JustaCoastie is offline Registered User

FB Mike Karney, A good one

Hello all,

A long time Saints Fan here. I decide to register on ClanRam just to come in and tell ya'll a bit about Full Back Mike Karney. Since I've always had a fondness for the Rams and felt their fans were kindly enough, I felt moved to give ya'll a fan's view of your new acquisition.

He has been on of my most favorite Saint, always a hard worker and never, ever a "Me" type of player. Hell, as a lead blocker, the very nature of his job was to make sure other Running Backs excelled. He was always well spoken, intelligent, and was quick to praise others first. M.Karney can be emotional and has been known to shed a tear or two, especially in highly charged games. He is a solid locker room and team guy with zero off-field issues that I know of.

M.Karney is a bull of a man and can flat out knock defenders on their butts. Here's an example of what I mean; in a home game against the Atlanta Falclowns the Saints where on the 2-yard line and the call was a running play to the left. RB Deuce McAllister got the call & the ball from Brees and followed M.Karney on the sweep. All three Atlanta linebackers decide to close on the ball carrier but they all took the same attack angle. M.Karney block the first LB'er into the second, he then pushed those two into the third LB'er... by blocking all three at the same time he sealed the end and Deuce cruised in for the score. So, yea, he's a great run blocker.

Against the Dallas Cowgirls game in 2006 he had a 3-Touchdown game. Up to that point he had never had his number called to attempt the score, that night he was "on fire". So, yea, he can score too.

It sadden us Saints fans to see the Bull leave but they say the NFL is a business. True but sometimes business sucks. Last year the Saints Offense was number one in the league in several categories but suffered a set back in "short yardage" situations and I guess the front office felt the need to let go of Karney as a result. Probably the same reason long-time Saint McAllister got the axe.

Anywho, I will follow the Rams this year to see how M.Karney works out for you guys and I really hope you ya'll have a great year. Here's a good draft and a short off-season. C-Ya.

JC

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: FB Mike Karney, A good one

Appreciate it JustaCoastie. It's good to now that Karney was respected and admired in New Orleans, and that his reputation is great. It's always good to have a fullback with the nickname 'the bull'. The Saints have always been one of the few other franchises in the NFL i have respected, can't say that goes for the Cheatriots, America's "suckiest" team (The Cowgirls) and the Seahawks.

Hope ya'll have a good year and draft too, but if we meet in the playoffs, it's game time baby.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Thanks for your insite Coastie. I also respect the Saints, and if the Rams isn't in the hunt for the SB, I sure would luv for ya to get there. My friend Shaun say's the same thing about Karney, 3 LB's on one play. Is there a highlight film of that?

07McCarthy is offline Registered User

I also respect the saints and they are actually my 2nd favorite team if i had to chose another. I was actually thinking that if bartell left it looked like it was gonna be the saints and even though i was mad he might of left, i was happy it was too the saints. But hey he did what was right and came back home!

But anyway thnx for the insight and i love this signing! Good luck to you this season and I hope my boi Regg breaks out this year!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

JustaCoastie,

Thx for the insider's view.

Couple of things worry me here. Why let this guy go? Evans is older, not really a better receiver or ballcarrier. That's been in the press as the reason but the numbers don't add up.

Karney has more catches in fewer years. True, Evans has been used as a RB more often but 50 carries is the most he had in a season. More about Belichick's scheme than his being the next Le'Ron McClain.

Your statement that The Saints "suffered a set back in "short yardage" situations" is a concern,too. Was Karney ineffective due to injury; I know he missed a couple of games last year?

I may be worrying unnecessarily but we picked up a FB last year, Kreider, who came with a good rep from The Steelers & was a bust.He had suffered a knee problem & looked to me like he'd lost both lateral movement & his taste for contact, making him easy to get around in blitz pick-ups and tentative as a lead blocker. Useless, in a word.

Anything you know about Karney's health and why your short game went bad would be appreciated.

Btw,wish we'd been able to steal Zach Strief from you...lol
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-14-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    JustaCoastie,

Thx for the insider's view.

Couple of things worry me here. Why let this guy go? Evans is older, not really a better receiver or ballcarrier. That's been in the press as the reason but the numbers don't add up.

Karney has more catches in fewer years. True, Evans has been used as a RB more often but 50 carries is the most he had in a season. More about Belichick's scheme than his being the next Le'Ron McClain.

Your statement that The Saints "suffered a set back in "short yardage" situations" is a concern,too. Was Karney ineffective due to injury; I know he missed a couple of games last year?

I may be worrying unnecessarily but we picked up a FB last year, Kreider, who came with a good rep from The Steelers & was a bust.He had suffered a knee problem & looked to me like he'd lost both lateral movement & his taste for contact, making him easy to get around in blitz pick-ups and tentative as a lead blocker. Useless, in a word.

Anything you know about Karney's health and why your short game went bad would be appreciated.

Btw,wish we'd been able to steal Zach Strief from you...lol
    Azul,

I not a fan who questions the Head Coach or Front Office moves but sometimes they do things that are real head scratchers. Last year we had a dozen or so short yardage situations and could not pick up a yard or three. Real drive killers. I believe M.Karney was in on maybe 1/4 of those plays... so it's hard for me to say it was his lack of ability (blocking or ball carrying) to get the first down. Clearly the HC and FO felt that a "change" was needed and cut our heavy backs in order to look for someone new for short yards.

Fact: M.Karney was always very verbal and supportive of D.McAllister when he was coming off of several knee injuries. You probably know how impatient some "fans" can be... a guy gets a knee tweaked and people want to get rid of him, regardless of his track record and history.

Non-Fact: Some folks speculated that M.Karney was released because "he wouldn't block as well" for Reggie Bush and the two did not get along in the locker room. I think that is bullsht. Karney's a professional and a team guy, he would never take a play off just because #25 got his number called.

Fact: The HC and FO see something in FB Heath Evans that aligns more with their future plans than M.Karney. So.... Karney's wearing Blue & Gold and Evans is in Black & Gold.

Fact: Mike's release caugth a lot of us fans off guard... didn't see it coming. So the truth is there is no clear cut reason that I can say why the Saints let him go. But, I do know that you guys picked a great asset in the back field who just didn't fit into our future plans. And that... is a real bummer.

Oh yea... and M.Karney's got some real talent for picking up that extra blitzer to protect the QB. I'll try to post a highlight video I have of M.Karney on this thread... if I can. C-Ya.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by tonyray05 View Post
    Thanks for your insite Coastie. I also respect the Saints, and if the Rams isn't in the hunt for the SB, I sure would luv for ya to get there. My friend Shaun say's the same thing about Karney, 3 LB's on one play. Is there a highlight film of that?
    I've got a highlight video on my HDrive but I can't figure out how to imbed it in this thread. Sorry man.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyray05 View Post
    Is there a highlight film of that?

Tonyray,

Since I could not link what I have; here is a link to upload the Mike Karney highlight video, 66M worth. It's a great tribute. Enjoy.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

JC

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustaCoastie View Post
    Azul,

I not a fan who questions the Head Coach or Front Office moves but sometimes they do things that are real head scratchers. Last year we had a dozen or so short yardage situations and could not pick up a yard or three. Real drive killers. I believe M.Karney was in on maybe 1/4 of those plays... so it's hard for me to say it was his lack of ability (blocking or ball carrying) to get the first down. Clearly the HC and FO felt that a "change" was needed and cut our heavy backs in order to look for someone new for short yards.

Fact: M.Karney was always very verbal and supportive of D.McAllister when he was coming off of several knee injuries. You probably know how impatient some "fans" can be... a guy gets a knee tweaked and people want to get rid of him, regardless of his track record and history.

Non-Fact: Some folks speculated that M.Karney was released because "he wouldn't block as well" for Reggie Bush and the two did not get along in the locker room. I think that is bullsht. Karney's a professional and a team guy, he would never take a play off just because #25 got his number called.

Fact: The HC and FO see something in FB Heath Evans that aligns more with their future plans than M.Karney. So.... Karney's wearing Blue & Gold and Evans is in Black & Gold.

Fact: Mike's release caugth a lot of us fans off guard... didn't see it coming. So the truth is there is no clear cut reason that I can say why the Saints let him go. But, I do know that you guys picked a great asset in the back field who just didn't fit into our future plans. And that... is a real bummer.

Oh yea... and M.Karney's got some real talent for picking up that extra blitzer to protect the QB. I'll try to post a highlight video I have of M.Karney on this thread... if I can. C-Ya.

JC
    Thx again for the feedback. Love hearing that MK is a good team guy.

I know what you mean about impatient and fickle fans. We have some guys like CB Tye Hill who have had injury problems that folks want to ignore when assessing why they have under-achieved.

In Kreider's case, however,I think he was just done. He was as healthy as he would get & just didn't have "it" any more,either mentally or physically.

The fact that he was cut during the season when we desperately needed a FB & had no healthy back-up tells you something.

I know that FO politics/strategy isn't your thing but if Karney is as good as ever, it really is almost as puzzling as the Peppers deal in Carolina.

You'd know I was lying if I'd said I'm sorry about Karney, if that's the case, but I do feel your pain if your FO is making a habit of letting go of good upcomers or alienating valuable vets. Been there....been there for a loooong time.

Tried to look at the video but it seems I have to sign up to view it. Will try later when I have time/opportunity.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-14-2009 at 05:18 PM.