RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

And with the first pick, the Rams should take

STLToday
    By Roger Hensley
    4/24/2009

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: After weeks of talking about it, the NFL draft finally begins tomorrow. Rather than predicting who the St. Louis Rams will take, Id like you to put your GM hat on. If you were running the Rams draft, who would you take with the No. 2 pick and why?

JIM THOMAS

All signs point to the Rams taking a tackle. But Aaron Curry is the best player in the draft. The Wake Forest linebacker would bring attitude, leadership and charisma to a defense lacking in all of those areas. Hed be my pick.

BERNIE MIKLASZ
    I would take USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, because hes ideal to run the West Coast offense and he displays outstanding leadership qualities. Hes an ideal fit and the Rams cant be sure theyll have such an attractive option at QB in the 2010 Draft. In the end, though, the Rams will decide to make one more attempt at reviving Marc Bulger. And theyll make the safer, more pragmatic choice by grabbing Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith.

BRYAN BURWELL
    I would go offensive tackle, and Id be happy with either Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe. I want to get massive up front to dominate games. I would probably go OT in second or third round, too. I want enormous folks whose entire families are big-boned too.

JEFF GORDON
    Going against conventional wisdom, I would select Aaron Curry and stick him in the middle of that defense. The Rams have a woeful linebacker corps beyond Will Witherspoon. Steve Spagnuolo is a defensive-minded coach who knows how to maximize his talent on that side of the ball. Then I would take an offensive tackle with the second pick and I would look to move up into the first round to get a little more quality there. There is risk in doing that, since the better tackles will leave the board. But it is a risk worth taking.

KATHLEEN NELSON
    Eugene Monroe: Ill confess that I havent watched film, but the scouts who have seem to give Monroe the edge as a pass blocker over Jason Smith. Im sure either will develop into an anchor for the offensive line, but the recurring image of Marc Bulger on his back or side, writhing in pain, makes me think pass protection is a more urgent need. Just dont expect either Monroe or Smith next year to be Orlando Pace in his prime.

GERRY FRALEY
    USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, in a heartbeat. The Rams are not going to win with Marc Bulger. He has taken a horrific beating and is regressing. Bulger also lacks the aura of a big-time quarterback. No need to worry about that with Sanchez. Hes good and knows it, which is not all bad when it comes to a quarterback.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: And with the first pick, the Rams should take

Aaron Curry

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Fraley nailed it: MARK SANCHEZ!!!

#39 Fan Guest

I'm cool with any of the four. Warming up to the Sanchez idea

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I respect Gordon, but I think his reasoning for Curry is rather poorly stated. Members on this site have made better arguments than Gordon's reasoning, but I recognize he probably wasn't allowed to elaborate beyond that given the constraints of the article's set-up.

It's also interesting that the journalists seem to be split among all four candidates.