Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Falcon fan here: Who you guys taking @ #2 overall?

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    1. Um because they are trading 3 picks to move up 1 freaking spot!!! ..... 2. Are you trying to say something will happen to Carriker the next few years and we will need an UT.
    !.) Please read my post more carefully. I suggested that the Falcons consider trading ONE of their 2nd round picks.

2.) Um... "something" already has happened to Mr. Carriker as he is currently rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder. And this is essentially the same injury that O. Pace sustained in the Carolina game and many on this board want to draft Jake Long as insurance for Pace because of it's potential long-term effects.

WHAT SAY YE?

rcdavis1980 is offline Registered User

Awesome idea, but I dont see anyone in the second round that can make the impact of Dorsey. I have been watching him play the last 4 years down at LSU and the guy is a dominant game changer that the Rams are sorely lacking on D.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

The Rams need to draft the best available player more than they should be concern about '08 needs. When you draft in the 2nd spot the Rams need to get a dominate player at any position.

Would you pass on Peyton Manning if you had a quality QB? NO, so why would you pass on a dominate DT.....

Chris Long is a nice player but probably will not dominate DE in this league. He will play well and have a long career but I would not expect frequent Pro Bowl invitations.

Dominating DT are very hard to find in this league..... Dorsey IMHO will become that player in the near future.....

GO RAMS

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Dominating DT are very hard to find in this league..... Dorsey IMHO will become that player in the near future.....

GO RAMS
    Like Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins or Dewayne Robertson?

My point is that a pass rusher, even mediocre ones are much harder to find than defensive tackles, even if they are the second coming of Warren Sapp. Not to mention that we have four defensive tackles that formed a pretty good rotation last year while we're down from our unimpressive defensive ends from last year. We also have three young DT's and no young DE's.

If Chris Long is there, he's more of a value for the Rams because he fills a need and will be a pro bowl caliber player.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Like Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins or Dewayne Robertson?

My point is that a pass rusher, even mediocre ones are much harder to find than defensive tackles, even if they are the second coming of Warren Sapp. Not to mention that we have four defensive tackles that formed a pretty good rotation last year while we're down from our unimpressive defensive ends from last year. We also have three young DT's and no young DE's.

If Chris Long is there, he's more of a value for the Rams because he fills a need and will be a pro bowl caliber player.
    What about Justin Smith, Jevon Kearse, Andre Carter, and I'm sure if I wanted to do some research I can name some more. These guys were available to the highest bidder.

I guess if you feel Long is rated fairly close to Dorsey your argument would make sense.

However, I see Long as a good player but not a dominate type player. Dorsey when healthy will dominate in the NFL.

I really want Long due to what the Rams needs are however I feel that Dorsey is the type of player you just can not pass on.

GO RAMS

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Exactly Teke. We would have 5 DE's who are still decent if we get Dorsey.

We would have 3 (that I know of) DE's, two that are vets and one who isn't good. Do the math, there is an obvious need at DE. Moving Carriker won't answer our need for DE. He probably won't perform well. Though its an option, you won't see it.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Of course our top needs are on our board, but this does not necessarily mean that we use our first round pick to address them. In fact it is usually a big mistake to use a high first round pick on a perceived need instead of just taking the best player available. And, btw, how do we know what our "needs" are going to be later this year let alone next year and beyond.

And why wouldn't T. Dimitroff make this trade if he felt it would substantially improve his football team? When you look at the Falcons they kinda remind me of the Rams, except they are solid at the DE position. So why not trade up to secure the services of a Glen Dorsey (or Jake Long, if he's available) if you believe that either one could make an immediate impact on your success?

WHAT SAY YE?
    Because RAMarkable, the Falcons are even a less talented team than the Rams - Falcons need help at almost every position. If Falcons trade with the top 3 pick, it will be trading down - not up. Falcons are uniquely and advantageously situated with their three 2nd round picks - they need to make each pick. If Rams draft Dorsey, then hopefully the Falcons will "trade down" and take one of the OT prospects (Clady/Albert/Chris Williams).

I think the Falcons might trade back "up" into the 1sd round to grab a QB they like (Brian Brohm) but would have to use two of the 2nd rounders to do that - That strategy would not jive with trading up for Glen Dorsey as well. If Rams want to trade down, they will have to look for another trade partner - guarantee it won't be the Falcons......

I see Falcons selecting Dorsey if you guys pass on him. If Dorsey is gone, hopefully we trade down - hope like crazy we don't take Matt-Freakin'-Ryan - ridiculously overrated QB...

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Because RAMarkable, the Falcons are even a less talented team than the Rams - Falcons need help at almost every position. If Falcons trade with the top 3 pick, it will be trading down - not up. Falcons are uniquely and advantageously situated with their three 2nd round picks - they need to make each pick. If Rams draft Dorsey, then hopefully the Falcons will "trade down" and take one of the OT prospects (Clady/Albert/Chris Williams).

I think the Falcons might trade back "up" into the 1sd round to grab a QB they like (Brian Brohm) but would have to use two of the 2nd rounders to do that - That strategy would not jive with trading up for Glen Dorsey as well. If Rams want to trade down, they will have to look for another trade partner - guarantee it won't be the Falcons......

I see Falcons selecting Dorsey if you guys pass on him. If Dorsey is gone, hopefully we trade down - hope like crazy we don't take Matt-Freakin'-Ryan - ridiculously overrated QB...

I don't see how the Falcons could be less talented than this Rams squad, especially on defense. However, if you get Dorsey your defense automatically gets better than the Rams no matter who we select.

Falconator Guest

[quote=txramsfan;224478]I don't see how the Falcons could be less talented than this Rams squad, especially on defense. However, if you get Dorsey your defense automatically gets better than the Rams no matter who we select.

well txramsfan,

its like this. Falcons were a "bad" defense last year and that was with their best corner(DeAngelo Hall), their best DT(Rod Coleman) both who have now been traded and released, respectively.

We also have the worst overpaid, overhyped linebacker in the league - Keith Brooking - also known as "pilejumper" and "highway 56" because runningbacks just run right by him. Falcons starting CBs as of this writing is Chris Houston(rookie) and Von Hutchins(who was free agent pick-up). So, yeah - Falcons defense is pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Exactly Teke. We would have 5 DE's who are still decent if we get Dorsey.

We would have 3 (that I know of) DE's, two that are vets and one who isn't good. Do the math, there is an obvious need at DE. Moving Carriker won't answer our need for DE. He probably won't perform well. Though its an option, you won't see it.
    I think you meant 5 DT's?

Remember the draft has more than 1 round.....

You can use a 2nd, 3rd, and if you still feel you nedd help at the position be my guess and use the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds for a DE.

Also, do not forget that Carricker and Wroten can play DE if needed.

Long was a frontrunner for the Rams selection but alot of draft experts feel that the Rams are going Dorsey....

Why do you think Mr. Falconator is so interested he wants the Falcons to get Dorsey.

Set them straight Mr. Falconator.....

GO RAMS

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Falconator, welcome aboard. The way I figure, Dorsey is yours for the taking. The Longs will be the first two off the board, so you could get a good piece to build around with Dorsey.

By the way, I've always been a big fan of Mike Smith (even to the point of advocating for him when Martz left town here). What's the early (other than the normal honeymoon takes) word on him?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Falconator Guest

Smile Re: Falcon fan here: Who you guys taking @ #2 overall?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Falconator, welcome aboard. The way I figure, Dorsey is yours for the taking. The Longs will be the first two off the board, so you could get a good piece to build around with Dorsey.

By the way, I've always been a big fan of Mike Smith (even to the point of advocating for him when Martz left town here). What's the early (other than the normal honeymoon takes) word on him?
    Thanks HUbison, glad to be aboard - very impressed with the message board members - think we have more at atlantafalcons.com but more is not always better!

As far as Mike Smith goes, I like the hiring. The guy is very good with the media and seems to be a super nice guy - unlike "jerks" Petrino and Jim Mora, Jr. I think Smith will be a good coach but I think its safe to say that Falcon fans "want" to like him but most are adopting the old "wait-n-see" approach with him. Smith's overall stated philosophy is he wants a "physical" team which controls the "line of scrimmage". The Falcons have been so terribly BAD on the offensive line for so long - this is MUSIC to the ears of the die-hard Falcons fans...

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

oh yeah Hubison,

hope you are right about Glen Dorsey being available at #3 overall......he would look good in Falcon uni......we need players with dominant play and attitude - he would fit the bill for Falcons just like Chris Long would fit the bill for the Rams...

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Smith's overall stated philosophy is he wants a "physical" team which controls the "line of scrimmage".
    I believe it! He's buddies with Jack Del Rio from both Baltimore and Jacksonville, and should bring that same smash-mouth mentality to Atlanta.

I know I'd be excited if I were you guys.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast