Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Finnegan's Contract Details MAke Bringing Him Back Unlikelier

As reported by Jim Thomas, and explained by H BAlzer on his morning show, a detail of Finnegans deal makes bringing him back atalower reate on a one year deal less palatable.

If Finnegan were to sign say a $2 million one year deal HERE, his cap number is $8 million, counting his dead money.

Because the Rams get MORE cap room, up to $3 million if Finnegan signs elsewhere, if Finnegan signed for the same number with another team, the Rams would ADD $2 million more cap space, lowering Finnegan's dead money hit to $4 million.

SO hopefully some team snaps up Finnegan soon, but even if he last till late, the Rams can use the extra money to sign draft picks, and can spend more before the draft.

Finnegan being gone for good makes signing a veteran starting CB, or drafting one in round one even, more likely.

It's a pretty sure bet the Rams will be looking to add a veteran safety and a veteran CB in FA. Maybe even a veteran WR to compete for a starting job.

Barry Waller

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Finnegan's Contract Details MAke Bringing Him Back Unlikelier

Barry,

Where do you think Finnegan might land? Patriots?

It's hard to say who might want to give him a chance becaus of his injury history and age.

Maybe Denver, Maybe NE, but they stand to be able to get good CB in this draft, which hurst Finnegan's value too. Some team may want his attitude, like Dallas, Detroit, Cincy or SD, who all need CB.

I bet Jim Harbauh likes his attitude also.

I don't see him signing till camp, maybe even after that.
    Barry Waller

But it just takes one team.

Jim Schwartz, the Titans DC when he was drafted is now in Buffalo, so maybe they might look at him.
    Now you have Champ Bailey out there if you want an older CB. I could see NE interested in him more than Finnegan
    Barry Waller

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    But it just takes one team.

Now you have Champ Bailey out there if you want an older CB. I could see NE interested in him more than Finnegan
    Bailey is more likely to switch to safety than get signed to play CB.

Go Rams!

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think he could possibly end up in SF.......His attitude alone would fit that team.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Since he has been playing for us, other then the early games two years ago, haven't been particularly wowed by him. I would not be heartbroken if he left. Nothing against the guy personally just talking strictly on the field.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Patriots and Niners make the most sense, maybe even the Hawks… teams love to get players cut from teams within the division

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Bailey is more likely to switch to safety than get signed to play CB.

Go Rams!

In a perfect world, I would love for the Rams to get him just so he could teach our young guys, but i'm sure that he would choose a perceived Superbowl contender over us at the moment.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I think if we can get our FA like Saffold back and have the money to choose between a quality depth guy that would be 4mill vs. the cap I would still take Finnegan for that extra 4 million in cap

We have young corners; Finnegan is the one of the most grittiest players I have ever seen and he is a positive impact in the locker

If there is a way (which I understand is unlikely) we need they guy back; I believe he is vital for the maturation of Trumaine and Jenkins (and maybe an early round rookie)

The guy is a mature leader on a young team

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I didn't like the signing when it happened, because the stats showed that he was a below average corner, and as it was stated above, save for those early games where I did eat some crow, he was generally, well, below average at best for the rest of his two years.

BW, can you actually say that last line with a straight face? The last thing I would say is that Finnegan is a mature leader. Leader, sure. Mature? I don't think that anyone who ever got ejected from a game because he got into a fist fight on the field could ever be called mature. Has he toned it down, somewhat, but he's not exactly the choir boy.

That said, he was certainly nice enough when I met him after the game and hope he lands on his feet.
    I believe!

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    BW, can you actually say that last line with a straight face? The last thing I would say is that Finnegan is a mature leader. Leader, sure. Mature? I don't think that anyone who ever got ejected from a game because he got into a fist fight on the field could ever be called mature. Has he toned it down, somewhat, but he's not exactly the choir boy.

That said, he was certainly nice enough when I met him after the game and hope he lands on his feet.
    You make a good argument about Finn's maturity TR, i.e., based on his being so feisty. But at this point in his 8 year career, I do think that Finnegan has learned from his on-the-field mistakes and has, indeed, matured into a leader.

I'd think it's probably one of the current traits a HC like our own J. Fisher likes in him. Now if Finn could only improve his stats...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I didn't like the signing when it happened, because the stats showed that he was a below average corner, and as it was stated above, save for those early games where I did eat some crow, he was generally, well, below average at best for the rest of his two years.

I have seen these comments a lot about Finnegan. He got punched multiple times by Andre Johnson, never threw a punch, and yet got ejected. Finnegan didn't do anything wrong. I think the only thing he may have done the whole time was rip Johnson's helmet off because Johnson had done the same to him.

And yet through the whole of this, after all these years, it's always been the "fiesty" Finnegan that has been blamed, not the guy that lost his temper and threw the punches.

Finnegan is in no way immature. And he isn't dirty either. He is a piller of the community and a great person. It's just a shame his play fell off last season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    If Finnegan were to sign say a $2 million one year deal HERE, his cap number is $8 million, counting his dead money.
    The potential to gain more cap room with Finnegan signing elsewhere certainly helps the case that he won't be brought back, but I think this detail is the bigger reason he won't be back.

If the Rams are going to have to count his dead money against the cap already, even if it's slightly less in the long run due to another team eventually signing him, then they'd better be sure they don't want to bring him back and add to that total.

If there's a chance they'll want to bring him back later, then to me, it would seem wiser to explore a restructure rather than cutting him, absorbing the dead money, and then adding to it by bringing him back later.

I just find it hard to believe a team would cut a guy, accepting $6 million in dead money that they'll still have to count even with him gone, and then be open to bringing him back and adding back to that cap cost. If they cut him for the cap savings, it's unlikely they erode that savings by bringing him back IMO.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The potential to gain more cap room with Finnegan signing elsewhere certainly helps the case that he won't be brought back, but I think this detail is the bigger reason he won't be back.

If the Rams are going to have to count his dead money against the cap already, even if it's slightly less in the long run due to another team eventually signing him, then they'd better be sure they don't want to bring him back and add to that total.

If there's a chance they'll want to bring him back later, then to me, it would seem wiser to explore a restructure rather than cutting him, absorbing the dead money, and then adding to it by bringing him back later.

I just find it hard to believe a team would cut a guy, accepting $6 million in dead money that they'll still have to count even with him gone, and then be open to bringing him back and adding back to that cap cost. If they cut him for the cap savings, it's unlikely they erode that savings by bringing him back IMO.
    I agree and the Rams did want him to take a pay cut be he said no. That left the Rams with only one option at that point. I don't see him coming back to the Rams. Lets hope he gets a couple million to play somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast