eldfan is offline Registered User

Five Free Agents the Rams could target

Five Free Agents the Rams could target
    by ram_rod on Jan 14, 2010 3:55 PM CST

Browse more photos
    With the draft fast approaching, everyone seems to be buzzing about Ndamukong Suh (including myself). But as edpjr has pointed out, their is also a large amount of RFA/UFA's that could be hitting the market in the free agency.

Compiled below is a quick list of free agents that the Rams could target. I have no idea what will happen if the league converts to a no-cap, everyone-is-an-RFA type system, so for simplicities sake, I'm leaving that mess out. These players aren't in any order.

1) Jerious Norwood, RB, Atlanta Falcons

Grand Poobah Devaney (hopefully) knows Norwood's capabilities from his stint in Atlanta from 2006 to 2008, where Norwood enjoyed his best years. Jerious looks to be on the way out especially with Jason Snelling carrying the ball so well. He's a quick, change of pace back to Steven Jackson. There is no doubt that Rams need a second back, because Steven simply won't be able to take as much punishment as he received in 2009 much longer. He's everything the Rams would like in a second runningback; he's quick, has the ability to catch passes, has a good career YPC average (5.3 yards off of 373 attempts) and most importantly, will come rather mildly priced.

2) Tony Scheffler, TE, Denver Broncos

One McGenious' trash is another man's treasure, as the saying goes. Scheff is a young, pass-catching tight end with soft enough hands to help whoever might be the quarterback next season. He was put on the scout squad by McDaniels for being a big meanie to the coach, and much like Brandon Marshall, may be on his way out of Denver. He would be a more expensive option, but most likely wouldn't break the bank, which is something that most of the Rams free agent acquisitions this year will most likely have in common.

3) Aaron Kampman, DE, Green Bay Packers

Luckily for the Rams, Kampman has struggled of late switching to Don Caper's 3-4 scheme. He has seemed somewhat out of place as an OLB and probably would fit best if he returned to a 4-3 DE. He had an injury this year and Brad Jones did well enough as his replacement that the Packers probably won't keep Kampman around. He's still only one year removed from a 9.5 sack season, and just turned 30 a few months ago. He's a bit on the older side for the Rams, but should have plenty in the tank for a mid-length contract. Like Scheffler, he could be a bit more expensive, but the Rams are desperate for front seven help and will most likely be willing to pay quite a bit for improving it.

4) Jason Campbell, QB, Washington Redskins

Hold the phone- I just pulled a Van. This idea has met a lot of opposition, but quite frankly, you're not going to find an All-Pro, young, franchise, cheap quarterback on the market. There's been a lot of talk here about Kevin Kolb, but quite frankly, the Eagles aren't going to let him go, especially with only one year remaining on aging Donovan McNabb's contract. If the Rams are looking for something more long term, they'll either need to look in the draft or try for a QB like Campbell. Statistically, every year he has improved. His stats aren't anything to brag about, but hated OC Pat Shurmur was indeed a QB coach before coming to the Rams. Not only that, but with a few pieces available, the Rams could create a nice support system for him. He'd be a good, inexpensive pickup for the Rams should they look for another QB.

5) Donald Penn, OT, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Penn is a young, talented tackle. He currently plays LT, but could probably make the transition should it be required of him. He'd most likely be a cheaper option only because of his lack of fitness. Reports came out that he tipped the scales at a Free Willy-esque 360 pounds, which is huge. Spagnuolo has had mixed success in helping offensive lineman throughout the course of the season, but a little Spagalosophy could go a long way in helping out a player condition himself. Depending on what Tampa wants to do, he may be resigned, but he'd be a great pickup should he become available.

Wilcard: Richard Marshall, CB, Carolina Panthers

Marshall is a young, physical CB from Carolina, and DC Ken Flajole would most likely have some sway in helping the Rams cause. He's on the small side, but unlike Tye Hill, he's actually put up stats. He's not the most insane ball-hawk you've ever seen, but he's picked up some nice turnover numbers in addition to his clockwork 80 or so tackles a season. The Panthers would be stupid to let him go, but should they do, the Rams would be wise to to take a look at him.

:ramlogo:

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Re: Five Free Agents the Rams could target

This Jerious Norwood sounds like a good cheap back-up. But according to espn stats he's {209} lbs and only 5-11. Kinda small in my opinion. And Norwood seems to be anything but elusive and fast.
    Jerious Norwood Profile - Atlanta Falcons - ESPN
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-16-2010 at 05:38 AM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    This Jerious Norwood sounds like a good cheap back-up. But according to espn stats he's 109 lbs and only 5-11. Kinda small in my opinion. And Norwood seems to be anything but elusive and fast.
    Jerious Norwood Profile - Atlanta Falcons - ESPN
    Kinda small at 109 would be an understatement to say the least. Actually Norwood is listed at 209. 109 in the NFL would be suicide.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

5'11 and 109lbs? I didn't know runway models were now playing in the NFL!

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

That would be an outstanding free agent class IMO. I love kampman and i've been talkin about j.campbell since week 7. I really like jerious as a change of pace to SJ. Scheffler is a very big upgrade at te. I like what you're saying about penn but i've never seen him so im not sure.

I've heard we have a lot of money to spent this offseason, something like the third most in the league. I was wondrin if anyone knew how much money that actually is.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i can see the Rams taking a shot at all of those players except Kampman. Kampman is likely to draw high interest around the league but its his age that puts me off. I dont see the Rams giving the money that would be required to sign Kampman to a guy his age. Everyone else on the list is young enough to be adding to the team though. But i only see them going after Penn if he is cheap. He has been a starting LT in this league so if Tampa lets him hit free agency someone is going to throw money at him
    Last edited by tomahawk247; -01-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Apologies for my typographical error, lol, 209 lbs. But still, that doesn't seem a little light for a RB? Colt McCoy is 210 lbs.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -01-16-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Apologies for my typographical error, lol, 209 lbs. But still, that doesn't seem a little light for a RB? Colt McCoy is 210 lbs.
    It'd be light if he were a bruiser, but not surprising for a back who relies more on speed. Chris Johnson (league-leading rusher and Offensive Player of the Year) is listed at 5'11", 200 lbs. I think adding Norwood would make a lot of sense.

I'm not fond of the idea of picking up Jason Campbell, though. Inexpensive maybe, but not good. The Redskins haven't been very good with him, especially on offense. Part of the blame might be attributed to Campbell not being a good fit for their offensive system (which is coincidentally similar to ours) and part on the lack of production of his young receivers (also a familiar circumstance). I don't think there is much reason to think that the conditions here would translate into different results, and we don't want the results the Redskins were getting.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I like the potential in alot of these guys but i would make a few changes.

Aron Kampman- I see the point in gettin him, he is a good player. The age kinda wards me off however, at 30 (I may be wrong i think thats his age) he will be on the decline of his career with us, I would rather pursue Ray Edwards of Minny. Although I understand we might have alittle bit of a hard convincing him to come over here.

Jason Campbell- While im not tottaly against campbell I would rather pursue Troy Smith who i believe is a Restricted Free Agent this year. At the very least we could probably throw david roach and a 6th round pick at baltimore and they might bite on it in a trade. Campbell as his former coach at auburn said thrives on positive energy, and with his career going like it has, this team might not be the best place for him. Troy Smith however can be molded into a very good QB. Since he is still very young and will come cheap we might get our franchise QB from the bargain bin.

I like all the other players though.