Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By VegasRam
  • 3 Post By jerseyramsfan
  • 5 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: Fans Should Welcome Saffold

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Fans Should Welcome Saffold

Some fans, seeing that Rodger Saffold spurned his old team to sign in Oakland, are gonna be all over Saffold now that he is back. Every practice missed, every ding all players get, is gonna see trolls from Oakland coming over to join some bitter Rams fans to rip Saffold.

The fact is, Saffold got a ridiculous deal no NFL player of his stature would pass up, a deal the Rams wouldn't match, for good reason.

They know Saffold is an emerging player , maybe even a star at guard. Paul Boudreau, a tough guy, is his biggest fan.

Jeff Fisher loves the guy too, which is why he wasn't purged when Fisher cam in and remade the roster.

Saffold is a quiet guy, who I interviewed and chatted with many times at Rams Park, but he is also a smart, hardworking, and nice person, a midwest kid who came in with little fanfare and did his best every day.

Several team leaders went out of their way to call Saffold and try to convince him to stay, and they are very happy he is doing that now. They have no problem at all that he left first, then came back due to rejection.

In fact, Sam Bradford and Zach Stacy may call Al Davis' son to thank the Raiders for getting cold feet.

The NFL is a business, just ask Peyton Manning, and contract stuff should not be taken as a reason to hate on a good man.

Barry Waller

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Re: Fans Should Welcome Saffold

Saffold is a good guy, and actually came out of all this fine, as his guaranteed $19M is close the $21M offered by Oakland. Happy for him, and really glad he's back.

As far as the fans, my take is it was about 5 to 1 wishing him well. Don't think there was/will be a lot of animosity towards him.
    RealRam likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Mikey is offline Registered User

Personally I was never mad at Rodger for signing the deal he was offered in Oakland. I was happy we didn't pay him that so we could hold our breath waiting for him to get hurt. He's a good team guy, he's well liked by his teammates and is loved by the coaches. I truly hope he stays healthy and plays to the level he's capable of. It cannot be denied that he has proven to be an injury risk and that makes a five years $31.7 million deal with $19.5 million guaranteed plus incentives to stay healthy a very expensive roll of the dice.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Can't blame Saffold for going after that pay day, and it's not like the Rams deal was close to what he ended up getting from Oakland to the point where he was arguing over pennies

Rambos is offline Registered User

BM at the post is already trying to make Saffold return a bad thing. The Rams should have held his feet to the fire. That is so wrong IMO, the deal we offered is the deal we offered.

rammiser is offline Registered User

So if the Rams plan to use Saffold at gaurd do we look at guys like Jordan Gross,Eben Britton,Zach Streif and Jamarcus Webb to possibly start at RT? Do we just draft a tackle or keep Barksdale or both? I also wouldnt mind seeng us bring back Shelley Smith to help with depth at gaurd.
    Just Fix It

richtree is offline Registered User

I just wish we but incentives for him playing in 13 plus games a year.....

If healthy he can do well at guard and get better......he didn't even practice yet, and there is already injury concerns....

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I couldn't be happier he's on his way back. If this is what had to happen. Who cares. The guys a starter on our line again. Congratulations to Saffold and welcome back!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The NFL is a business, just ask Peyton Manning, and contract stuff should not be taken as a reason to hate on a good man.

Do they know how many practices, let alone games he has missed in his time here?

And now he is older?

OK, that's fine, we need to move on with a REAL guard, a big tough one, anyway
    The price of mediocrity is the problem, not the cost of stars.
    In two, three years TOPS, he'll be cut, mark my words.
    I agree, there are definitely some individuals that need to remember not to use contract stuff as a reason to hate on a good man.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm just glad he's back. Even though the Rams didn't get Byrd, this offseason would have been a whole lot worse if we would have lost Saffold too
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Number one free agent objective realized, at a price that is fair market value for a player of Rodger's ability.

Who could be upset?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm with you, 9erhater, who could be upset or mad at this development? Saffold got an offer that he couldn't refuse, because it was way above market value, and expected to be playing back at LT where he wanted to be. When Davis realized that his GM made a horrible mistake, he forced the hand of the doctor and GM to vid the deal. Saffold, now hurt, was able to learn the lesson that the grass is not always greener, and I think the Rams won a loyal player after we played the safe harbor by not lowering our offer.

I expect that Saffold will indeed thank the Rams for staying true to him and will work his butt off to be that Pro-bowl Guard that Fisher thinks that he can be. We got our guy at our price and made him feel betetr after the crazy twist of events. Win all the way around, as far as I can see.

So Barry, why do you think anyone won't welcome him back?
    I believe!