Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Film Review: Sam Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Nope. That'd be the one and the same.
    Aahhhh, I misread the sentence. He was referring to three different people (James Andrews, the Rams joint surgeon, AND an independent surgeon). When I read it, I thought he was describing James Andrews, who was the Rams joint surgeon and an independent surgeon. That makes more sense now.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Aahhhh, I misread the sentence. He was referring to three different people (James Andrews, the Rams joint surgeon, AND an independent surgeon). When I read it, I thought he was describing James Andrews, who was the Rams joint surgeon and an independent surgeon. That makes more sense now.
    Although that would rock IF James Andrews were the Rams team orthopedic! That would be the equivalent of hiring Richard Petty to be your chauffeur.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Although that would rock IF James Andrews were the Rams team orthopedic! That would be the equivalent of hiring Richard Petty to be your chauffeur.
    Um... wouldn't that only be a good thing if you were being driven somewhere that required left turns only?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Um... wouldn't that only be a good thing if you were being driven somewhere that required left turns only?
    Okay......San Francisco it is!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

My biggest hang-up is the durability. Not being able to finish a college season without some kind of injury is a concern
    Which other seasons did he fail to finish?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Which other seasons did he fail to finish?
    The phrase was, "Not being able to finish a college season without some kind of injury..."

In 2007, he left a game and did not return with a concussion of unknown severity. In 2008, he torn ligaments in his non-throwing hand which required surgery. In 2009, he had his AC joint injury in the first game of the season, which he reinjured later in the year before eventually shutting it down.

Three seasons, three injuries. Thus, as I said, he was unable to finish a season without some kind of injury. All while behind a relatively good offensive line where he was only sacked 25 times during his entire career. That's a concern, especially since he'll only be hit harder and more often at the next level.

All while behind a relatively good offensive line where he was only sacked 25 times during his entire career.
    5 NFL caliber offensive linemen at that (Loadholt, Robinson, Cooper, Walker, Williams).

The phrase was, "Not being able to finish a college season without some kind of injury..."

In 2007, he left a game and did not return with a concussion of unknown severity. In 2008, he torn ligaments in his non-throwing hand which required surgery. In 2009, he had his AC joint injury in the first game of the season, which he reinjured later in the year before eventually shutting it down.

Three seasons, three injuries. Thus, as I said, he was unable to finish a season without some kind of injury. All while behind a relatively good offensive line where he was only sacked 25 times during his entire career. That's a concern, especially since he'll only be hit harder and more often at the next level.
    How many people being drafted do you think never had some sort of injury during each season they played?

Suh had multliple knee surgeries. Does that mean he's an extra injury threat? Seems some injuries are a major concern. Some aren't important.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Here's a quick heads up for everyone because I really didn't want to start a new thread unless it's official. But according to Devaney, (who just mentioned this on a 101 ESPN) the second Oklahoma pro day where Bradford will throw is on the 29th, not the 25th. Devaney said that there are official league and team meetings that week and to ensure every team is there to see him throw and check him out, Sam wanted to have it moved it up to the 29th.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Here's a quick heads up for everyone because I really didn't want to start a new thread unless it's official. But according to Devaney, (who just mentioned this on a 101 ESPN) the second Oklahoma pro day where Bradford will throw is on the 29th, not the 25th. Devaney said that there are official league and team meetings that week and to ensure every team is there to see him throw and check him out, Sam wanted to have it moved it up to the 29th.
    ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*scratches monday off his calendar and puts Friday...*

If he reschedules again I'M gonna mess up his shoulder...

How many people being drafted do you think never had some sort of injury during each season they played?
    I don't remember saying a guy had to be injury-free. Rather, the point is having those three injuries - which aren't exactly normal wear-and-tear bumps and bruises from football - in a little over two seasons behind a pretty good offensive line is a concern. I'm far from the only one saying it.

Suh had multliple knee surgeries. Does that mean he's an extra injury threat? Seems some injuries are a major concern. Some aren't important.
    Suh redshirted as a true freshman in order to have surgery to fix a lingering knee issue from high school. He played in all 14 games the following year. In the spring of 2007, he had knee surgery in early March but returned for the season, playing in all 12 games. He then dominated in 2008 and 2009, showing no ill effects of previous injuries.

So no, he's not an "extra injury threat" to the extent that Bradford is.

In Suh's case, we're talking about a lineman who played in 55 games by my count (four full seasons plus two games as a true fresh) and had two notable surgeries during that span (one to fix an issue from high school), both of which were early in his career (true freshman and before his redshirt sophomore season).

In Bradford's case, we're talking about a quarterback who played in 31 games by my count (two full seasons plus three games of his redshirt junior year) and sustained three notable injuries, two of which required surgery, one of which he was still recovering from as of earlier this month.

Suh's injury history is rather minor since he's shown the ability to come back and play without additional issues. Bradford has yet to do that, as he was injured in every season he played, the worst of which just this last season, despite playing in a spread system behind a relatively good offensive line over the course of his college career. Simply put, there's really no comparison between the two situations.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-12-2010 at 03:57 PM.

Nick, me and you tend to agree but i have to comment on the Bradford injury thing.

First off the hand injury is relatively freak don't ya think? That could have been caused by any thing from a stiff arm to landing on it while falling. Guys typically don't have hands of steel and I wouldn't compare that type of injury to that of an ankle, knee, leg, arm, or shoulder.

Concussions are everywhere and MANY people are getting them and the fact that he had one concussion and missed one game (I'm guessing he only missed a game), says to me nothing, except he got unlucky.

The shoulder injury is a case of landing awkwardly and popping it out, and the fact that he didn't damage the rotator cuff and is healing just fine says to me that he shouldn't have any lingering effects from the shoulder if the operation was clean.

What I'm getting at is all of those injuries were unrelated and that in itself is significant because it shows that he isn't suffering from anything chronic or that there is repeated damage (shoulder injury that he came back from too early notwithstanding). A concussion is as common as an arm bruise in football and this happened 3 years ago with no lasting effects as far as we know. The hand injury is the type that wasn't really significant and isn't something you can really prevent in the forms of training or what have you, more like you hope it doesn't happen to you.

The shoulder looked to be the result of landing wrong and not having enough meat to protect it.

I don't think this guy is any more injury prone then most other guys and noone would have said anything about those other injures if it didn't fit nicely with the shoulder injury to help someone's case that Bradford is injury prone.

With the added bulk, I think Bradford will be fine and our offensive line should only improve from last year. When healthy we weren't that bad.

Even Brett Favre had to take pain killers to stay on the field and Peyton Manning never takes a repeated pounding due to a superior line and quick release.

Honestly, I'd be mroe concerned with a Suh type injury (though im not) because if its the same knee then it is or was. a chronic injury and ankles and knees are in a lot of stress and danger playing in the trenches and especially as a Defensive Lineman due to bodies flopping down around you and cut blocks (i played o-line and d-line in highschool).
    Last edited by Bralidore(RAMMODE); -03-12-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    What I'm getting at is all of those injuries were unrelated and that in itself is significant because it shows that he isn't suffering from anything chronic or that there is repeated damage (shoulder injury that he came back from too early notwithstanding).
    You're right in that the injuries aren't chronic, but that wasn't really the focal point of my concern. Chronic or not, it doesn't change the fact that the guy got injured every year he played for the Sooners, and more significantly than your typical wear-and-tear.

The fact that we're not talking about a chronic injury is great, but that doesn't nullify concern over the injuries he has sustained. Related or not, they've happened, and they happened every season he's taken the field for Oklahoma, with growing severity from season to season.

And again, this was in a spread offense behind good protection. In 31 games, he was sacked 25 total times. And sustained three injuries during that span, two of which required surgery.

It'd be one thing if, after the '07 concussion and '08 hand issue, he had been able to play through the whole 2009 season without injury, but he didn't. I just don't see how that isn't a big concern when you're talking about $80 million or so over the next six years and $40+ million guaranteed. He's going to get hit more often and harder in the NFL than he did in college. If he can't hold up to the punishment at the college level, you have to wonder how he's going to do at the pro level.

You're right in that the injuries aren't chronic, but that wasn't really the focal point of my concern. Chronic or not, it doesn't change the fact that the guy got injured every year he played for the Sooners, and more significantly than your typical wear-and-tear.

The fact that we're not talking about a chronic injury is great, but that doesn't nullify concern over the injuries he has sustained. Related or not, they've happened, and they happened every season he's taken the field for Oklahoma, with growing severity from season to season.

And again, this was in a spread offense behind good protection. In 31 games, he was sacked 25 total times. And sustained three injuries during that span, two of which required surgery.

It'd be one thing if, after the '07 concussion and '08 hand issue, he had been able to play through the whole 2009 season without injury, but he didn't. I just don't see how that isn't a big concern when you're talking about $80 million or so over the next six years and $40+ million guaranteed. He's going to get hit more often and harder in the NFL than he did in college. If he can't hold up to the punishment at the college level, you have to wonder how he's going to do at the pro level.
    That's my point, those injuries weren't really a result of being beaten up like bruises and torn muscles are, they were more the result of bad luck.

Bradford's concussion happened because h made an attempt at a tackle and"....hit his head back on the turf when he fell to the ground", any guy does that and its likely going to cause some form of mild concussion, has nothing to do with durability essentially in the fact that you can't get a stronger skull barring taking calcium pills i guess. Very Preventable, just walk off the field if the ball is picked next time. He also didn't miss a game because of this injury so I don't think its fair to all it significant.

The Bradford hand injury happened in the middle part of the game and he played through it regardless and finished with a 370 yard passing performance. Again, how do you prevent hand injuries? Hand Weights?

We all know about the shoulder.

These are all isolated incidents that are a trend but only because we place heavy emphasis on patterns and sometimes don't realize that patterns can form in anything and often aren't even related, as these injuries weren't.

My point is you can't really tie injuries together and call a guy injury prone if the injuries were so freak and hard to defend against and not even occuring in the same part of the body.

If you want to find a trend, you'll find one. Three injuries to three completely different parts of the body spread out over three years, under three completely different scenarios and the trend is obvious?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast