Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Safety

richtree is offline Registered User

Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Safety

Quite simple every year there is a tough decision to be made by a team and front office....it was clear that they made up their mind to get Austin over Hopkins and no one can have a problem with that...not even people that are anti-Austin in round 1 like me....I can see that Austin will be a weapon and should be happy...

BUT!!!!!

There was a turning point in this draft, Keenan Allen was on the board...A legit NFL weapon, that obviously the Rams still wanted a WR because they took one in their next pick....

So, with all of the safeties available we pass on Keenan Allen and jump for TJ Mac forever linked a debate of Allen vs. Bailey and TJ Mac versus guys like wilcox, willams, thomas, harmon, willams., etc....

so, I think that obviously Austin and Bailey will help each other since they know each other....

K.Allen is over injury, so win now is very important., other than that....lets see how this plays out....

this is the moment that many Rams fans disagree with our draft, but we all trust Fisher and Snead, and look forward to it playing out....

Time to get ready for a rumble in the NFC West and lets see what this kid Bailey is made of.....do it boyz!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Saf

Richtree, no one wanted Keenan Allen more than me for the Rams. I thought he was the perfect answer for us to offer a WR with great hands, precise route running, able to get separation and able to make contested catches. The fact that he lasted until #76 after being rated the #1 WR at one point tells me the knee injury was a problem. Look at the WR's that went before him Robert Woods, whom I also liked for us & Justin Hunter. Allen is a better receiver than both of them, other than speediness. So I have to assume it was the knee injury that hadn't fully healed. That would have slowed his entry into the line-up and we'd have had another Brian Quick scenario with a slow transition. My only silver lining is that he's not in our conference as is Woods, so we'll not be hurt by his playing against us too often.

I agree about Bailey, let's see what he's got. He'll certainly know how to work with Austin. Maybe we should borrow Geno Smith from the Jets until he displaces Sanchez, for practices.

Go Rams!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Saf

I don't particularly care for the McDonald pick over the safeties left on the board either, but I certainly liked the Stedman Bailey pick.

Stedman, fresh off one of the most productive seasons a college WR can have, is primed to take over Brandon Gibson's role and then some.

Though he doesn't possess the speed his college and now pro teammate (Austin) does, he's plenty fast enough and more importantly, knows his way to the endzone, having just scored 25 in his final collegiate season.

For obvious reasons, I think Bailey was the perfect complementary WR to Austin, no matter who was on the board.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I don't particularly care for the McDonald pick over the safeties left on the board either, but I certainly liked the Stedman Bailey pick.

Stedman, fresh off one of the most productive seasons a college WR can have, is primed to take over Brandon Gibson's role and then some.

Though he doesn't possess the speed his college and now pro teammate (Austin) does, he's plenty fast enough and more importantly, knows his way to the endzone, having just scored 25 in his final collegiate season.

For obvious reasons, I think Bailey was the perfect complementary WR to Austin, no matter who was on the board.
    hard to believe you would have said you rather Bailey over Allen if Rams didnt draft him...

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    hard to believe you would have said you rather Bailey over Allen if Rams didnt draft him...
    Never said I'd rather have Bailey, but I will say that I wasn't particularly a fan of Allen.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Never said I'd rather have Bailey, but I will say that I wasn't particularly a fan of Allen.
    nor was I fortune

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

The Rams just not interested in receivers who can't run, playing on turn in what they want to be a more explosive offense. They have Pettis to be the same guy as Allen, and also Cook, who is way faster.

And what "late safety" would you be using for this long time comparison? You gonna wait till one of that bunch stars and say yea, that was the guy.

This is a nonsense OP.
    RockinRam and DE_Ramfan like this.
    Barry Waller

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late S

Pettis and Cook aren't near as dynamic as Allen. Fact. Rams could have had the top two playmaking WRs in this draft but for whatever reason passed. Allen is a football player not a combine warrior.

Rambos is offline Registered User

TJ McDonald was the one pick that was a surprise to me BUT he was drafted by the one team that had insight on him. Fisher knows a thing or two about playing in the secondary and what he's looking for. He landed Jenkins and TRU and both played a lot as rookies.

TJ has great blood lines, played at a big time school and from what I have read is really a smart guy. He loves football and likes to watch a ton of film like Jenkins. Fisher has said he had a bad year and understands why. We have a great coach in Tim Walton to make this kid great.

I was lost on the free safety vs strong safety. Fisher said yesterday that our safeties are interchangeable and in this NFL you need to be able to play both spots at times and TJ fits the bill.

I agree with Barry on the receivers, Fisher said in the presser yesterday we wanted to get faster and get playmakers and we did that. Allen is a possession type WR same as Pettis and Giibby... sure he may become a lot better then both of those guys but so might Quick.
    MauiRam likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I was lost on the free safety vs strong safety. Fisher said yesterday that our safeties are interchangeable and in this NFL you need to be able to play both spots at times and TJ fits the bill.
    Thanks for sharing this. My assumption was the opposite, that Fisher liked two guys in more specific roles. But it makes sense that he'd view them more interchangeably; the Rams' interest in Vaccaro, a guy who is versatile enough to do just about anything asked of him, supports that view.

McDonald certainly has the athleticism to do it, and Stewart has been adequate in the past. I'm not yet convinced this is a strong area of the defense, but with some coaching and development to shore up their technique, it could be.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Also when you look at the UDFA you can see they are looking for the same type of players at safety.

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Faulkner University
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 220

Cody Davis, S, Texas Tech
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 202

Both these guys have a shot at making the team IMO
    Nick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams just not interested in receivers who can't run, playing on turn in what they want to be a more explosive offense. They have Pettis to be the same guy as Allen, and also Cook, who is way faster.

And what "late safety" would you be using for this long time comparison? You gonna wait till one of that bunch stars and say yea, that was the guy.

This is a nonsense OP.
    Firstly, Allen will play this year.

Secondly, Bailey is much more like Pettis than Allen is if you ever looked at each of their tape you would see that....

Thirdly, Allen is bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive. ....Bailey only gets the edge in hands and coming in and out of breaks.....so you contradict yourself there as well.

Shamarko Thomas would be may comparison since he was available, but I don't want to hear the argument that the Rams wouldn't know who would be available at the next pick because

#1 Unless he is legit Ed Reed prospect safeties aren't that important until you are a super bowl team. Especially not over a play-making WR .

#2 It is alot easier to find safeties available throughout the year via trade, Free Agency, and even on practice teams....If Bailey doesn't work out we will be trading for Kenny Britt.....

I think Britt will be a Ram next year anyway via sign and trade for one of our 1st round picks....

Funny how people think Bailey will play better because he was drafted by the same team as Austin...

Not to mention that you had Stewart playing SS not free safety in your pre-draft write up, so how is that a good pick ???

2 words that don't go together..... Bailey and explosive --- just wait and see

But more importantly Richtree, two words that do go together is "Bailey and touchdown!"
    Rambos, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

ramdan is offline Registered User

"TJ McDonald was the one pick that was a surprise to me BUT he was drafted by the one team that had insight on him. "

The Jets certainly have some insight. T.J.'s father is on their coaching staff.

Firstly, Allen will play this year.

Secondly, Bailey is much more like Pettis than Allen is if you ever looked at each of their tape you would see that....

Thirdly, Allen is bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive. ....Bailey only gets the edge in hands and coming in and out of breaks.....so you contradict yourself there as well.

Shamarko Thomas would be may comparison since he was available, but I don't want to hear the argument that the Rams wouldn't know who would be available at the next pick because

#1 Unless he is legit Ed Reed prospect safeties aren't that important until you are a super bowl team. Especially not over a play-making WR .

#2 It is alot easier to find safeties available throughout the year via trade, Free Agency, and even on practice teams....If Bailey doesn't work out we will be trading for Kenny Britt.....

I think Britt will be a Ram next year anyway via sign and trade for one of our 1st round picks....

Funny how people think Bailey will play better because he was drafted by the same team as Austin...

Not to mention that you had Stewart playing SS not free safety in your pre-draft write up, so how is that a good pick ???

Keenan Allen Career
    REC 205 2570 YARDS 17 TDs

Stedman Bailey Career
    REC 210 3218 YARDS 41 TDs

richtree what is it you see that I don't? Bailey has only 5 more catches in his career yet he has 648 more yards and 24 TDs. What is it that you see, that makes you can say Allen is more explosive then Bailey.

Help me understand.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-01-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast