Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Falcon fan here: Who you guys taking @ #2 overall?

I don't really think he has much of a say in what the Falcons do, and while you're over in Atlanta raining on parade I'll rain on yours.

Scott Linehan needs to save his job, so he needs someone to contribute day one. If Jake Long's there they could draft him to try and sure up the offensive line and get the high power offense back on track. Or take the defensive end to help sure up the pass rush and make the defense less crapy. Taking a player that won't produce results anyone can see won't do a thing to help him.

Welcome to the club Falcon man

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Hate to rain on your parade, Falconator; but I believe at this point in time the Rams have Jake Long and Glen Dorsey at 1 and 2 at the top of their draft board. The only way this could change is if Dorsey fails his medical exam which he is scheduled to have this weekend in St. Louis; but don't count on it. If Miami selects Jake Long you can count on the Rams taking Glen Dorsey at number 2. But this brings up a different subject: Why don't the Falcons offer us one of your THREE 2nd round picks to exchange places with us? That way ya'll would be assured of scoring one of these fine prospects.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I really doubt our top need isn't 1 or 2 on our board. Even though I would love that trade Thomas Dimitroff would be the dumbest person in the NFL if he did that.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

In most of the polls on this site, Chris Long wins by a landslide, but the team is allegedly very high on Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey. I understand we're supposed to be having all of the big four come to town this weekend, and impressions there could have a significant impact on the final stacking of the draft board.

I'd say Chris Long is the most likely pick, but there's still a lot of debate about it.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

If the Fin's took Jake Long at #1, I would be running up to the podium within 30 seconds. Chris Long all the way.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    I don't really think he has much of a say in what the Falcons do, and while you're over in Atlanta raining on parade I'll rain on yours.

Scott Linehan needs to save his job, so he needs someone to contribute day one. If Jake Long's there they could draft him to try and sure up the offensive line and get the high power offense back on track. Or take the defensive end to help sure up the pass rush and make the defense less crapy. Taking a player that won't produce results anyone can see won't do a thing to help him.

Welcome to the club Falcon man
    Uh, this is a draft to improve the St. Louis Rams, not to help Scott Linehan to keep his job. It's the FO's responsibility to improve the talent base of this team, and it's Linehan's job to coach it. If the Rams start drafting to save the coach then we are truly doomed.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I really doubt our top need isn't 1 or 2 on our board. Even though I would love that trade Thomas Dimitroff would be the dumbest person in the NFL if he did that.
    Of course our top needs are on our board, but this does not necessarily mean that we use our first round pick to address them. In fact it is usually a big mistake to use a high first round pick on a perceived need instead of just taking the best player available. And, btw, how do we know what our "needs" are going to be later this year let alone next year and beyond.

And why wouldn't T. Dimitroff make this trade if he felt it would substantially improve his football team? When you look at the Falcons they kinda remind me of the Rams, except they are solid at the DE position. So why not trade up to secure the services of a Glen Dorsey (or Jake Long, if he's available) if you believe that either one could make an immediate impact on your success?

WHAT SAY YE?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Of course our top needs are on our board, but this does not necessarily mean that we use our first round pick to address them. In fact it is usually a big mistake to use a high first round pick on a perceived need instead of just taking the best player available. And, btw, how do we know what our "needs" are going to be later this year let alone next year and beyond.
    I think value:need ratios are completely contextual. It depends on how big the need and how much disparity in perceived value. We wouldn't take a receiver with the #2 pick overall no matter how great the need because there is a big difference in talent between the top receivers at the players rated at the top of the board. However, between say Dorsey and Chris Long, you're talking about two players who are both believed to be extraordinary talents, one who plays at our biggest need position (DE) and one who plays at a position (DT) that looked better last year than it had in years.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

And why wouldn't T. Dimitroff make this trade if he felt it would substantially improve his football team? When you look at the Falcons they kinda remind me of the Rams, except they are solid at the DE position. So why not trade up to secure the services of a Glen Dorsey (or Jake Long, if he's available) if you believe that either one could make an immediate impact on your success?

WHAT SAY YE?
    Um because they are trading 3 picks to move up 1 freaking spot!!! They also have many other needs they can address with those picks. With your philosophy and since you say we are similar to the Falcons we should trade up and secure Chris long with our 2,3 picks. That doesn't make sense

We don't know what our needs will be in the future, but why would you try to address them when you have huge needs right in front of our face. Are you trying to say something will happen to Carriker the next few years and we will need an UT.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

So adding an impact rookie doesn't help our team then?

RealRam is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I think value: need ratios are completely contextual. It depends on how big the need and how much disparity in perceived value. We wouldn't take a receiver with the #2 pick overall no matter how great the need because there is a big difference in talent between the top receivers at the players rated at the top of the board. However, between say Dorsey and Chris Long, you're talking about two players who are both believed to be extraordinary talents, one who plays at our biggest need position (DE) and one who plays at a position (DT) that looked better last year than it had in years.
    Smart comment, GF.

As for your original Q Falconator, I've been flipping the coin for a few days now with Chris Long on one side, Vernon Gholston the other. Most of the time it's CL: say, 65-35%.

However, yesterday, today, wow. I now have a "bouncing tetrahedron" to contemplate and keep stirring. Four collegiate mug shots.

You've read about the Fab Four that some of us are locked onto. It's true: Dorsey. Gholston. Long & Long. You also read from TX, him being one of the few in here that are steadfast believers in Dorsey. And with good reason. Glenn currently holds the highest stock value.

Bottom line. I'm still standing and speculating on the Long / Gholston fence but as of today, I'm leaning more on the side of the Cavalier.

:bash: Thanks for visiting.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-13-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Smiley

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Look at my avatar, and that should answer your question. If Chris Long goes #1, I think hands down it is Dorsey at #2, I would go as far as to say that is a near lock.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If I was the Rams' I'd just hand the Dolphins guy our pick on his way up to the podium with the one name of Long.

Welcome Falcon, you're welcome to Dorsey, he's a good pick, though I'd be happier if he went to the AFC. Personally, I'd love to take Dorsey if he was at a need position.

Falconator Guest

Hate to rain on your parade, Falconator; but I believe at this point in time the Rams have Jake Long and Glen Dorsey at 1 and 2 at the top of their draft board. The only way this could change is if Dorsey fails his medical exam which he is scheduled to have this weekend in St. Louis; but don't count on it. If Miami selects Jake Long you can count on the Rams taking Glen Dorsey at number 2. But this brings up a different subject: Why don't the Falcons offer us one of your THREE 2nd round picks to exchange places with us? That way ya'll would be assured of scoring one of these fine prospects.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Ramarkable,

the Falcons are not going to "move up" to #2 and certainly will not give up a 2nd round pick to do so. If Dorsey and Jake Long are off the board which seems like a 50/50 proposition to me at this point, then the Falcons are in a bad spot at #3 since the "value" on the board would be DE-Chris Long and the Falcons already have John Abraham and last years top 10 pick-Jamaal Anderson(who looks like a possible bust at DE but too soon to declare).

If Dorsey and Jake are gone, then Falcons will probably try to "move down" a few spots(if they can!). I believe the Falcons will NOT take Matt Ryan at #3 but they may use two of their 2nd rounders to move back into the first round for Brian Brohm. Therefore, the Falcons cannot give up a 2nd rounder to move up to #2 overall......sorry ramarkable, no chance at all that Falcons would move up to your spot....

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I believe the Rams are going to draft Dorsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Ramarkable,

the Falcons are not going to "move up" to #2 and certainly will not give up a 2nd round pick to do so. If Dorsey and Jake Long are off the board which seems like a 50/50 proposition to me at this point, then the Falcons are in a bad spot at #3 since the "value" on the board would be DE-Chris Long and the Falcons already have John Abraham and last years top 10 pick-Jamaal Anderson(who looks like a possible bust at DE but too soon to declare).

If Dorsey and Jake are gone, then Falcons will probably try to "move down" a few spots(if they can!). I believe the Falcons will NOT take Matt Ryan at #3 but they may use two of their 2nd rounders to move back into the first round for Brian Brohm. Therefore, the Falcons cannot give up a 2nd rounder to move up to #2 overall......sorry ramarkable, no chance at all that Falcons would move up to your spot....
    1.) You mean if Jake Long goes to Miami at No. 1 you wouldn't trade one of your 2nd round picks to the Rams to guarantee getting Glen Dorsey? As you said yourself "...then the Falcons are in a bad spot at #3..." I don't understand your reasoning here.

2.) As an Arkansas fan I agree that it is way too early to label J. Anderson a bust. Remember that he played WR in high school and has really only played DE for a few years now.

3.) Good luck with trying to trade down. I believe that Miami's been trying for some time now and has now realized that it is just too tough and expensive for most teams to move up. Interesting that you are willing to blow two 2nd rounders for a shot at Brian Brohm, but not one for a player like Dorsey or Jake Long. Oh well, to each his own.

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast