Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bar-bq

Thread: First round talent?

rampower is offline Registered User

First round talent?

Some recent topics on here got me thinking. What dictates a first round talent. If the pool of talent is small, the first round talent is thinner, but people will proclaim some guys a first round talent, some guys not?

It's almost like the Mythical Super Bowl winning QB, some guys that have won them aren't that good, some that haven't are awesome. I understand that When people use the phrase Super Bowl winning quarterback, they by and large are saying one of those 4 or 5 QB's that come along every decade who always win in the clutch and play better under pressure, always finding a way to win.

Anyways back on Topic,

What makes a player a 'first round talent'

The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: First round talent?

They have to be like, really really good at football.
    Tampa_Ram and citr92 like this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

More seriously - valid question. My opinion: adjudication that ANY player is a first round talent will vary from franchise to franchise, scout to scout. If a player ends up being picked in the first round, not only is he probably one of the best entering the league at his position, he also likely factors in at a position of need for the franchise picking him.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

You're pretty much guaranteed to be a 1st rounder if you are the best at your position (kickers and punters and sometimes guards excluded).

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    Some recent topics on here got me thinking. What dictates a first round talent. If the pool of talent is small, the first round talent is thinner, but people will proclaim some guys a first round talent, some guys not?

Pro Fooball weekly issues a draft guide that provides a numerical value for each player listed. The numerical chart ranges from 4.00 - to 9.00. Guys who rate between 4.00- and 4.49 are pretty much projected as street free agents with almost no chance of being drafted. At the other end of the spectrum, a player with a 9.00 rating is considered a "once in a lifetime" player. Jim Brown, Lawrence Taylor, John Elway etc.

Any player rated above 5.95 is considered to be a 1st round talent. Sam Bradford was rated a 7.00 by PFW as an example (a player rated between 7.00 & 7.49 is projected to be a Pro Bowl caliber player).

Every team no doubt has its own evaluation scheme whereby they stack their draft board, I mentioned PFW simply as an example. (Whether one agrees with their ratings is another matter entirely). Interestingly for the 2010 draft, PFW listed a total of 35 players with a first round grade, and in 2011 only 29 players were listed.

Even in a perceived thin talent pool, 32 players are going to be selected in round 1 of the draft. So I guess the answer to your question: "What dictates a first round talent?" is that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Running back Terrell Davis was the 196th player selected in the 1995 draft. I would say he proved to possess first round talent in terms of his production. Hindsight being 20/20. Another guy named Deacon Jones lasted until the 14th round back in 1961 - I'd say he had first round talent as well ...