AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Forget about trading down. The Rams should be thinking about trading up.

In a previous thread, I noted that the Rams will have few (if any) viable options for trading out of the second pick of the draft. In my opinion, that should not even be the focus. Instead, the Rams should be thinking about trading up.

Trading up from pick #2 to pick #1? No. The Rams should be thinking about trading up from their second round pick (#35) into the late first round of the draft. In fact, I think they are already thinking about just that.

Based upon the the trade value chart, if the Rams packaged their second round pick (#35) with any third round selection, the value would be equal to a first round pick ranging from selection number 21 through 32 (depending on how late in the round the third round pick would be).

I would not want the Rams to limit themselves to only two total selections in the first three rounds of the draft. However, if the Rams can trade Holt, Pace or even Little for a third round pick, the result could be very beneficial.

First, you can't discount the cap room gained by such a trade, particularly if it involves Holt or Pace. If a trade up from pick #35, made in exchange for the that pick and a third round selection acquired for Pace/Holt/Little, the Rams would then have two first rounders (#2, #21-32) and their current third round pick (#66).

This opens up some very intriguing possibilities.

For example, if the Rams have a pick in the 20s, they could afford to consider taking Aaron Curry, B.J. Raji or Michael Crabtree at #2, knowing that there is a good chance that a quality OT is likely to still be available in the late first round.

Or, they could take Eugene Monroe at #2, and use the late first round selection to go for a WR (i.e. Heyward-Bey), a MLB (i.e. Laurinaitis), or even a QB if a guy like Sanchez drops to that point in the first round.

In this scenario, they would still have a high third rounder as well, which could be used to fill another need, or packaged with a later pick to get back in Round 2.

The more I look at this draft class, the more I think there will be some real quality in the late first round. If the Rams can get a pick in that range, and still stay at #2, they can make great strides on draft day.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Forget about trading down. The Rams should be thinking about trading up.

Great point. I don't think a great OT would be there from #21-32 (Oher, Britton would be gone before then I believe) but a player like Laurinaitis would be a steal there IMO. Definitely something to think about after watching the Atlanta Falcons do it with some success last year, although they did have a bevy of second round picks that allowed them to make that deal. If Devaney wants to build through the draft, he would probably want to keep his 2nd and 3rd rounder, but, if a prospect he had rated very highly on his board is still there, he very well could trade up to snag him.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Very intriguing. I think Eben Britton may just fall to us if we trade back in to the first. Oher is dropping, and maybe even Andre Smith. If Britton isn't there, a guy like Vontae Davis, Lauranaitis, Maualauga, Alex Mack, or even Duke Robinson (OU's 330 pound guard) will add some greatly needed talent to this roster.

Robinson didn't play extremely well during the BCS Bowl, and caused a few penalties, but during the regular season, he was pretty dominant. I would love to see him plug our interior up with his 6 foot 5, 330 pound frame.

Alex Mack would also be a huge addition to the interior.

Vontae Davis is a solid corner, who will give us a steady, play-making corner opposite of Bartell. No more worrying about Fakhir Brown or Johnathan Wade. Then maybe Justin King or Ricky Manning could come in and play nickel. That's sounds like a pretty good cornerback corps.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I still don't see why the Rams can't trade down to 6 or 7 for a extra 2nd round pick. Still get 1 of the top 4 OT's. Then trade your 2 & 3 pick to move up. Get the OT rams might have wanted anyway and pick up A. Mack. That would hopefully start to sure up the O-line for a long time. I think A. Mack is one of the best centers to come out of college in a long time. If you still want to trade one of those players you still could and wind up with a 3rd round pick or trade player first and give up there 3rd.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I like that a lot take Eugene Monroe at #2, and use the late first round selection to go for MLB Laurinaitis

A-Web is offline Registered User

I would agree with the concept. When considering trading "down," the only way I liked the thought was if we picked our target player, and say we predicted him to make it to around the 10-12th pick, we could then move down, still get our first target pick, gain a few extra picks (3-4 rounders) and have more draft picks in order to then trade "up" the next picks. One scenario being;

1) Trade down the first draft pick from (2) to (5-6) if either Cleveland or Cincinnatti is looking to pick up someone like an Running back (I.E. Chris Wells) because both of them have need at that position. With a pick #5-6 most of the guys you would be looking to pick up would still be available. This could bring in a round 1 & 3 pick.
    With that # 3 pick, we would now have (Round 1 pick (#5 or 6), a Round 2 second pick, and two round 3 picks.) This makes it more comfortable to trade up the Round 2 pick because we would then have (2 round 1 picks, and a round 3) Still essentially 3 picks in the first 3 rounds, except you now upgraded the picks. Throw in the fact that you could have that Holt / Little / Pace trade, and you might even be able to work that other #3 pick into the second round. 3 picks in the first 2 rounds? Sounds nice eh?

But dreaming is dreaming, and reality will unfold eventually. I am a believer of skill vs quantity. Finding the quality players allows you to refocus your attention to other places, and building "depth" isn't exactly where I stand. Adding depth to low quality players is a waste. Upgrade your low quality players, and depth will form automatically. Having 3 good picks vs 5 so-so picks to me is a much better deal.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    I still don't see why the Rams can't trade down to 6 or 7 for a extra 2nd round pick. Still get 1 of the top 4 OT's.
    #6 is the Bengals and #7 is the Raiders. There is only one player in the draft worth trading up to the #2 pick for. And that is Crabtree.

And i think the Bengals are faced with the same problem we are. Crabtree would be great but they also need OL help so they could just stay there themselves and take 1 one of the top 3.

The Raiders are different. If we do trade out of the #2 pick then this is the team they will trade with. But i think Maklin would be a better fit for them. Right now they are totaly opposite of the Rams in recivers. They have the tall recivers: (curry 6-2, Lelie 6-3, schilens 6-4, Walker 6-3) so i think that they would rather take a shorter more burner type like Maklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Then trade your 2 & 3 pick to move up. Get the OT rams might have wanted anyway and pick up A. Mack. That would hopefully start to sure up the O-line for a long time. I think A. Mack is one of the best centers to come out of college in a long time. If you still want to trade one of those players you still could and wind up with a 3rd round pick or trade player first and give up there 3rd.
    Alex Mack is great. But i think the Center should be addressed in FA like a Matt Birk (short term) and then pick up a Center with a high pick in the next 2 rounds. If we do sure up the OL our Offense will be a whole lot better but then where are we going for Defense? The lions had a good Offense but there defense put them at 0-16. So if we do trade back up listen to Avenger Ram. We should take Laurinitis to bolster our LBs.

I got a question for u guys. What about Aaron Maybin? He has been high on my list. If we trade up before the Patiots we could take Maybin. He can play outside and play DE. This would really help Spags in substitutions. What are ur opinions on Maybin????????????

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramstiles View Post
    I like that a lot take Eugene Monroe at #2, and use the late first round selection to go for MLB Laurinaitis
    that would be a nice pick but should we use that pick for someone who may not even be on the field next season, I say grab Crabtree and get the o-lineman with the next pick,of course this all depends on what Pace does,if he goes then Monroe has to be the pick.

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

If Mark Sanchez pulls a Brady Quinn or Aaron Rodgers and is there at the bottom of the 1st do we make a move to grab him?? Let him push Bulger from year 1 and develop under him??

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Ugh...

Once again, the Rams can only trade down if there is a willing trade partner who can offer a deal that makes sense for both teams. I'm not aware of any.

This thread is about trading up from the early second to the late first round.

Focus people, focus.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I like the concept of trading up into the later part of the first round. I would hope that a tackle will fall to us in that place.

I'm coming to the point of believing that Aaron Curry would be our best bet at #2. He appears to be an elite player that comes along very rarely. Eugene Monroe would be a very solid pick, but Curry can have a huge impact on our defense and be a force in plugging the middle for run defense. He also plays well in space, helping our pass defense. Let's not forget Spags is a defensive coach.

I know this thread is about trading up, but what about trading down in round 2 to gain extra picks in the 2-4 rounds? All that I'm reading about this draft says there are plenty of good OL's meaning we can fortify our line with extra mid-round picks. If we're not going to get an elite OL, why not stock up on tier 2 guys.

Go Rams!

UKRamsFan1981 is offline Registered User

IMO this draft looks one of the deepest in a long time, it's just a shame it looks like its lacking that dominant player or two. I see very few special slam dunk players in this draft just a lot of good ones, some of whom will be available in rounds 2 and 3, it could all change at the combine but right now you could have numerous scenarios and combinations for the top three picks and you only have to look at the numerous mocks to see there isn't even a consensus for who the top pick is. For that reason I think the Rams will struggle to manouver anywhere in the draft, I can't see them being able to move down and like I said before, because of the depth in this draft the chances are there are going to be some very good players available in the second round without having to move back into the first.

I have a gut feeling at least one of Mack, Britton or Laurinaitus is going to be sitting there when the Rams pick in the second round, my guess is the latter. LBs often slide (remember Pus?) and like Pus, Laurinaitus is a pure football player, he's a tackling machine but I can see him sliding because he isn't very flashy (not the fastest, most phyisical or a big hitting LB).

If the Rams were able to snag Curry or Crabtree in the first, Britton in the second and someone like Ron Brace in the third I think I would quite possibly do cartwheels. Add in a decent free agency (Angelo Crowell, James Butler & Jason Brown please!) and the Rams would well on course for being respectable again.
    Last edited by UKRamsFan1981; -02-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.

A-Web is offline Registered User

All I have to note at this point, trading down or up or left or right, is that we now have a gaping hole in our secondary. SS is now an open field, and we have no one to fill it. Something to note however, is that there isn't exactly a whole lot of awesome out there for safety, and Atogwe is pretty much our only secondary presense to fear at this point.

Looking into things, something that could boost our secondary on a bi-lateral level (both CB and Safety) equally, would be the pickup of Malcom Jenkins. Enter NFL.COM Scouting report portion;

"There isn't much NFL scouts don't like about Jenkins. Athletic, intelligent and consistent, Jenkins surprised many when he elected to return for his senior season despite a first-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee in 2008. The three-time first-team All-Big Ten pick and two-time All-American improved his overall consistency, winning the Thorpe Award as the nation's elite defensive back as a senior. A shutdown cornerback who intercepted 11 passes over the past three years, Jenkins was effective at cutting the field in half and sometimes moved him to free safety to generate big plays. A first-round caliber prospect at safety or cornerback, Jenkins' consistent play and versatility should land him a spot in the draft's Top 10."

The skills, intelligence, and abilities to perform at an elite level on the football field. Coupled with the ability to play as a big time cornerback who can shut down a receiver, and at the same time be moved over to Safety (and understands the position) is something that could prove valuable, especially on a team where injuries seem to bring us down 2 levels every year. That type of a player boosts depth and potential on both positions, and could start game 1 of the new season.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I think there is alot of good players coming out of college this year. I don't see any hall of fame superstars coming out. I would love to see Rams trade Some Players Pisa, Benett, Holt , Little, Wroten & Even Pace for draft picks in any round. That would make it easier to move up in the Draft. I would love to get more picks in earlier rounds. I still like Taking "C" A. Mack better than a LB if Rams move up. I think you can find a very good LB in later rounds Scott Mckillop, Josh Mauga & Jasper Brinkley. I read a couple of web-sites that say A. Mack is the best Center prospect to come out in a long time.
    I still say Rams also trade down for more picks. The more picks u get by trading down makes it easier to trade up.

AV did a post about getting peppers for some players it was great. Make cap room by getting rid of the older high priced players.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree UK, someone that we want, be it a center like Unger or Mack(which is what gets my vote for round 2), or a LB like Laurinaitus will be there at our spot at the top of the second round. I don't mention Britton as I think we should grab Monroe with #2 unless we decide we don't need a new OT before round 4-5, meaning we got one in FA.

Now, if there's someone whom we figure we can't live without(don't ask me who) that is looking like he won't make it down to our selection, I could see moving up, but moving up costs something. I'd much rather just take BPA at all of our spots unless we feel we can trade down, but that's for another thread. Any extra picks that we get by trades should then be used to replace the departed player with a younger, cheaper version.