AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Five 2010 FAs who intrigue me

The list will certainly change over time, but here are five guys I have my eye on:

Thomas Davis, OLB, Carolina
    This guy has come into his own and become the hard-hitting playmaker envisioned when the Rams had him on their draft board years ago. He would look great along-side JL.

Steve Breaston, WR, Arizona
    He has been overshadowed by Fitzgerald and Boldin, but I think he has the potential to be at least a #2, if not a primary target. Plus, its always nice to take talent away from division rivals.

Darren Sproles, RB, San Diego
    He would be a nice addition as a change-of-pace guy for Jackson, a receiver out of the backfield, and a kick returner.

Kyle Orton, QB, Denver
    I have a hard time believing that the Broncos won't lock him up, but if they low ball him, I could see him as the one potential alternative to drafting a QB. He might not have the upside of the top prospects, but he is talented and proven.

Darryl Tapp, DE, Seattle
    He has shown some flashes as a pass rusher. If the price is not too high, I'd be in favor of stealing him from the Hawks.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Five 2010 FAs who intrigue me

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The list will certainly change over time, but here are five guys I have my eye on:

Thomas Davis, OLB, Carolina
    This guy has come into his own and become the hard-hitting playmaker envisioned when the Rams had him on their draft board years ago. He would look great along-side JL.

Steve Breaston, WR, Arizona
    He has been overshadowed by Fitzgerald and Boldin, but I think he has the potential to be at least a #2, if not a primary target. Plus, its always nice to take talent away from division rivals.

Darren Sproles, RB, San Diego
    He would be a nice addition as a change-of-pace guy for Jackson, a receiver out of the backfield, and a kick returner.

Kyle Orton, QB, Denver
    I have a hard time believing that the Broncos won't lock him up, but if they low ball him, I could see him as the one potential alternative to drafting a QB. He might not have the upside of the top prospects, but he is talented and proven.

Darryl Tapp, DE, Seattle
    He has shown some flashes as a pass rusher. If the price is not too high, I'd be in favor of stealing him from the Hawks.
    Breaston is a Restricted FA so he will probably receive a high tender.

This LB class is going to be deep regardless of who gets resigned in addition to davis you D.J. Williams Broncos, Deqwell Jackson Browns, Thomas Howard and Kirk Morison Raiders, Bo Rudd Bucs, and Demeco Ryan Texans. All are great options, but they are more expensive than 2 guys I think will be near the top of our list and that is Chris Gocong and Chase Blackburn. 2 former spags LBs Blackburn can play all 3 spots, but would play on the weakside here. Gocong can play SLB and some DE. I wouldn't be surprised is we get one or both of those guys.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Here are some of the top 5 guys at each position that will UFA

WR- (Drool, but most of these guys have character problems or are getting resigned.)
    1. Vincent Jackson, Chargers
    2. Brandon Marshall, Broncos
    3. Miles Austin, Cowboys( We need to pay him whatever he wants)
    4. Braylon Edwards, Jets
    5. Antonio Bryant, Buccaneers
    6. Terrell Owens, Bills

DE (All great options and good pass rushers not deep behind them when it comes to starters)
    1. Elvis Dumervil, Broncos
    2. Aaron Kampman, Packers
    3. Richard Seymour, Raiders
    4. Jimmy Wilkerson, Buccaneers
    5. Darryl Tapp, Seahawks

DT (seasoned vets, but DT class has some depth)
    1. Casey Hampton, Steelers
    2. Domata Peko, Bengals
    3. Barry Cofield, Giants
    4. Tony Brown, Titans
    5. Ryan Picket, Packers

MLB (Studds in the top 5, but we already have ours, although they could all play another position)
    1. Demeco Ryans, Texans
    2. Barrett Rudd, Buccaneers
    3. Kirk Morison, Raiders
    4. Garry Brackett, Colts
    5. D'Qwell Jackson, Browns

OLB (deep beyond top 5 where there are cheaper guys who are more than capable starters)
    1. D.J. Williams, Broncos
    2. Thomas Davis, Panthers
    3. Thomas Howard, Raiders
    4. Keith Bullock, Titans
    5. Shawne Merriman, Chargers

CB (top heavy)
    1. Dunta Robinson, Texans
    2. Terence Newman, Cowboys
    3. Terrence McGee, Bills
    4. Richard Marshall, Panthers
    5. Leigh Bodden, Patriots

OL (Deep beyond top 5)
    1. Tyson Clabo, OT, Falcons
    2. Logan Makins, OG, Patriots
    3. Marcus McNeil, OT, Chargers
    4. Deuce Lututi, OG, Cardinals
    5. Harvey Dahl, OG, Falcons

TE ( Top 2 are studs the rest only ok)
    1. Tony Schefler, Broncos
    2. Benjamin Watson, Patriots
    3. Bo Scaife, Titans
    4. Anthony Fason, Dolphins
    5. Brandon Manumaleuna, Chargers

RB
    1. Jerrious Norwood, Falcons
    2. Leon Washington, Jets
    3. Darren Sproles, Chargers
    4. Willie Parker, Stealers
    5. Lendale White, Titans

QB- (Orton RFA, full of young guys who where at 1 time considered to be the future)
    1. Tavaris Jackson, Vikings
    2. Jason Campbell, Redskins
    3. Brodie Croyle, Chiefs
    4. Kellen Clemons, Jets
    5. Kyle Boller Rams

Broncos have a ton of top flight FA's even guys not on this list. Orton is an RFA they will work on extension, Dumervil will probably get tagged. Guys like Marshall, Schefler, and Williams will be fair game.

When this offseason comes around the 5 pillars will be put to the test. We definately need a veteran #1 Reciever and there will to some great number 1 options available. If you can't get a guy like Austin or Jackson, will we be willing to go after a guy with some issues? We shall see

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

with the exception of orton i like all of these guys as well. i just think that we need a qb that can make some plays with his feet, whether picking up his own yards or extending the play and throwing it downfield, because the d is going to keep coming at us as long as sjax is around. the only thing that worries me is the whole cba thing, who knows if there will even be any free agents available? i hope so.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I have always liked orton but denver will never let him go now. Jason campbell can make plays with his feet and i dont think he was given a fair chance in washington, but the last thing we need is a project. tavaris jackson is the same as campbell. I wouldnt mind croyle if he could step it up a little.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I would not want Orton at QB. Right now he has the best pass blocking o-line in the NFL and one of the best groups of receivers to throw to. There is a reason that he is all of a sudden a productive NFL QB and the o-line and guys he is throwing to are a big part of it. Once he gets behind a team with a weak o-line and bad receivers like the Rams I doubt he will still be productive and we'll have a Matt Cassel situation on our hands.

I also don't know how the Rams will be able to afford some of the free agents in the off-season if there will be an uncapped season next year but if they could I would really like to see them go after Vincent Jackson if he doesn't get the franchise tag.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO:

LenDale White RB (24)
    Norwood RB (26) Some people prefer a change of pace back but I prefer to pound another big back (White) when Jackson wears down. If you want to go speed, you get Norwood.
    Lance Moore WR (26)
    Dominik Hixon WR (24)
    I like Daryl Tapp also DE (24)
    Aaron Kampman DE (29)
    DeMeco Ryans LB (25) move him to OLB where he played in college
    Ellis Hobbs CB (26)

I would exchange OJ Atogwe for Antoine Bethea if possible in free agency. Bethea is 3 years younger and pretty darn close to the same player level OJ was 3 years ago.

safetypickle is offline Registered User

Miles Austin has already started to show it this year, but he is a stud and will be a star in another year or two. 39thebeast hit the nail on the head stating we give this guy whatever he wants.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Miles austin has had three good games. Lets not DELTED CONTENT for a guy on a team without a no.1 reciever. Its the cowboys and it is still november. He is definitly not a guy u pay him whatever he wants. Remember when we gave bulger whatever he wanted? HIGHWAY ROBBERY!! set us back a couple years and look where we are now.

I really like Kampman and I think we should just draft a wideout in the second round. There seems to be very deep LB free agent class so it would be nice to have one of those guys depending on how much money we have this offseason.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-10-2009 at 07:05 PM.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I'm not comparing the two players(bulger and austin). Because Bulger definitly had good seasons. I just don't know why he had to be the highest paid QB it really screwed us because we were getting old and we spent a bunch of money in one position. Austin has had a few good games, but we dont need anymore no.2 or 3 recievers.