Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Safety

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Saf

According to Nick Wagoner, the Rams coveted McDonald. It also seems clear that they value speed and athleticism on offense. So with those factors in mind, it's pretty obvious why they'd take McDonald over Allen. Only time will tell if McDonald pans out, but given what the Rams appear to be moving towards on offense, it's unlikely Allen would be a good fit for their plans. So, he wasn't the pick.

For whatever reason, something about Allen scared off every NFL team at least once and some twice, hence his availability in the third round. He's a talented prospect, so he may be an NFL success on another team in another system, but I don't think that means he would have been in St. Louis given their vision for the offense.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Re: Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late Saf

Not really sure what the fuss is about.

IMO, the Rams couldn't have selected a more complementary receiver to Austin than his college teammate, who was just as productive as he was.

And for the record, it really doesn't matter if Allen proves to be a better NFL reciever. The Rams selected the one that they felt best suited what they plan to do.

That is it, and that is all.
    Rambos, Nick, eric2810 and 2 others like this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Isn't it impossible to know-unless they told Peter King in the draft room- which WR they would've targeted if the trade up hadn't happened? Didn't I read that they were targeting Ace Sanders as a part of Plan B? I seriously doubt he would have been the only WR if they'd missed out on Austin. Maybe it would have been Bailey, anyway.But maybe not & how that shift in the tumbling draft dominoes may have affected other picks like TJ Mc is a mystery.

Just because they didn't actually draft Allen, Hopkins, Hunter, or whoever doesn't mean they were down on them. Using that criterion to just these prospects' intrinsic value or even relative value in the NFL or even the eyes of NFL evaluators is sketchy. We may not have all the information or interpretive skills but we know it's a wee bit more complex than that,no ?

I dunno why KA fell so far or if it was justified but I agree with Richtree, if this is his overall point, that the Austin pick & how that shaped the profile/plan of this draft was an aggressive approach but it wasn't the only option they probably considered and could have been happy with, inc taking a more conventional WR somewhere in that talent sweet spot between 16-46.

richtree is offline Registered User

exactly, Azul....and I hate the "complimentary" argument....Holt and Bruce were complimentary and never saw each other before the NFL..... .

Bailey is now be talked as just WR depth and bottom like is they took a questionable safety ahead of a legit WR talent in Keenan Allen......

Just think of it this way....if the ***** or SeaHawks only had one pick in this years draft and they could either take Keenan Allen or Stedman Bailey knowing we would have to play against them....

every Ram fan would glady have given them Bailey the day before the draft....now Bailey is a Ram and everyone is changing their tune.....I truly question if he will even play, and if Quick goes down we have no depth in that role....

Hopefully, Bailey and show more., I will keep looking., good luck to TA and SB....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Bailey is now be talked as just WR depth and bottom like is they took a questionable safety ahead of a legit WR talent in Keenan Allen......
    I doubt the Rams would agree with that characterization of McDonald, seeing as how Wagoner stated he's a guy they coveted. Since it's clear now that they put a high value on adding speed to the team, it's possible if not likely that they didn't view Allen as a legit possibility.

Allen may very well become a good player in this league, but it won't be for a Rams team that is placing a high priority on speed at the wide receiver position. And claiming that fans preferred Allen over Bailey before the draft proves nothing, because fans had no idea what type of receiver the Rams were looking for and thus had to consider everyone. Had fans been in on the fact that the Rams wanted speed and explosiveness, then I'm sure Allen's name would have basically dropped from the discussion after his pro day.

That's why this argument - McDonald/Bailey vs. Allen/random as a comparison that will last throughout their careers - probably doesn't hold much validity. It's entirely possible, if not probable based on their stated desire to get faster as a team, that Allen simply wasn't a fit for what the Rams were looking for. You can argue he should have been, but that's an argument against the entire vision this coaching staff seems to have for the offense and a larger issue as a whole.
    Torry Holt likes this.

exactly, Azul....and I hate the "complimentary" argument....Holt and Bruce were complimentary and never saw each other before the NFL..... .

Just think of it this way....if the ***** or SeaHawks only had one pick in this years draft and they could either take Keenan Allen or Stedman Bailey knowing we would have to play against them....

every Ram fan would glady have given them Bailey the day before the draft....now Bailey is a Ram and everyone is changing their tune.....I truly question if he will even play, and if Quick goes down we have no depth in that role....

Hopefully, Bailey and show more., I will keep looking., good luck to TA and SB....

Perhaps you hate the "complementary" arguement because you can't prove otherwise.

And hold on a minute, when suggesting what "every" Ram fan would do, and who's changing a tune.

Like I've stated before, I'm not an Anquan Boldin fan, therefore not a Keenan Allen fan.

Surely, you've read that a time or two.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Perhaps you hate the "complementary" arguement because you can't prove otherwise.

And hold on a minute, when suggesting what "every" Ram fan would do, and who's changing a tune.

Like I've stated before, I'm not an Anquan Boldin fan, therefore not a Keenan Allen fan.

Keenan Allen is nothing like Anquan Boldin, maybe at first he looks like that from the eye....but he plays like a cross of Reggie Wayne and Victor Cruz.....

Has there ever been college WRs that have played on the same team before in the NFL and been successful ? I doubt that...but whatever...

If you compare Boldin and Allen....who do you compare Bailey too...not much at all....

Rambos is offline Registered User

Keenan Allen is nothing like Anquan Boldin, maybe at first he looks like that from the eye....but he plays like a cross of Reggie Wayne and Victor Cruz.....

Has there ever been college WRs that have played on the same team before in the NFL and been successful ? I doubt that...but whatever...

If you compare Boldin and Allen....who do you compare Bailey too...not much at all....
    I have read he compares to guys like, Greg Jennings, Steve Smith and Golden Tate.

Not going to argue who is a better WR between Keenan Allen and Stedman Bailey because it is irrelevant.

All I know is Stedman was far more productive in his college career, and that's good enough for me.

Plus, I'm sure the Rams had Brandon Gibson's replacement in mind when they selected Bailey. So in my mind, Bailey should be compared to Gibson, if anybody. And in that comparison, give me Bailey all day long, though Gibson had some nice moments as a Ram.

One thing to always keep in mind is, just because a particular player may be more talented than another, it doesn't necessarily mean he fits a team's scheme or specific role, better.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Firstly, Allen will play this year.

Secondly, Bailey is much more like Pettis than Allen is if you ever looked at each of their tape you would see that....

Thirdly, Allen is bigger, stronger, faster, and more explosive. ....Bailey only gets the edge in hands and coming in and out of breaks.....so you contradict yourself there as well.

Shamarko Thomas would be may comparison since he was available, but I don't want to hear the argument that the Rams wouldn't know who would be available at the next pick because

#1 Unless he is legit Ed Reed prospect safeties aren't that important until you are a super bowl team. Especially not over a play-making WR .

#2 It is alot easier to find safeties available throughout the year via trade, Free Agency, and even on practice teams....If Bailey doesn't work out we will be trading for Kenny Britt.....

I think Britt will be a Ram next year anyway via sign and trade for one of our 1st round picks....

Funny how people think Bailey will play better because he was drafted by the same team as Austin...

Not to mention that you had Stewart playing SS not free safety in your pre-draft write up, so how is that a good pick ???

2 words that don't go together..... Bailey and explosive --- just wait and see
    Why the heck would we trade a first round pick for a guy who has never had over 775 yards and who has had tons of injuries? Especially when he's entering a contract year?

Just makes no sense at all.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I think Britt will be a Ram next year anyway via sign and trade for one of our 1st round picks....
    Two more words that don't go together...Britt and Rams.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It is alot easier to find safeties available throughout the year via trade, Free Agency, and even on practice teams....If Bailey doesn't work out we will be trading for Kenny Britt.....

I think that's something like the 87th time you've mentioned Kenny Britt in a post. I don't know why you are obsessed with the guy, but if you think that the Rams (or any team) would trade a first round draft pick for a guy who has missed 19 games over the past three years, is a known head-case, and has never broken 800 yards in a season, you are, in clinical terms, a crazy person.

general counsel is offline Registered User

How in the world could anyone conclude in a factual assertion that we took a "questionable" talent at safety ahead of a "legitimate" wide receiver talent and state that as a bottom line? I understand that is someone's opinion and they are certainly entitled to that view. However, that was certainly not the view of Fisher/Snead and again, we are not the only one's that passed on Keenan Allen. No knock on Allen, but only time will tell as to whether your statement is correct. You might turn out to be correct of course, but your statement is one of opinion, rather than bottom line anything. It may be the bottom line of your view, and you are certainly entitled to it.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

vanillasue is online now Registered User

Just my two cents .....

The talk about Allen being passed by every team twice is correct. Every team knew he wasn't first round grade and maybe even 2nd round grade.

It would be stupid to give up a first round draft pick for Kenny Britt. That guy is a problem child who misses too many football games.

There have been many comments about many USC football players not having a good year and it was all because of the head coach. I think USC guys like Barkley. Woods and McDonald are better than they played last year. They just were not interested most of the time because they were losing so much.

You all know I wanted DeAndre Hopkins by trading back and we could have got another 3rd and kept our 2nd round pick. In understand DeAndre is the truth in Houston now as they are all bragging about him. Rams can definetely prove me wrong, but remember if Austin is no better than Hopkins you will be pissed that we let a 2nd and 3rd rounder get away which are essentially 2 more starters within a couple years.

Look through those 2nd and 3rd round picks and look at all those extra studs we could have had.

DeAndre Hopkins making early impact for Texans in OTA's
    Last edited by HUbison; -05-22-2013 at 08:35 AM.

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Forever linked in time -- TJ McDonald / Stedman Bailey vs Keenan Allen / Late S

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

I'd like to know the brilliant guy who had Bailey on his radar before the draft rolled around. There were tons of Tavon Austin topics, not many mentions of his teammate that I saw. You'd think with everyone singing his praises that they would have been on him before the pick. Let's get real here, it is what it is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast