Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Forget Crabtree... the real "wild card" for the Rams is:

To all those who want a QB at #2, no way is that going to happen. Stafford/Sanchez will be gone at #1 to Detroit and unless the other one of them falls to #34 (where I do believe the value will be much too good to pass up) we are not taking a QB in the first four rounds of this draft. Now, unless we trade down to anywhere from picks 8-16 and take one of them there while acquiring extra draft picks, I wouldn't be against that but it is highly unlikely.

Looks like noo QB of the future this season, just a bench warmer to fill in Trent Green's void when we cut him. Next year doesn't look promising either however. Unless we somehow manage to get worse, we won't have a shot at Sam Bradford and I am not a fan of Colt McCoy at all. What other QBs would be available next year that are 1st round talent?

And please, I don't want to see the name Tim Tebow anywhere in this thread.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-14-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Why not draft Crabtree. That way Seahags don't get him.You can kill two birds with one stone.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

As of now, I'm not convinced Sanchez is a top 5 pick player with the potential to start from day one. Come draft day, however, that could change. First of all, Sanchez has only started a year at the college level. The positive in that is USC's offense is NFL-like, not a spread offense. So, If Mark can prove through the combine and workouts he's ready to start at the next level, then I'll consider him. I would not draft him to groom over the years with the 2nd pick, because our cap would take a huge hit if we did so.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I usually agree with AV, BUT I don't even think Sanchez will be a good NFL QB. I just don't think the kid has what it takes in my opinion. He plays for USC which probably has more NFL calibur players on both sides of the ball than any college team and the guy just doesnt stand out for me. Their defense gives them so many chanes to score because they are so good. He had a great game over an over rated Penn State team. Just don't think the kid will amount to anything in the NFL.
    Just Fix It

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Why not draft Crabtree. That way Seahags don't get him.You can kill two birds with one stone.
    This is either the best unintentional pun I've ever heard or you're out of your mind with Crabtree.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    ...is it possible, then, that those two birds are in a way living in a Crabtree?

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Okay... let's say that I'm overestimating Sanchez's draft status (though, with Bradford deciding to return to Oklahoma, I'm more convinced than ever that he'll go Top 10). If the Rams take, say, Andre Smith (still my choice, by the way, at least until Sanchez works out for scouts), and Sanchez is still there in the late first round...

Do you trade up to get him? (I would.)

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay... let's say that I'm overestimating Sanchez's draft status (though, with Bradford deciding to return to Oklahoma, I'm more convinced than ever that he'll go Top 10). If the Rams take, say, Andre Smith (still my choice, by the way, at least until Sanchez works out for scouts), and Sanchez is still there in the late first round...

It depends on what we're giving up. I'd rather not give up draft picks for him, and if possible I'd like to keep Holt one more year to mentor the younger receivers.

Dumping Bulger's out of the question-Sanchez would not be ready to start if picked.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Well I think that Sanchez made the best financial decision for him today; however, I definitely believe he should have stayed at USC for his senior year. In a perfect world, I'd have the Rams get the top WR/RB player in this years draft to give Bulger another weapon, and fill up the o-line in free agency and with a 2nd round pick. Then depending on what Sanchez did this in '09 then take a look at him, as the 2010 draft seems like its going to have more depth than this years. As it is though, I still have definite prefrence for the Rams to take Crabtree #2 if he runs a 4.42 or faster.

Just because Sanchez is coming out early, doesn't change anything in how I feel the Rams should plan for the draft. If the front office does indeed want a back-up...wouldn't the best way to trade for a back-up that has one or two yrs in the league already. David Booty, Colt brennin and others come to mind...though Minn, and Wash will prob. want more for them than we'd be willing to give up...but there's other options at getting a back-up than drafting a rookie this yr. Heck, at this point I wouldn't mind having Troy Smith as a back-up personally.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I think we could consider trading up to get Sanchez in the end of the first round, but if we're going that direction, I would rather just use that end of the first round pick on Alex Mack, Max Unger, maybe Brandon Spikes, or a player that will drop from the mid first round to the late first round. (Ex. Vontae Davis, James Laurainaitis, who knows.)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Sanchez is going either #1 or #3 in this draft with bradford staying

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I'd rather see the Painter taken later in the draft. I think he has the best ARM of any QB in the draft this year. I realize it means I'd have to watch Bulger another year, but let him learn on the sidelines and give, what will hopefully be, a young upgraded line a year to play together and mesh a bit.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You know, I'm not going to say that I necessarily want the Rams to take Sanchez, and I certainly would not go so far as to predict that they will take him, but you have to admit...

Not such a crazy thought any more, is it?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It was a bold prediction at the time, AV, and it's come true. Many teams are reportedly rating Sanchez above Stafford, especially when it comes to being able to start right away.

However, if the Rams selected him, it would give me my first reason to doubt the new regime. Not that I have a ton of faith in Bulger (I'm 50/50 on him), but tying that much money up in one position would be absolutely insane for a team that's rebuilding. It would severely hinder the chance for the Rams to build up the roster at other positions which have much bigger question marks than the QB position.

QRAM24 is offline Registered User

Right now we need a safe reliable pick and there are just to many intangibles at the QB position. I agree that we do need a QB (Bulger scared in the pocket and Boller is not proven anything yet) but this is not the year. Either get an elite lineman and give Bulger some of his swagger back, because WHEN he trusts his line he is one of the more accurate QB's in the league. Or draft Curry and build up the middle of our defense which was horrific last year. If the Rams draft a bust with the #2 pick this year it will set the team back even further and we cannot afford that.
    Also taking Sanchez will not make an impact this year. I do not see him as someone who can come in like Matt Ryan did last year and take control of his team week 1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast