Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By berg8309
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Five Remaining FAs Worth a Look-See

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Five Remaining FAs Worth a Look-See

I warn you in advance... this list is not going to make you jump out of your chair and scream "SIGN HIM!!!"

That said, I think these five could be good fits:

Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Broncos
    There's a good chance he'll re-sign with Denver, and he's also paid a visit to New Orleans. However, if he does not reach a deal with either club, I think he'd be a good fit in St. Louis on a young DL featuring Chris Long, Robert Quinn and Kendall Langford.

Erin Henderson, LB, Vikings
    He's young (25), has good size (6'3, 244 lbs) and seems to be a player who is ascending. I'd like to see him lined up next to James Laurinaitis.

Tracy Porter, CB, Saints
    The Rams are clearly interested, but so are several other teams. He'd be a nice addition and would give the Rams a solid pair of starters at the CB spot.

Rocky McIntosh, LB, Redskins
    McIntosh would be a solid addition, and probably not too expensive. He's a good tackler, and has experience playing in many formations.

Jacob Hester, FB, Chargers
    Hester is a jack-of-all trades. He can carry the ball in short yardage. He can block. He can catch the ball. He plays on special teams. Not a star, by any means, but a "glue" player who can help a team.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Five Remaining FAs Worth a Look-See

I wouldn't balk at any of those 5. They would be nice additions to this roster.

I especially like the Henderson choice. He seems to be a guy that could fill the SAM spot.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I would like Tracy Porter actually, after living in New Orleans the last 6 years and seeing him play (You can't avoid watching the games forever down here). He's a solid corner that I think would be an upgrade, and he's still young.

However, don't we only have 7mil in cap space left with the draft and a couple of RFAs to sign? The Rams could still re-structure Jason Smith's deal or cut him, I guess they are either waiting on that or can't come to an agreement and don't want to lose him for nothing. Still, I have to wonder how much more we can do given our tight cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I would like Tracy Porter actually, after living in New Orleans the last 6 years and seeing him play (You can't avoid watching the games forever down here). He's a solid corner that I think would be an upgrade, and he's still young.

However, don't we only have 7mil in cap space left with the draft and a couple of RFAs to sign? The Rams could still re-structure Jason Smith's deal or cut him, I guess they are either waiting on that or can't come to an agreement and don't want to lose him for nothing. Still, I have to wonder how much more we can do given our tight cap space.
    Smith can definitely be restructured if need be. Donnie Jones as well, perhaps.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

What about Demetrius Bell? I know he has knee issues, but he is only 28 and is still a solid Tackle

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Id definitely take the two LB's here, as they both look like upgrades to the roster. In fact, I think their all upgrades to the Rams roster.! No doubt in my mind. Bunkley isn't too bad of a player. Moneywise, a DT like Aubrey Franklin, would be a good fit to our defense.?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Can we go to Costco and get these in one big free agent team pack?

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Can we go to Costco and get these in one big free agent team pack?
    No, the previous regime was stupid and got a Sam's Club Card, and they only carry MLB players. That was the real reason they were fired, true story.
    rammiser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    No, the previous regime was stupid and got a Sam's Club Card, and they only carry MLB players. That was the real reason they were fired, true story.
    Don't say that around Rams Park! Kroenke's wife is a Walton (Wal-Mart), so she is one of Sam's Club's owners!
    berg8309 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Correct me please if i am wrong, but i thought donnie jones was a free agent at this time (rather than the reference that Av had to potentially restructuring). I think Josh Brown is under contract and could potentially be restructured. If i am correct and Jones is a free agent, i would like to try and sign him.

I dont like the idea of paying real money for a corner right now. I dont mind signing one for depth, but i dont like paying starter money because there is a chance we could be looking at Claiborne with the number 6 pick. That chance is obviously speculative at this point, but if we pay starter money now and then get claiborne, while it looks great on paper in the secondary, i dont think it looks good cap wise. Its the same reason that i dont want to pay real money right now for a ben jarvius green or other solid backup running back (and then take the risk that the guy winds up a third stringer if we get richardson).

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Don't say that around Rams Park! Kroenke's wife is a Walton (Wal-Mart), so she is one of Sam's Club's owners!
    Well I heard she advised them her company only carries one brand of professional level athletes and that they should seek a costco membership (off the record of course) but that DeSpags thought that Sam's had better prices on paper plates, which they needed a lot of, and that they might be able to use off-brand athletes as NFL players. Turns out they were wrong.
    Last edited by berg8309; -03-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.