AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

*FINAL* AR Rams Draft Board (with Commentary)

With the Pro Days pretty much complete, and the Rams seemingly done with significant pre-draft FA signings, I'm ready for my final pre-draft version of my draft board. Barring a surprise FA signing by the Rams that would impact the need rankings, this is how I rank the prospects.

Prospect Ranking
    5.0 – Blue Chip Prospect. Certain High First Rounder
    4.0 – Solid First Rounder, but could go late in first round.

3.0 – Marginal First Rounder, could last until second round.

2.0 – Day 1 Selection, but not a first rounder.
    1.0 – Mid-to late round selection.

Need Ranking
    5.0 – Immediate need. Expected to start as rookie.
    4.0 – Priority need. Expected to play/compete for starting spot as rookie.
    3.0 – Non-priority need. Could play/start, but not a high priority.
    2.0 – Depth selection. Solid starter already in place.
    1.0 – No basis to select. Waste of first round selection.

QB: 1.0
    RB: 1.5
    WR: 1.0
    TE: 3.0
    OT: 2.0
    OG: 3.5
    C: 3.5
    DE: 4.0
    DT: 4.0
    OLB: 5.0
    MLB: 3.0
    CB: 3.5
    S: 4.5

Dropoff Factor (How the overall quality of prospects at the position compares from the first to the second round)

+.50 - Big dropoff at position in Round 2
    Even - Moderate dropoff at position in Round 2
    -.50 - Minimal dropoff at position in Round 2

If two players have the same combined score, I rank them based upon my subjective preference.

Player: Total Score (Prospect Ranking/Need Ranking/Dropoff Factor)

1. A.J. Hawk, OLB, Ohio State: 10.0 (5.0/5.0/E)

Hawk is a clear Blue Chip prospect at one of the Rams' biggest need positions. If the Rams could trade up for him, he'd be an instant starter and an impact player. No way he falls to No. 11, though.

2. Mario Williams, DE, NC State: 9.5 (5.0/4.0/+.50)

"Super Mario" is a beast of a player and, along with Hawk, the only prospect worth trading up for. He'll be gone by the fifth pick, in all likelihood.

3. Michael Huff, S, Texas: 9.5 (5.0/4.5/E)
    There is at least a chance that Huff could fall to pick 11, though I suspect he will be taken before then. If he falls, he'd be a great addition to the Rams secondary, playing along side of Corey Chavous.

4. Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon: 8.5 (4.5/4.0/E)

The loss of Ryan Pickett, Grady Jackson's asking price, and the uncertainty of Jimmy Kennedy makes DT a higher priority than originally anticipated. Ngata could be there at 11 if the Bills pass on him, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that.

5. Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa: 8.5 (3.5/5.0/E)

Greenway has dropped in they eyes of many. I still think he's the kind of player who will outplay his measurables. If the Rams pass on him, though, he could drop to the end of the first round.

6. Brodrick Bunkley, DT, FSU: 8.0 (4.0/4.0/E)

His stock has risen with some very impressive workout numbers. Is more of a quick, pass rushing type of DT than a big run stopper. Still, he would fit nicely in the Rams' rotation.

7. Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State: 8.0 (3.5/4.5/E)

He is the biggest riser on my board. Known as a good tackler and a playmaker, he really caught my eye by running a 4.37 at his Pro Day. Reminds me of Troy Polamalu.

8. Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State: 8.0 (4.0/3.5/+.50)

This would be a selection that would result in a collective yawn from Ram fans, but Mangold will probably be a ten year starter for some team, with a few trips to Hawaii in February along the way.

9. Manny Lawson, OLB/DE 8.0 (3.5/4.5/E)

I'm a bit weary of Lawson, given his lack of a clear position (particularly in 4-3 sets), but his athleticism and playmaking abilities would be welcome on a defense that has had far to few big plays in recent years.

10. DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama 8.0 (3.0/5.0/E)

I'm not entirely convinced that he's an ideal strong side OLB, but he's the third best bet for that spot in this draft.

11. Vernon Davis, TE, Georgia 7.5 (5.0/3.0/-.50)

I still don't think TE is a first round priority, and there are many quality TEs that will be around in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but Davis could be a special player. Probably won't fall to 11, though.

12. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson 7.0 (4.0/3.5/-.50)

Hill has dropped, not because of my view of him as a prospect, but because I have downgraded CB as a need position somewhat. Also, the CB position is very deep in this draft.

New to list: Donte Whitner, Nick Mangold, Manny Lawson

Dropped from list: Antonio Cromartie, Jimmy Williams, Tamba Hali
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-14-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: *FINAL* AR Rams Draft Board (with Commentary)

Now Av, is Mangold really a better prospect than Greenway? I know he's the best at his position and all, but that's just a bit much for me. Maybe it's just me, but if our starting center had a pegleg, I still don't think I'd consider the need great enough to take him over Vernon Davis. I don't think the drop-off between elite centers and other prospects is ever going to be that huge; that's why they traditionally get picked in the lower rounds. To me it's substantial for the position but not so much when compared to other positions.

I wouldn't rate Whitner the same as Greenway and Lawson. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but Whitner and Mangold would probably be more like a 7.5 or 7 in my book. If it were my list, I'd also add .5 to the priority of TE seeing as how the guy we draft will almost surely be expected to compete for the starting position, even if it is not quite the same priority as DT.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Now Av, is Mangold really a better prospect than Greenway?
    I think so. If Greenway were rated solely as a weak side OLB, he'd probably be .5 higher, but since I'm rating him as an OLB in general (meaning he could be called upon to play either side), I think the rating is appopriate.

Mangold is consistently rated as a top prospect at center.

Maybe it's just me, but if our starting center had a pegleg, I still don't think I'd consider the need great enough to take him over Vernon Davis.
    That's where we differ. I think the importance of the center position is vastly underrated, while the importance of the TE position is vastly overrated.

I don't think the drop-off between elite centers and other prospects is ever going to be that huge; that's why they traditionally get picked in the lower rounds.
    Generally, I'd agree. But in this case, Mangold is head-and-shoulders above any other prospect at the position.

I wouldn't rate Whitner the same as Greenway and Lawson. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but Whitner and Mangold would probably be more like a 7.5 or 7 in my book.
    I know I'm in the minority with Whitner, but I see him as a player who could really impact this defense. Part of the appeal is that he is a true SS, which would mean Corey Chavous could slide to FS, where he can be more effective, in my opinion.

If it were my list, I'd also add .5 to the priority of TE seeing as how the guy we draft will almost surely be expected to compete for the starting position, even if it is not quite the same priority as DT.
    To me, TE is an offensive skill position, which is the Rams' strongest area. So, while I do think a rookie TE could easily start for the Rams, I don't see it as a real priority.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

What about Darnell Bing of USC?? No one ever talks about him. This kid has all the tools to be a complete stud in the NFL. He hits like a ton of bricks and is faster than most receivers. He should have stuck out his senior year and he might have been a top 10 pick next season. Maybe he will be around when we pick in the second...I doubt it, some other team has to have a bead on him and won't let him get out of the first.

Bing is a good prospect, but will drop a bit due to his 40 times (ran 4.53 and 4.63 at the USC Pro Day). If he were still there in Round 2, I'd consider him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith
    What about Darnell Bing of USC??
    Bing = Arch

poor in coverage, goes for KO instead of wrap-up, a slobberknocker when he connects, plays run support like a LB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Now Av, is Mangold really a better prospect than Greenway? I know he's the best at his position and all, but that's just a bit much for me. Maybe it's just me, but if our starting center had a pegleg, I still don't think I'd consider the need great enough to take him over Vernon Davis. I don't think the drop-off between elite centers and other prospects is ever going to be that huge; that's why they traditionally get picked in the lower rounds. To me it's substantial for the position but not so much when compared to other positions.

I wouldn't rate Whitner the same as Greenway and Lawson. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but Whitner and Mangold would probably be more like a 7.5 or 7 in my book. If it were my list, I'd also add .5 to the priority of TE seeing as how the guy we draft will almost surely be expected to compete for the starting position, even if it is not quite the same priority as DT.

What do you have against OSU?:tut

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Oh, I don't have anything against the Buckeyes. In fact, one of my cousins graduated from OSU just a couple years ago. I think both those players have a lot of potential for success in the NFL. I'd just have trouble justifying taking a center with our first pick with all our troubles on the defense, even if he looks stellar.

As for Whitner, I just haven't been convinced by him. But the more I think about it, the more I think that assessment is pretty on-target. Greenway has been falling, and Lawson runs the risk that used to turn everybody off from "tweeners" that he might be a size that prevents from being good at either (rather than enabling to do both), and I like what I've seen about Whitner. I still wouldn't take him over Vernon Davis, though.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-03-2006 at 06:40 PM.

We really need a sarcasm font

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd lower Ngata below Bunkley.
    RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I'd put Cromartie or J. Williams in there

How about Bobby Carpenter?

Cromartie, J.Williams and Bobby Carpenter would all be in my top 25, but not my top 12.