Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Fin fan here... who do you hope we take?

Quote Originally Posted by fortuniner
    However, I believe his ceiling is limited because of that coaching.
    And what part of Howie's coaching helped Chris to run an identical 10-split, one inch less broad jump and faster 3-cones and 20-shuttle than Gholston?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Gholston might be able to run and benchpress, but can he bull rush, spin, rip, club, headfake...anything other than "run the long way around the edge"? I'd argue that it's not a coincidence that he puts sacks up in bunches followed by several game droughts. Match him up against a guy who isn't athletic enough to keep pace and he'll put up 3 or 4 sacks. Match him up against an athletic pro left tackle, and maybe his performance will resemble the 6 out of 13 games he didn't record a sack in 2007 (the Michigan and Wisconsin games contributed half of his sack total for the season).
    Isn't that one of the negatives on C. Long? That big, strong, athletic OT's can neutralize him? It's Gholston who comes up big against the tougher competition. I can't help but feel that Gholston will have more success in the NFL, but that's just a gut feeling. Only time will tell.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Harry, read your post again and think. Does it make sense that Long would be the one who would be neutralized by large OT's when he's the bigger one of the two, the one who played INTO double teams in a 3-4 his junior and senior years, and yet had significantly more stops than Gholston who was specifically moved away from double teams and guys who could stop him? Does it make sense that the guy who knows proper techniques for getting the best leverage and shedding blocks would be the one to be stopped by NFL OT's?

Does it make sense that Chewbacca, an 8 foot tall Wookiee, would live on Endor with 3 foot tall Ewoks? No! It does not make sense! If it does not make sense, you must acquit!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Harry, read your post again and think. Does it make sense that Long would be the one who would be neutralized by large OT's when he's the bigger one of the two, the one who played INTO double teams in a 3-4 his junior and senior years, and yet had significantly more stops than Gholston who was specifically moved away from double teams and guys who could stop him? Does it make sense that the guy who knows proper techniques for getting the best leverage and shedding blocks would be the one to be stopped by NFL OT's?

Does it make sense that Chewbacca, an 8 foot tall Wookiee, would live on Endor with 3 foot tall Ewoks? No! It does not make sense! If it does not make sense, you must acquit!
    Well, I thought for sure that I'd read (more than once) that he was handled by the really good OT's that he faced.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123