Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beta Ram is offline Registered User

A Few Quick Points

I know that I may "get bashed" for this, and excuse me for my pessimism, but I've heard some of these on ESPN and NFL Network. Some of these are mine, others are not. Let opinions reign!

1. The Rams should draft a new QB. Bulger is getting up there, and Green is incapable of starting. I say draft Matt Ryan, Andre Woodson, or Brian Brohm in the first by trading down, ala trade with Philly for Sheppard; then address CB in Round 2.

2. CB is a glaring need. Trade for Lito Sheppard, draft one in Round 2/3.

3. OLman is a necessity! I see us drafting one in the first, then QB in the 2nd.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: A Few Quick Points

1st. If you are talking about signing a developmental QB late in the draft. 5th/ 6th than sure. You do realize that Bulger has still like 5 years left on his contract right?

2nd. CB is a glaring need, but I would be reluctant to give up anything higher than a 3rd for him.

3rd. Bring on a good Tackle to back up and eventually replace Pace.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Beta Ram View Post
    1. The Rams should draft a new QB. Bulger is getting up there, and Green is incapable of starting. I say draft Matt Ryan, Andre Woodson, or Brian Brohm in the first by trading down, ala trade with Philly for Sheppard; then address CB in Round 2.
    The Rams don't need a new starting QB. They need someone who will be ready to be a #2 in 2009, and a starter someday.

If you like Woodson, by the way, you could probably get him in the third round.

2. CB is a glaring need. Trade for Lito Sheppard, draft one in Round 2/3.
    How is CB a "glaring need"? Sheppard is a good player, but hardly a world beater. It would not surprise me in the least bit if one year from now Tye Hill is considered better than Sheppard. Behind him we have young CBs (Bartell, Wade). Do we really need to draft another one?

3. OLman is a necessity! I see us drafting one in the first, then QB in the 2nd.
    We might draft an O lineman in the first (J.Long). If we do, though, I can pretty much guarantee you that the second pick won't be a QB.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I agree the Rams need to consider drafting a young future QB but why should it be in round 1. T. Brady was not drafted on day one unless you feel we have a Future Hall of Famer in this draft it makes no sense to waste such a high draft pick on a QB.

THe Rams will have alot of talented QB's available on the second day of the draft. Lets hope we get lucky and select the next K Warner or T Brady....

In regards to the secondary Lito would be a nice addition to the Rams D ,however, only if they can get him cheap for a late round pick iee 3rd or 4th round....

The OL IMHO only needs to stay healthy. The Rams have talent on OL but it's been so inconsitent due to injuries. If the players can play their natural position and remain in the lineup for the majority of the year we will see more consistent play on the line..... I do not object to adding talent at this position but more than anything the Rams need to stay somewhat healthy so the talent can continue to develop.

Wolf is offline Registered User

I think Marc Bulger has his best years ahead of him. A late round pick in this year's draft or in next year's draft to develop, sure...but no trading down for Sheppard and getting Matt Ryan. That pick/trade has no impact on us at all other than the fact we just added a CB to our roster that will cost us a hefty price.

I consider our secondary "okay". Maybe...we haven't nothing to base it off of from last year. I mean, a terrible offense and no pass rush doesn't favor our secondary one bit. I think our need is defensive end. The interior is fine and I don't enjoy the thought of Dorsey, but that's me. I think Long or Gholston would be perfect and the best pick for us because they can really come in and make in impact for us...even in the secondary.

Offensive line...eh sure you could vow for Jake Long, but there's a lot of deep talent in the offensive tackle spot. when you think about it, all we would be doing is grooming Jake Long behind Pace. in all honesty, i want players to come in and bust people around and make plays right away.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Beta Ram View Post
    but I've heard some of these on ESPN and NFL Network.
    There's your problem, right there

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I agree the Rams need to consider drafting a young future QB but why should it be in round 1. T. Brady was not drafted on day one unless you feel we have a Future Hall of Famer in this draft it makes no sense to waste such a high draft pick on a QB.
    Tom Brady should be left out of every draft conversation except ones involving flukes. No team plans on drafting a future HOF in the 6th round. If people would have known what Brady was going to turn out to be, he would have been the first overall pick.

Drafting a QB in the 6th makes sense to be the eventual back up, but if you want a starter you have to draft day one. That said we do not need to draft said QB on day one this year.

Bulger is 31, Tom Brady is 30, Peyton Manning, 32, Matt Hasselback, 32, Jake Delhomme, 33, David Garrard, 30... None of these guys are too old, with the exception of the Panthes, none of them will touch a QB in the first day. And I think everyone will agree, Bulger is better than Delhomme and Garrard, and some will agree he's better than Hasselback. If he was a running back he'd be old, since he's not, he's not, get off it.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Tom Brady should be left out of every draft conversation except ones involving flukes. No team plans on drafting a future HOF in the 6th round. If people would have known what Brady was going to turn out to be, he would have been the first overall pick.
    Actually, I think a lot of teams hope to find a guy like that in the draft. If you need to find a guy to start next season, you pick a guy early. But you're always on the lookout for lower round talents you think you could bring around. That's how Bulger got his start. Same thing with Jake Delhomme, Derek Anderson, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck, Jon Kitna, Trent Green, Tony Romo...You look at the most productive quarterbacks in the last few years and you'll find a lot of guys who were drafted in the sixth round or lower (or went undrafted) who worked their way from training camp body to backup to starter. When you've got time before you need the guy to perform, you can tinker around with trying to find the next late great quarterback.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

so we should draft a combo of QB, OL and CB in the first two rounds?

no desire for a pass rusher at all?

Actually, I think a lot of teams hope to find a guy like that in the draft
    No kidding, every team wants to find HOFs in every draft...You take a guy higher because you think he's going to be a good player, you take a guy later that you think will be not so good a player. You don't take a guy in the 5th and make him your starter. There are times when there are good players found later in the draft. But they don't plan it like that!

No kidding, every team wants to find HOFs in every draft...You take a guy higher because you think he's going to be a good player, you take a guy later that you think will be not so good a player. You don't take a guy in the 5th and make him your starter. There are times when there are good players found later in the draft. But they don't plan it like that!
    Actually you will find alot of starting QB's in this league that did not get drafted on the 1st day. Consider the recent list you gave us that consisted M. Bulger, T. Brady, D. Garrard, M Hassellbeck, J Delhome, and P Manning.

HOW MANY OF THEM WERE 1st round picks. You do not have to draft a QB in the 1st round. Peyton like QB's are the exceptions to the rule. I'm willing to bet that in this years draft the best QB will not be drafted in round 1. Only time will tell....

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Randy Moss was had for a 4th round pick a year ago, so in my estimation, the Rams would be foolish to give the Eagles anything higher than that.

I've said this before, the only way the Rams draft a QB with the second pick is if they trade Marc Bulger for the 1st pick. And maybe not even then.

I certainly hope we don't draft an O-lineman with our first pick. DE is by a landslide our biggest need.

I never said you can't find talent in the later rounds, but you don't count on it. Holy crap, QB is the hardest position to evaluate, with the draft being a crapshoot anyway you never know what you're going to get.

You're telling me you want the future of the franchise riding on a 5th round pick, that hasn't proven a thing? Your funeral.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

is this serious

I never said you can't find talent in the later rounds, but you don't count on it. Holy crap, QB is the hardest position to evaluate, with the draft being a crapshoot anyway you never know what you're going to get.

You're telling me you want the future of the franchise riding on a 5th round pick, that hasn't proven a thing? Your funeral.
    Actually I do want the next K. Warner...... Better than drafting Ryan Leaf IMHO.....

Give me the Warner, Brady, Montana, Bulger, Ferragamo, Romo, Anderson, and Garrard.

I will take those guys over Campbell, Leftwich, Rivers, Mannings, Culpepper, Young, Ellway, Big Ben, and Ryan Leaf.....

Just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -04-05-2008, 10:33 PM