Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: First Day Post Mortem

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

First Day Post Mortem

First off, those who REALLY did their homework on this draft can't help but be glad that "Trader Les" stayed put where he did, though more casual fans, the negativists, will look at the two picks and see "another Jason Smith" and a too small DT.

First of all, in Dallas and Chicago, there was a very loud moan when the Rams took the guy either would have jumped on, perhaps the very last of the top rier players, and surely the best player on the Rams board, a guy most thought could go between 7th and 9th.

Gregg Williams probably was doing cartwheels in the War Room when Donald fell. His lack of height has allowed him to hone his hand skills and leverage skills to a pro level already. This one is no "project." Oh, and the Rams now have the best D-line unit in all of football, and winning teams need to be at the very top of the NFL in some area.

"Feed the Beast" is how Jeff Fisher described it, and it's an age old GM strategy in every sport.

Some may say the Rams could have taken the Buffalo deal and added a 2015 #1, but Fisher is in it to win this year and next, not two or three years down the road, and some may whine that they would have had Taylor Lewan at 9, or Zach Martin at 13 after a Sammie Watkins pick at 2 .

Those folks should just wait, because the Rams could still go WR in round two, though I think they feel set at the position, with Cook as their big slot or outside guy.

Mainly those people should realize that all the picks after 2 play out differently because of the Cleveland deal and because of the Bortles pick no one saw coming. Cleveland taking Gilbert changed a bunch at #13.

Also, Though Lewan is a good prospect, he is really only a left tackle as a projection, where Robinson is the only one of the top tackles who can really pancake NFL players in the running game.

If he starts at LG, he and Long, named the top run blocking LTin the NFL again after last year, will be a WALL that can devastate a small, fast, bunch of D-linemen like t hey have in SF and Seattle, and even a bigger bunch like the Cardinals have.

Robinson is an absolute freak, and while his college career was short, he played O-line all t he way back to H.S. Jason Smith was a guy who was a tight end his first year in college.

That transition worked for Kyle Turley and other NFL OT, but in the case of Smith, the punishment of the trenches was too much for him, especially the concussions.

Robinson is a totally different beast, a guy who likes the trench warfare, which could make him a Pro Bowl GUARD his rookie season. He's gonna get a lot of ESPN action in the Rams power run game.

He's a country kid who is a football smart gentleman, and a controlled monster who faced the best in college football and shined.

Donald has a similar personality, and skipped going to NY for the draft to be with his family.

The only thing that made me split on taking Donald in about a second was that Martin also fell, and apparently the Rams felt exactly the same, even to the point of a big move up that would have cost a very high 2015 pick with Baltimore to nab the Notre Dame lineman.

Fisher also had linebacker CJ Mosely there with the other two, and Fisher does like those LB, but in the end, Donald was just the best rated of that trio.

As expected, more short moves than big ones, except for the Bills. Even another big trader, Atlanta's Thomas Dimitroff, stayed put at #6 and got his guy, Jake Matthews.
    Atlanta needed a polished pass defender, a different need than the Rams for their offense.

Heck, even Bill Belicheat stood pat, and took a guy no one had in the first round of course.

WIth a day to restack the board, GMs will all be looking to make deal ups and downs right from the start on round two, and even before, especially for that first pick today. The Same will happen for the first pick in round 4 tomorrow, as it always seems to do.

The Rams could be a part of that, to land one of the last top OL, like Cyrus Kouandjio, another road grader type, or Morgan Moses, who fell out of round one as many expected for a guy overrated a bit. Versatile Joel Bittonio is also still there, with B. Turner the dark horse.

If the Rams see a guard as the best thing, Xavier Sua Filo, Gabe Jackson and Cryil Richardson and David Yankey are there still, and one will surely be there at #44.

In a thin OLB crop, Kyle Van Noy might be too good to pass on if he is not taken quickly as expected today.

The run on corners, and safeties could leave the Rams out in the cold in round two, where a safety may be a reach. Lamarcus Joyner and Ed Reynolds appear to be the best safeties left, and Joyner could go very soon after 7pm CDT.

At corner, you still have M. Roberson, E. Gaines, S. Pierre-Baptiste, and the small college St Charles, Mo resident Pierre Desir, but those guys may be part of a CB run early in round two.

If the Rams see a WR like Jordan Matthews, D. Adams, C. Lattimer, or J. Landry on the board at #44, they have to at least consider one of them if the DB and OL and LB are gone that they liked.

Look for the Niners, who stayed put in round one, as well as the Rams and others with a lot of picks, to move up in round two. I could see the Niners moving right to the top with TWO picks, with all those third rounders to use as trade bait.

The Niners need a speedy WR and a cornerback, and those positions will get way thinner by the time the Niners pick in round two.

If they can get to the top 5 in round two with both picks, they can get near first round talents right where they need them.

As far as the Rams, if they do stay at #44 and the positions of need break badly for them, I would not be at all shocked to see them take the best RB on the board, maybe the first taken. How about reuniting Tre Mason and Greg Robinson? Snead and Fisher BOTH have big love for Auburn.

The teams left with a QB need, Houston, Tennessee, Oakland, and Tampa Bay, seem to still be in a sweet spot for a round two QB. KC may also be in t hat market.

So before pick #44, we should see three, maybe even four QBs go. The market got a bit thinner with the Mettenberger back issues, but Jimmy Garopolo, David Carr, and possibly Tom Savage and AJ McCarron could be among that first 12 picks in round two, if those teams needing them don't trade down just a bit and still get the QB they desire.

Looks like two TE will also be among the top second rounders, and A. Seferian-Jenkins as well as Jace Amaro could be serious trade targets right at the top of the round. Also, some team may look hard at dealing up for Marquise Lee (The Niners?)

The first 24 or so players, my top couple tiers, all have been drafted, but the last 8 picks or so in the round brought some real surprises, and left some first round talent on the board for today, especially at WR and QB.

I won't do an early second mock, because I know for sure trades are gonna happen, but I'd look for among these probable second rounders in the top 12 tonight.

DT L. Nix, T. Jernigan
    TE A. Seferian Jenkins, J. Amaro
    WR M. Lee, J. Mathews, C. Lattimer, J. Landry, P. Richardson
    OL X. Sua Filo,C. Kouandjio M. Moses, J. Bittonio
    DE S Tuitt, S, Crichton, K. Ealy, C. Smith, Attaochu
    QB Carr, Garopollo, Savage
    RB C. Hyde, B. Sankey
    C. M. Martin, W. Richberg
    LB D. Lawrence, K. Van Noy, T. Murphy
    CB Pierre Desir, S. Pierre Baptiste
    S. L. Joyner

As far as the Rams, I hope they deal up a bit, to get one of those first round talents.

My board for today;

1. J. Bittonio OL
    2. C. Kouandjio T
    3. L. Joyner S
    4. Mathews WR
    5. M. Lee WR
    6. X Sua Filo G
    7. K Van Noy LB
    8. M. Martin C
    9. P. Desir CB
    10. S. Pierre Baptiste CB
    11. M. Lee WR
    12. C. Hyde RB
    13. T. Mason RB

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Day Post Mortem

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    First off, those who REALLY did their homework
    That's where I stopped reading.

While you may have posted some worthwhile insights after that opening, I just no interest in your "attacking the strawman" tone.

And, while I may be the only one candid enough to tell you this, I'm confident that I'm not the only one who reacts this way.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-09-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    Sauceman likes this.

citr92 is online now Registered User

hm...marqise lee gets to play on two teams?

drafted 5th and 11th apparently lol

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Oops on Lee. It was very early after a long day. I think he'll be a Niner very soon tonight.

And Avenger, I won't stoop to your level with your constant need to rip me for anything you THINK I am saying.

You really need some serious help concerning this obsession with me, and Dez agress, by the way.

Even on a great day after a draft you can't resist attacking, probably like a hack painter would when ripping Picasso's work.

Sorry I spend more time, more YEARS on this than you, and as usual you dismiss those who really do know more than you as arrgant.

I BOW to my draft idols like Joel Buchsbaum, and some of the real scouts doing this now,like Mayock and Jeremiah, and pretty much every real GM I ever got to know, while guys like YOU still think you know more in your little kingdom.

You didn't get Watkins , as I and everyone expert said you wouldn't, so i guess now you hate the Rams draft.

I expect the same "following their career as a what if" nonsense with Watkins that we saw with Suh, from the same idiots

Grow up.
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Devolved into more personal attacks.

Can't play nice? Thread closed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

When did I pick Watkins? LOL