• 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Mikey

Thread: Falcons/Rams deal back on? Atlanta reportedly NOT moving up to #1 pick

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Falcons/Rams deal back on? Atlanta reportedly NOT moving up to #1 pick

Falcons Not Interested In Trading For Clowney & No. 1 Pick
    May 1, 2014 4:37 PM

Houston (CBS HOUSTON) – The Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans will not be working together on a trade for the No. 1 overall pick involving Jadeveon Clowney, SportsRadio 610 has learned.

The Falcons are interested in trading up to acquire a player they value above their spot at No. 6, but they do not believe that player is worth picking with the No. 1 pick. SportsRadio 610 has also learned that the player the Falcons are interested in is not Jadeveon Clowney.

The Falcons were one of a number of trade possibilities for the Texans as they figure out what they want to do with the number one pick in the draft.

John McClain said last week that the Texans are deciding between Clowney and Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel if they stay at the first pick, but they would be willing to trade down if the offer is good enough. If the Texans do trade down, they would likely target Kahlil Mack out of Buffalo or QB Blake Bortles.
    If this is true, does this now improve the likelihood of the Rams and Falcons striking up a deal again? If Clowney goes #1, then the Falcons could move up to #2 and take Robinson or Mack.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Falcons/Rams deal back on? Atlanta reportedly NOT moving up to #1 pick

Seems to me that, as long as Atlanta offfers sufficient compensation (2014 2nd round pick and a 2015 3rd round pick would work for me), its a no brainer.

If a QB goes in the Top 5, then the Rams would still get one of the "Big 5" prospects at No. 6.

If not, Mike Evans and Taylor Lewan would likely be the next options, and either would be a good choice.
    Randart likes this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I can't help but shake the Gentlemen's agreement comment Snead did on Eisen's podcast. I just think there is some connection there between him and Atlanta. Some deal that they are agreeing too. I could be off but deep down I Feel it.

At six might still get Matthews. If not Lewen would be good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Donald taken at that spot by us if we moved, and hope for Lewan at 13. So many options :-)

Maybe because he was too far in between, not high enough for a 2 spot, not likely to fall to 13, but haven't heard Evans name associated with the Rams at all lately. Outside of the clan I mean.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Evans was one of the three players the Rams were going to Texas A&M to work out.
    Randart likes this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

That is true. I assumed he was more of an oak to Manziel's hickory in the smoke dept.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Time for the Rams to get a Pro Bowl player. If they stay put they should. Back to #6 and they may not....Of course they may miss on #2 also... Man this is a tough one....Move up and take Clowney?

Mikey is online now Registered User

Trade down to 6 get a 2014 2nd and 2015 3rd. Trade up to 8 give up 13 and our 2014 2nd. Moved down and back up, our 2nd round pick is now Atlanta's #37(seven spots higher than ours we traded away to move up) and gained a 2015 3rd. Pick Matthews and Evans(betting Watkins is gone by 6).

Sign me up for doing cartwheels up and down the street.
    Randart likes this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Seems to me that, as long as Atlanta offfers sufficient compensation (2014 2nd round pick and a 2015 3rd round pick would work for me), its a no brainer.

If a QB goes in the Top 5, then the Rams would still get one of the "Big 5" prospects at No. 6.

If not, Mike Evans and Taylor Lewan would likely be the next options, and either would be a good choice.
    About a week ago I had a thought about this sort of thing and what an outside the box move Snisher could pull.

This is the first part of it, moving down to 6 with ATL.

The second, the outside the box part, is a second move down from 6 to 10 so that DET can jump TB to grab Evans. This idea supposes that Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson and Watkins are taken in the top five.

I envision the additional seconds this year and additional picks next year. With the depth of this draft, Snisher would have a field day.
    Semper Fi!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    About a week ago I had a thought about this sort of thing and what an outside the box move Snisher could pull.

This is the first part of it, moving down to 6 with ATL.

The second, the outside the box part, is a second move down from 6 to 10 so that DET can jump TB to grab Evans. This idea supposes that Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson and Watkins are taken in the top five.

I envision the additional seconds this year and additional picks next year. With the depth of this draft, Snisher would have a field day.
    This kind of reminds me of the initial RGIII trade. The Rams move down from 2 to 6, hope Richardson or Blackmon fall, then when neither do, trade down again.

I could see the Rams exploring a trade with Buffalo or Detroit if the Fab Five go in the first five picks, dropping to 9-10, and taking either the best OL/DB on the board.

Then again, in that scenario, they could probably also just sit there and take either Evans or Lewan. There would likely be some that would prefer they do that rather than trade down a second time.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This kind of reminds me of the initial RGIII trade. The Rams move down from 2 to 6, hope Richardson or Blackmon fall, then when neither do, trade down again.

I could see the Rams exploring a trade with Buffalo or Detroit if the Fab Five go in the first five picks, dropping to 9-10, and taking either the best OL/DB on the board.

Then again, in that scenario, they could probably also just sit there and take either Evans or Lewan. There would likely be some that would prefer they do that rather than trade down a second time.
    Your thoughts mirror mine on that earlier guess. There is more to my thought than just that double trade down from 2.

I think it's also plausible, funny how so much is huh?, that Snisher may move down from 13 also. My thinking is that with such a depth of quality prospects, they may be looking at filling and reinforcing positions to close the gap with the NFCW. I think Dallas may want to jump to 13 to grab either Donald or Hageman, or a DB.

Whatever Rams do, they need to seriously address the OL and OL depth and overall team depth. Smith isn't, and Williams & McLoed shouldn't have been a starters.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -05-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    Semper Fi!

Sauceman is offline Registered User

I would be SUPER EXCITED for this. I don't have a "Big 5". I have a "Big 6".

In order:

1. Robinson (OT/G)
    2. Clowney (DE/OLB)
    3. Watkins (WR)
    4. Mack (OLB/DE)
    5. Matthews (OT)
    6. Evans (WR)

If we move from #2 to #6, I would want the following trades (ideally):

Rams give: #2
    Rams get: #6, #68(3rd), 2015 1st

Rams get: #6, #37(2nd), 2015 2nd

Rams get: #6, #37(2nd), #68(3rd), 2015 3rd

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I honestly don't care who we trade down with, I would just like for us to trade back from 2 so that the list of players we grabbed in the RG3 deal grows. It would be fun to look back at the trade 15 years from now and see a list 10 players deep with 5+ pro bowlers while the Redskins and RG3 continue to struggle.