View Poll Results: Who do you want the Rams to get in Round 1?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Long, DE, Virginia

56 65.12%
  • James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

3 3.49%
  • Jake Long, OT, Michigan

9 10.47%
  • Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

7 8.14%
  • Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

3 3.49%
  • Calais Campbell, DE, Miami

0 0%
  • Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

3 3.49%
  • Other (list below)

5 5.81%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NJRamsGuy Guest

Re: First 2008 Draft Poll!

I understand the appeal of Chris Long and I wouldn't go nuts if he is drafted at #2.

But it's been proven our offensive line just cannot stay healthy. 2 years in a row Pace missed the majority of the season and we started playing musical chairs. Why is he all of a sudden going to be completely healthy next year? It's not like he's younger. And when our O-line has been healthy, Alex Barron has not lived up to the hype. Is the health risk really worth it? Yes, the Rams need a pass rush, but what's gonna happen if Pace gets hurt again next year? We going to deal with the same thing we did this year -- with our franchise QB with the fat new contract getting so pounded he's admitted he's changed his form (a form that works for him) because he has to save himself? Or even worse, him getting knocked out and more Gus?

This team is an offensive team first. Now, I'm not saying we should not improve our defense just because we're primarily offensive. But I honestly think that Chris Long isn't all the our defense would need. (Getting a good MLB and shifting Will back to his original position I think woudl be a good start, but that's a conversation for another day/another thread.) If the Rams are going to be offensive, they have to plan it. Yes, Jake Long is not as good as Joe Thomas is, but he's not very far behind either.

The Rams need to ensure they have a strong and deep o-line or I'm just afraid we're going to have constant repeats of this year.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJRamsGuy View Post
    But it's been proven our offensive line just cannot stay healthy. 2 years in a row Pace missed the majority of the season and we started playing musical chairs. Why is he all of a sudden going to be completely healthy next year? It's not like he's younger. And when our O-line has been healthy, Alex Barron has not lived up to the hype. Is the health risk really worth it? Yes, the Rams need a pass rush, but what's gonna happen if Pace gets hurt again next year?
    Why can't the hole be filled in round two? What's to stop a lineman the caliber of Chris Williams stepping in and being competent as a starter? I can't see a huge gap in talent there. Long is undoubtedly the best OT, but there is just such good depth in this class that you could find a future starter in round 2, at a fraction of the cost.

Because what's important here is to look at both sides of the coin. What if Pace isn't hurt? You've drafted another 50 million man to sit on the bench, and the pass rush continues to stink it up; and therefore so does the entire defense.

All I'm saying is, that fiscally speaking, it would be a lot smarter to fill this hole in round two, taking into account both injury eventualities. If Pace stays healthy, you've got a competent replacement to groom for when he retires/gets hurt again. If he's injured, not only do you have a player to step in and play well, but you also haven't sold your pass rush short.

If the Rams are going to be offensive, they have to plan it. .
    I think we did a pretty good job of being offensive this year (cue Letterman "punchline" drum beat)

rammiser is offline Registered User

If we dont trade down If Dorsey is there I take Dorsey and if Chris Long is there I take him if Dorsey is gone. If we trade down I've said it before I'd love to see us get Phillips to go along side with Atogwe.
    Just Fix It

fleet69 Guest

Chris Long for sure. Our D-Line can't get any pressure by themselves. Adding an edge rusher will open things up for Carriker as well inside. It all starts upfront on both sides of the ball. Yes, our O-Line was in shambles, but that's mostly due to injuries. Unless they plan on cutting, moving, etc Pace or Barron, then Jake Long makes zero sense

Mooselini Guest

I also see a few fans on these boards saying that if the Oline doesnt stay healthy, we could have a stud like Jake Long.

If almost our whole entire offensive line is getting hurt, maybe its something within the training during the offseason. Our players probably couldnt play a whole game because of preseason training. Why get a player like Jake Long who might just be thrown on the list of injured offensive line players.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

Shift Carriker over to DE where he played in college, and voila the Rams have a nice line that could be good for a long time.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -01-16-2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: reason why

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Chris (Howie's son) Long.....Has to be

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Other AKA Glenn "I eat humans" Dorsey.

max
    max is offline Registered User

I voted other.

Who I want them to take is Matt Ryan. I've watched him play a lot this year. I believe he will be a franchise QB. I also think Parcells may take him before we can.

I know, I know, we can't take a QB, we got too much tied up in Bulger. Sure. But the question is "who do I want them to take". That would be Ryan. And in 3 years you all will know why.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    I voted other.

Who I want them to take is Matt Ryan. I've watched him play a lot this year. I believe he will be a franchise QB. I also think Parcells may take him before we can.

I know, I know, we can't take a QB, we got too much tied up in Bulger. Sure. But the question is "who do I want them to take". That would be Ryan. And in 3 years you all will know why.
    I don't see Parcells taking Ryan with the first pick; especially now that Mr. Ryan has declined to play in the Senior Bowl, ostensibly on advice from his agent. This is similar to what Brodie Quinn did last year and we all know what happened to his draft stock, don't we? I just can't believe that the Tuna would consider a guy that blows off the Senior Bowl as the #1 pick in the draft.

WHAT SAY YE?

max
    max is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I don't see Parcells taking Ryan with the first pick; especially now that Mr. Ryan has declined to play in the Senior Bowl, ostensibly on advice from his agent. This is similar to what Brodie Quinn did last year and we all know what happened to his draft stock, don't we? I just can't believe that the Tuna would consider a guy that blows off the Senior Bowl as the #1 pick in the draft.

WHAT SAY YE?

Parcells has a history of drafting QB in the 1st round (Bledsoe, Pennington). If he decides that Beck isn't the guy, then he will be looking for a QB and the 1st round is where Ryan is going. Ryan has showed a lot this year; he won a lot of games with a very poor supporting cast. Not quite the same thing for Quinn. Lets see where we are after the Combine and the workouts at BC. There is still a ways to go before the end of April.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)