Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Film Review: Sam Bradford

After throwing my back out this weekend, I've had a lot of time to review film of Sam Bradford on YouTube. Here's what I observed:

Delivery/Release
    Bradford has a very quick delivery. He does not have a pure, over-the-top throwing motion and, at times, drops to a 3/4 release point. However, his motion is very compact, and he has no "tell" (i.e. long wind-up, telegraphing direction of throws).

Accuracy
    Definitely his strong suit. He shows the ability to hit receivers in stride, allowing for a lot of YAC. He also shows great touch on fade patterns, and throws to the back of the end zone.

Deep Ball
    I was struck by how few deep throws are represented in Bradford's highlight films. Perhaps this is due, in part, to the style of offense he played in. On the few deep balls I observed, Bradford's spiral was less than perfect, but his accuracy was still very good.

Arm Strength
    As stated, not a lot of strong deep ball evidence to call Bradford a "strong armed" QB. That said, his mid-range (15-25 yard) throws were typically thrown on a rope, even when thrown to the sideline. I'd say he has better arm strenth than, say, Chad Pennington, but he's not going to beat Jay Cutler in a distance contest.

Footwork
    Another strong point. Bradford slides in the pocket very well without getting happy feet. He is also exceptional at squaring his body quickly to avoid throws off the back foot, even when rolling out. He's not fast, and isn't a guy looking to run the ball, but he is a guy who can pick up yards when the pocket breaks down.

In sum, I like what I saw. Granted, I was watching highlight films, not game films, but there is no shortage of evidence of strong skills. In terms of overall style and ability, I still look at Bradford as being comparable to Kurt Warner. He has many of the same skills, as well as limitations. Whether he has that extra "it" factor that Kurt had... that I can't tell you from watching highlight films.

However, I can conclusively state that he is considerably more impressive than Jimmy Clausen and Tony Pike (both of whom I say play several times this year), and clearly has better overall tools than Dan LeFevour and Colt McCoy (who I also saw quite a bit of last year).

In case you are wondering, Suh is still at the top of my draft board. But its closer than ever now.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Film Review: Sam Bradford

Excellent review. Your analysis seems to fit with what I've been hearing from other sources.

Well from most until recently when Scott Wright has come out and said that the Rams should absolutely NOT pick Bradford. He even compared him to a potential Tim Couch.

I like most of what Wright says but maybe he is being overly cautious here.

BTW how is your back feeling?

WHAT SAY YE?

richtree is offline Registered User

Also, if you watch his highlight reel the majority of all his big plays come from the shotgun with lots of YAC yards by his athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    BTW how is your back feeling?
    Still not 100%, but on the mend. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree
    Also, if you watch his highlight reel the majority of all his big plays come from the shotgun with lots of YAC yards by his athletes.
    That is definitely true, but you can't discount the value of hitting players in stride. I think this is one of the areas in which Marc Bulger has really declined. During his better years (2002-2006) he did a good job of delivering the ball in a place that allowed for YAC. In recent years (2007-2009) his throws, though catchable, have often forced receivers to break stride. The result is a much lower yards/attempt average.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Yesterday on NFL Network Mike Mayock in a discussion of top tier QB's mentioned that Sam has played under center more than many football draft analysts are willing to admit.

That is a very reassuring thought as the biggest transition a spread QB in college makes to the NFL is that foot motion (drop), eyes (downfield vision) and playfakes (handing-off/not to a RB).

AV, I still agree Suh is atop my board, but Sam Bradford is starting to make a lot of sense with our #1 pick. My biggest concern is how we mentor and tutor him once he arrives. Who will coach him? Glad to hear your back is feeling better.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    AV, I still agree Suh is atop my board, but Sam Bradford is starting to make a lot of sense with our #1 pick. My biggest concern is how we mentor and tutor him once he arrives.
    That's a tough call. In recent years, QBs taken early (Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Sanchez) have started as rookies. While I would hope that Bradford would get some PT as a rookie, I'm not sure I'd want him open the year under center. At least wait until the O line gels a bit.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I heard a stat that in his Freshman season Bradford lined up under center more than 50% of the time when passing (more when they ran the ball). In his Soph season it was almost 50%. The idea that he lines up almost exclusively in the shotgun is very wrong.

I think Av hit the point. His accuracy is premier - comparable to Peyton Manning. His arm strength is considered average. That's a better combo than the reverse which is what Stafford is at. In the NFL premier QBs hit their receivers in stride and on the correct shoulder.

I also agree that this is where Bulger has failed recently. When he was in his prime, Marc was probably the best QB in the league at hitting WRs on out routes. That has degraded to where they now no longer run the route with much success.

Suh is great but so is Bradford. I'm personally sick of drafting DTs in the first round.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Docs still need to clear his shoulder though. I mean he didnt throw at the draft, than canceled pro day and now he says he'll workout privately for teams. Its all fine with me cause you should not rush shoulder injury but at some point before the draft he needs to show that his arm is 100% and he can make all the throws that coaches ans scouts ask him to.

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    canceled pro day and now he says he'll workout privately for teams.
    That's not accurate.

Bradford advised teams well in advance of Oklahoma's Pro Day that he would not throw until his private workout on March 25. He didn't "cancel" anything.

He definitely needs to show that his arm has recovered, but there is nothing to read into the fact that he has not done so yet.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

All he had was a sprain. If he had lost cartilage or tore some tendons, I'd be worried. He's been throwing for 2 months already in private workouts. He commented at the combine that he was at 85% strength and didn't have any swelling or discomfort. That's when the talking all changed. If true, I can't imagine the Rams passing on him. Imagine if they draft him and then hold him out of that first mini-camp.

Bernie said that Devaney told him the Rams would have James Andrews, the Rams joint surgeon and an independent surgeon all do an evaluation of his shoulder.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I'd still like to see some film of whole games. Any QB on a team of that caliber will have a good highlight reel. It's how he responded to a blown play,INT or near INT or sack or blitz that interests me as well as getting a feel for how he handles himself through the flow of a game. Not to mention seeing how he has progressed since he was recruited.

Everything else about the guy seems Hollywood-perfect; good student, respected leader,etc.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Bernie said that Devaney told him the Rams would have James Andrews, the Rams joint surgeon and an independent surgeon all do an evaluation of his shoulder.
    Hopefully that's a different James Andrews than the one who actually did Bradford's surgery. Otherwise, not that independent.

Anyways, I agree that there is a lot to like about what Bradford brings to the table as a passer. He's incredibly accurate, he has a strong enough arm, I'm not particularly worried about his transition from Oklahoma's offense to a West Coast system, I think he's probably more mobile than most would give him credit for, and he seems like an intelligent team player who makes good decisions. There's certainly no denying that he has a significant amount of skill.

My biggest hang-up is the durability. Not being able to finish a college season without some kind of injury is a concern when trying to project how he'll hold up at the next level. Sadly, as good as the YouTube video of him may be, it isn't going to eliminate that concern.

I'd still prefer Suh, and I'm not sure I see that changing before the draft. But if Bradford is the pick, I will certainly understand. I will buy the jersey and cheer my heart out that he proves my concerns wrong. I really hope that if the Rams draft him, he goes on to have a Favre-like streak of consecutive starts, and helps lead this team into a new period of success.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ludairv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hopefully that's a different James Andrews than the one who actually did Bradford's surgery. Otherwise, not that independent.

Anyways, I agree that there is a lot to like about what Bradford brings to the table as a passer. He's incredibly accurate, he has a strong enough arm, I'm not particularly worried about his transition from Oklahoma's offense to a West Coast system, I think he's probably more mobile than most would give him credit for, and he seems like an intelligent team player who makes good decisions. There's certainly no denying that he has a significant amount of skill.

My biggest hang-up is the durability. Not being able to finish a college season without some kind of injury is a concern when trying to project how he'll hold up at the next level. Sadly, as good as the YouTube video of him may be, it isn't going to eliminate that concern.

I'd still prefer Suh, and I'm not sure I see that changing before the draft. But if Bradford is the pick, I will certainly understand. I will buy the jersey and cheer my heart out that he proves my concerns wrong. I really hope that if the Rams draft him, he goes on to have a Favre-like streak of consecutive starts, and helps lead this team into a new period of success.
    amen....

this team needs to climb out of the basement and get back ontop of the NFC west !!!! over the seahawks and whiners!!!! (screw the cards theyve blown up) GOO RAMSSS
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-12-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: swearing, even masked, is not allowed.

ludairv is offline Registered User

---duplicate post---
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-12-2010 at 11:05 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hopefully that's a different James Andrews than the one who actually did Bradford's surgery
    Nope. That'd be the one and the same.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast