Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The First pick in the 2008 NFL Draft ...

There shouldn't be questions about the first pick in the draft.

For that reason I don't see Parcells taking Jake Long.

LEFT Tackles are at a premium in the NFL. Left Tackles routinely face the best pass rusher on the opposing team. They have the quarterback's back - literally.

It looks as if Jake Long may have quickness and footwork issues that make him better suited as a RIGHT tackle. Yes, a Pro Bowl Right Tackle - but a Right Tackle, nonetheless.

There are questions about Vernon Gholston.

He takes off on plays, there are questions about him wearing down, and many think he may have issues with the run in the NFL.

If the latest report is true about Glenn Dorsey not having good lower body flexion in his Pro day workout and that he doesn't plan to show for a follow-up medical evaluation (combine re-check eval), then I think you can scratch Glenn Dorsey from the No. 1 spot too.

IMO, we see there are limited options for the number 1 spot.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: The First pick in the 2008 NFL Draft ...

I would say that Dorsey's main problem lies in that he doesn't fit in a 3-4 well, not his medical issues, though that does play some role as well.

As for Jake Long, his supposed lack of quickness is just about all you can find on him. He went up against a multitude of great college players and for the most part shut them down. I thought at the combine he pretty much showed that he can do everything needed to play LT as well. Jake Long is perfectly safe as a first pick in my mind, and I still have him as the second on my board.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

TekeRam,

My understanding is that Jake Long does NOT have the quickness and footwork of Joe Thomas (third overall last year). I just don't think there should be a question of whether you can play OLT when you're the Number 1 pick in the entire draft.

I think Jake Long at number 2 is much more reasonable.

Rambos is offline Registered User

My understanding is that Jake Long does NOT have the quickness and footwork of Joe Thomas (third overall last year).
    He does not have the foot work of the pro bowl rookie drafted last year. But it does in no way mean he can't play LT.

LEFT Tackles are at a premium in the NFL.
    You said it and thats why he could go one.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It seems like you're implying that their only choice is Chris long, but why is he such a good thing for the Dolphins? He had an unassuming college career until he got the opportunity to line up as a 4-3 defensive end. He had 7 sacks in 30 games as a 3-4 defensive end, which really isn't the kind of production that is going to make a big difference. So if the Dolphins are playing the 3-4, do they waste the talent of their number one pick using him to take on blockers to let less talented pass rushers try to get to the quarterback? Or do they line him up as a 3-4 outside linebacker? His speed is pretty good for a defensive lineman, but for an outside linebacker who will sometimes drop into coverage, it's kind of on the slow side.

Chris Long is a 4-3 defensive end.

Glenn Dorsey is a 4-3 undertackle.

You complain about Gholston taking plays off, even though he tied Chris Long and a few others in 2007 for second place in sacks in all of Division I football. You speculate that he will have problems playing the run. And yet, he is still arguably the best defensive player for a 3-4 system.

Then there's Jake Long. It seems like the prevailing opinion is that he could be a very good left tackle or a spectacular right tackle. The guy has allowed like 2 sacks in as many years playing against top competition, and his pass-blocking is apparently what is currently under scrutiny. Instead of looking at the hundreds of plays where he put his man on the ground, people dig at him for the one game he gave up a sack to Gholston.

Or they could go with Matt Ryan, who doesn't really seem to be considered a top five pick in most circles, but a quarterback might be what Miami needs worst. Under the circumstances, it's no surprise at all that the Dolphins are desperate to trade out of the first overall pick.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I wouldn't say that Long can't play a 3-4, but I will agree with you that he would probably need to lose some weight so as to be able to run a bit quicker.

With either Long or Gholston, I would liken them to a Shawne Merriman, who in his 42 games has 145 solo tackles, 39.5 sacks, and only one interception. He doesn't do much in pass coverage either. So in this sense, Long's "lack" of long range speed and Gholston's questionable field awareness would not be that exposed if they fulfill the same role as Merriman. I won't argue that Gholston fits a 3-4 better than Dorsey or Long, as I believe he does as well.

As for Jake Long, he's only allowed two sacks in FOUR years as a starter. One as a RT one as a LT. Yes, for some reason, people are now trying to bash his pass protecting because they can't find sacks, so they find all the QB hits they can find and pin them on him. Lets see all the QB hits that Joe Thomas allowed in his college career or last year, ok? How about all the hits allowed by the RAMS last year? I would be perfectly happy to get Jake for the simple fact that he will either be able to handle the Right side all by himself, allowing us to roll protection to the left, or he'll at the least be able to hold his own on the left and allow us to keep a balanced protection. Either way, he'll make our offensive line a strength.