Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By thermobee
  • 2 Post By LARAM
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Few post combine thoughts

thermobee is offline Registered User

Few post combine thoughts

I am very much part of masses that did not want a WR in the first round but after watching the combine I think Im starting to change my mind. The two players that stood out for me are Mike Evans and Brandon Gilbert. I believe that if we draft those two in the first, they will make both our WR and CB groups way better given the fact that we already have play makers in there. It would also allow is to part with Finnegan, which will result in salary cap relief that can be used somewhere else.

So that said, I hope the Rams trade out of the #2 spot and pick up some extra picks even if its for less value than what the chart says. This will allow them to pick up both Evans and Gilbert.

GG Rams
    LARAM likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Few post combine thoughts

I really like both these players as well and with the moves down hope we can still pick up one of the better O-tackles as well. I am so leaning towards Lewan now that I don't really want the other guys as much... Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the post combine and how it could affect our choices. One other thing that is sad in that I am not sure he will ever be the same as he was, is Cort Finny doubt we dump him cause of Fish and Sneads loyalty to him. They already kind of said he would probably be back so I will be surprised if they let him go. Even though it might be for the betterment of the team going forward.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

At this point, I think the team would be crazy not to take Robinson. I don't even think we trade down now unless it is to 4 and we still get Robinson.

LARAM is offline Registered User

I think I'm in love with Mike Evans. We need this guy bad. We must be able to beat the Squawks secondary for the next few years. This guy is a monster. He is hard for anyone to defend. Didn't really know much about him until the combine and after watching his highlights on youtube. I like him better than Watkins.....i think we can trade down from #2 a few spots and scoop him up before #8, after that he will be gone.
    thermobee and Randart like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Justin Gilbert***
    lostsoul likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

kman is offline Registered User

I really think we need a WR..I really like Watkins but Evans would be a fine addition @13 as well

kman is offline Registered User

man, I just watched a Sammy Watkins highlights on youtube and then I watched Evans..Evans looked real nice, but omg, Watkins is so freaking explosive...imagine him and Tavon

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

I'd personally rather have Watkins than Evans, he's much more explosive and plays much bigger than most people his size. The thing is the Rams most likely won't pick him at #2, and he'll be long gone by the time we pick again at #13.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Speaking of SW highlights... [ I hadn't seen any of his at all, sorry. ]

No doubt Watkins is blue chip material, 'born winner' type of breed for WR. One of those gifted receivers that when a pass is thrown his way the football laces are steel and his hands are magnets -- I don't know his stats but I "doubt" he drops many passes. **Wink**

Here at the combine, Rams strength coach Rock Gullickson must be hoping Sammy becomes a Ram: "You join us and I'll make you stronger, faster yet!" Copy, paste blue link.

Vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFLN-WR-Sammy-Watkins-Combine-Performance/cbde0b2f-8de1-4760-a39b-35eb0ed3d325

...So, all of a sudden I'm thinking: Watkins at #2 / Lewan at #13!?!
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-27-2014 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Draft change of heart?

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

One thing that scares me about Sammy Watkins is his limited route running. Usually that's something that can be taught, but with the way the Rams have developed young WR's the past couple years I'm still a little wary

thermobee is offline Registered User

BTW I dont believe that a WR's highlights are the best way to judge how fast and explosive he is. You need to look at his full body of work.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Mike Martz was on the radio yesterday and commented that teams are reluctant to draft WRs as high as #2 but Watkins is a special player worthy of that consideration.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    BTW I dont believe that a WR's highlights are the best way to judge how fast and explosive he is. You need to look at his full body of work.
    It's that way for all players. Over the course of a year, you can get 10-20 good plays from any starter. I always love when people show highlights for DBs and LBers and they love showing big hits on smaller players. That's not going to translate to a long successful NFL career. Taylor Mays is perfect example.