View Poll Results: Who do you want the Rams to get in Round 1?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Long, DE, Virginia

56 65.12%
  • James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

3 3.49%
  • Jake Long, OT, Michigan

9 10.47%
  • Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

7 8.14%
  • Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

3 3.49%
  • Calais Campbell, DE, Miami

0 0%
  • Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

3 3.49%
  • Other (list below)

5 5.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: First 2008 Draft Poll!

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    No love for Jake Long, anyone?
    I think Jake Long would be a solid pick, just not a great value there and likely not the best player on the board. I'll be interested to see how he does in workouts and the Senior Bowl if he goes. Let's not forget that Linehan may be coaching in the Senior Bowl, and coaches tend to fall in love with guys they coach at the Senior Bowl (ala Gruden and Caddy a few years ago).

shower beers is offline Registered User

We COULD use a good 5th or 6th string TE. Why don't we draft two of them?

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think Jake Long would be a solid pick, just not a great value there and likely not the best player on the board. I'll be interested to see how he does in workouts and the Senior Bowl if he goes. Let's not forget that Linehan may be coaching in the Senior Bowl, and coaches tend to fall in love with guys they coach at the Senior Bowl (ala Gruden and Caddy a few years ago).
    Considering that this draft's primary talent might be coming from the underclassmen ranks, I think Linehan coaching in the Senior Bowl may not be a good thing for the Rams.

I'd certainly hate for him to pass on Gholston because he fell in love with or made promises to one of the Longs.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

"We COULD use a good 5th or 6th string TE. Why don't we draft two of them?"

Hysterical!!!!

My vote is for Chris Long.

Go Rams!

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe is offline Registered User

I had to vote for Kenny Phillips, but that comes with a caveat: must trade down to 6 or lower. Nothing like adding a game-breaker to the secondary to work with OJ. Get a situational pass-rushing DE in the 2nd or 3rd to rotate w/Victor and take over for LL when he retires... honestly, we can find a Little clone (insert Austin Powers joke here) later day 1 who is fast, smallish for DL, and who can pin his ears back and lay waste to the QB.

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

I don't get why Chris Long is the hot pick. We've all watched the season and seen what happened when the offensive line starts crumpling -- the whole offense dies with it. That's why I am all for Jake Long. I know spending a high pick on a o-lineman is boring, but like at what happened with Joe Thomas in Cleveland. He was a huge part of the turn around in their o-line.

They can get a DL down the line and we have Carriker who can play both tackle and end. But as we learned this year, our o-line is thin and it has to be a priority.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJRamsGuy View Post
    I don't get why Chris Long is the hot pick. We've all watched the season and seen what happened when the offensive line starts crumpling -- the whole offense dies with it. That's why I am all for Jake Long. I know spending a high pick on a o-lineman is boring, but like at what happened with Joe Thomas in Cleveland. He was a huge part of the turn around in their o-line.

They can get a DL down the line and we have Carriker who can play both tackle and end. But as we learned this year, our o-line is thin and it has to be a priority.
    Welcome to the Clan.

I'd say the reason Chris is the 'hot pick' as you say is that our needs along our DL are proven. Yes, we fell with the crumpling OL, but ask yourself this; did the OL crumple because of injuries, or sheer poor play?

I think we both know the answer, and this explains why Chris Long is the hot pick. The OL starters are returning; the DL has been a recurring problem. Sure, some of those guys along the OL are unproven as it is, but the franchise had enough confidence to go with them as starters before this season even began. I'd much prefer to be paying millions of dollars to a player who is guaranteed to play from the word 'go' in 2008 than to one who may sit one or two full seasons out before coming in and having his real rookie year.

I'm all for securing depth at guard via free agency, and I think that Linehan can insure Orlando Pace by drafting an OL in round 2. There's such depth to this class that finding a great OL prospect at 34 shouldn't be a problem. Plus, at pick thirty-four, you don't have to pay anywhere near the salary that you do at number 2, and thus, you aren't overpaying for what could only turn out to be two years worth of security in presence, rather than in practise. You're buying exactly the same peace of mind at a much lower cost.

And really, that's all we're searching for along the OL. The knowledge, the peace of mind that if we lose a starter or two (or four :x) we have a guy who is capable of coming in and contributing. And that's what we've had at the Center position with McCollum and Romberg, and it's what we've had with Steussie, wherever he was needed. We have at least found some quality depth in Milford Brown, (we hope) and by securing one or two linemen (a good guard in FA to compete with Setterstom, and an OT in roound 2 to secure depth with a quality level of play) we won't have another Brandon Gorin debacle.

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

Is our O-line really that good? Alex Barron played most of the year and he wasn't that good. And yes, he was out of position this year, but Mr False Start wasn't good in years past either. So say Pace actually does stay healthy for a year (which he probably won't since he played 9 games in the last 2 years), then spell Barron. Pace may not get knocked out for the season yet again, but we can be assure he won't be able to play every down. There's no harm in taking the left tackle of the future (who would definitely play some now) with the #2 pick.

I understand Chris Long is awesome. He killed my Maryland Terrapins. But that can be dealt with with the next pick. We need to protect the QB at all costs now -- this year killed Marc Bulger is many ways. Let's just hope that Leonard Little will get close to what he was 2 years ago (or they can trade him -- I'd be OK with that too) -- and if he is, we Long isn't as important. Carriker can always slide out to end -- his more natural position.

The Rams have more than one problem they need to fill and unfortunately only one #2 pick. I understand the want for Chris Long, but Jake is the man in my opinion. At least we're not talking about McFadden.

Drew is offline Registered User

If i was sure that Jake Long is the same player as Joe Thomas then id pick him,but im not so i go Chris...plus more depth in the draft class at OT than DE!

Joe Thomas is better than Jake Long. Cleveland also had far more need than the Rams do for OT.

Now, if Joe Thomas was available at #2, I'd pick him.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I would be happy with who ever we pick, not because i like the player, bnut it will probably be a player invited to new york, and he will probably come out holding the rams jersey and the hat.. ahhhh i can see it now... Oh a like jake long in the first, and jacob hester in the 3rd.

Thumbs up What?

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    I would be happy with who ever we pick, not because i like the player, bnut it will probably be a player invited to new york, and he will probably come out holding the rams jersey and the hat.. ahhhh i can see it now... Oh a like jake long in the first, and jacob hester in the 3rd.
    Jacob Hester in the 3rd? You've got to be kidding.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Is our O-line really that good?
    You've effectively made my point in one sentence. All of that is undetermined. All we can assume is that Pace and his fat salary will come back, and Barron wil continue to play on the right side. We can't predict injuries, and I agree, security along the OL is very important, but we can really only make a good selection based on what we know. What we know about the OL right now is that we know virtually nothing. There are a whole lot of question marks, and the best way, IMO, to ensure that we're covered if the line we have now so happens to fall apart- due to injuries, due to age, due to poor play, whatever, is to do so without breaking the bank on a player who may not see action.

You place yourself in cap hell with players on massive salaries that don't play.

What we know about the DL right now is that there is no pass rush, and that killed us this year. We had to move Will Witherspoon to rush end on passign downs.

Carriker can always slide out to end -- his more natural position.
    At 310 lbs? I wouldn't want to risk offsetting the progress he's made as a tackle this season by moving him to a position he hasn't played in the pros.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Another reason why its better to go o-line in the second is you can justify the 33 pick moving to guard for now, but the number 2 pick in Jake Long at guard just doesn't make sense

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Another reason why its better to go o-line in the second is you can justify the 33 pick moving to guard for now, but the number 2 pick in Jake Long at guard just doesn't make sense
    exactly. there is alot of people saying pick jake long. it isnt a good idea. dont get me wrong, hes a great player...but, if we do get Jake Long, he may be benched for a few years (thats if our offensive line stays healthy). the reason why our offensive line did poor this year was injury. we just gotta hope that our offensive line stays healthy.

on the defensive side of the ball, or defensive line...just sucks. we need talent there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)