Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

[FoxSports] Mock Draft: Bush goes No. 1

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5329722

Mock Draft: Bush goes No. 1

Pete Fiutak / CollegeFootballNews.com
    Posted: 14 hours ago

It might be silly to speculate so early, but it's still fun. Here's an early Fearless Prediction of the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush, RB USC
    New head coach Gary Kubiak was interested in Vince Young, but the management still believes in David Carr. The two sides have agreed to a contract extension making Bush to the Texans almost a foregone conclusion. The USC speed-burner gives the Texans the best chance to improve right now.

2. New Orleans Saints - Matt Leinart, QB USC
    This is a franchise in need of stability and a sure-thing. Leinart provides both.

3. Tennessee Titans - Vince Young, QB Texas
    The situation is almost too perfect. His mentor Steve McNair comes back for one more year giving offensive coordinator Norm Chow a season to work on Young's mechanics. New Orleans is going to think long and hard about the possibilities of taking the Longhorn star.

4. New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia
    They desperately want a young, non-Chad Pennington quarterback to build around, but the big two won't slide. Expect this to be the hot spot for trade talks.

5. Green Bay Packers - LenDale White, RB USC
    Do you honestly believe the Packers are going to pin the hopes of their running game on Sam Gado? DeAngelo Williams will be tempting, but White provides more power.

6. Oakland Raiders - Mario Williams, DE NC State
    Al Davis would love to take A.J. Hawk here, but Williams will be far too good to pass up.

7. San Francisco ***** - Michael Huff, DB Texas
    Huff solves a lot of problems for the porous Niner secondary. He'll start out at cornerback out of need, but he'll eventually be a star at safety.

8. Buffalo Bills - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State
    His combine numbers will be off the charts and might even end up in the top five. Buffalo won't stay here. It needs offensive line help and will move down to get it.

9. Detroit Lions - Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
    Joey Harrington might become a Jet. Detroit needs someone to get the ball to all the great receiving talent, and while Cutler might not be anything special, he's an upgrade over the current situation.

10. Arizona Cardinals - Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
    Like Buffalo, don't be shocked if Arizona trades down to load up on offensive linemen, or tries to move up to get Ferguson. J.J. Arrington and Marcel Shipp aren't the answer for the running game so Maroney, Williams, or if available, White, is the need pick. If Cutler falls, he's going here.

11. St. Louis Rams - Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
    Greenway will be way too strong a prospect after the combines to fall any further.
    :bling:

12. Cleveland Browns - Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon
    While not a need pick, head coach Romeo Crenel and his staff would love to have the best tackle in the draft fall this far. Wait and see how Kellen Winslow is progressing; Maryland's Vernon Davis might be a need pick.

13. Baltimore Ravens - DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
    Will combine with Mark Clayton and Todd Heap to give Kyle Boller a fearsome array of weapons. Maroney and White could go here.

14. Philadelphia Eagles - Jimmy Williams, CB/S Virginia Tech
    The Eagles will like Williams' versatility in the secondary, but will eventually groom him for safety.

15. Atlanta Falcons - Winston Justice, OT USC
    Not a need, but the athletic tackle will have a hard time falling out of the top 15.

16. Miami Dolphins - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
    The possibilities of a pass-rushing tandem of Jason Taylor and Kiwanuka, even though he needs work, will be too fantastic to pass up.

17. Minnesota Vikings - Vernon Davis, TE Maryland
    The Vikings need more offensive weapons to help start putting points back on the board.

18. Dallas Cowboys - Santonio Holmes, WR Ohio State
    In a horrible draft for receivers, Holmes will stand out. Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn are getting old.

19. San Diego Chargers - Brodrick Bunkley, DT Florida State
    Paired with Shawne Merriman, San Diego will have the makings of a scary good young line.

20. Kansas City Chiefs - Kamerion Wimbley, DE Florida State
    The Chiefs need a receiver, but there won't be a worthy one available. More defensive playmakers are always needed around KC.

21. New England Patriots - Tamba Hali, DE Penn State
    His stock shot up even more after Senior Bowl week. The Patriots could stand to get a little younger up front.

22. Denver Broncos (from Washington) - Chad Jackson, WR Florida
    Rod Smith doesn't have too much longer to go and Ashley Lelie can't seem to become a true No. 1.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Eric Winston, OT Miami (FL)
    While he's not a sure-thing, he's a need pick for the Bucs.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
    USC's Dominique Byrd could go here to give fellow Trojan Carson Palmer another great weapon. Cincinnati badly needs a tight end.

25. New York Giants - DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
    He fits. He's a rock solid prospect with great leadership skills.

26. Chicago Bears - Tye Hill, CB Clemson
    The Bears would love to move Charles Tillman to safety. Steve Smith and Carolina showed how much the Bears need a shut-down corner.

27. Carolina Panthers - Dominique Byrd, TE USC
    After impressing the scouts, Byrd is sure to go somewhere late in round one. Carolina could use another weapon to take the heat off Steve Smith.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars - John McCargo, DT NC State
    Jacksonville needs more strength up front and could go McCargo, LSU Claude Wroten, or Miami's Orien Harris.

29. Denver Broncos - Leonard Pope, TE Georgia
    After going after a wide receiver with its first pick, Denver will get a big, young tight end who doesn't necessarily fit its style, but will be too intriguing to pass up.

30. Indianapolis Colts - Derek Hagan, WR Arizona State
    The Colts will re-sign Reggie Wayne, and although Hagan was mediocre in Senior Bowl practices, he provides a good young prospect for Peyton Manning to work with.

31. Seattle Seahawks - Thomas Howard, LB UTEP
    A physical freak of nature, Howard allows the Seattle coaching staff a lot of flexibility providing more size to the linebacking corps.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ernie Sims, LB Florida State
    A corner like Ashton Youboty or Kelly Jennings would be nice, but you can never have too many speedy linebackers in the 3-4. Sims will run too well to fall out of the first round.

RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: [FoxSports] Mock Draft: Bush goes No. 1

Vernon Davis wont fall past pick #11 no matter who else is available
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

8. Buffalo Bills - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State
    His combine numbers will be off the charts and might even end up in the top five. Buffalo won't stay here. It needs offensive line help and will move down to get it.
    It's a good thing they're suggesting Buffalo trades out of this spot.

10. Arizona Cardinals - Laurence Maroney, RB Minnesota
    Like Buffalo, don't be shocked if Arizona trades down to load up on offensive linemen, or tries to move up to get Ferguson. J.J. Arrington and Marcel Shipp aren't the answer for the running game so Maroney, Williams, or if available, White, is the need pick. If Cutler falls, he's going here.
    Wow, don't like this pick at all. I'd take DeAngelo over Laurence any day of the week and twice on the weekend.

11. St. Louis Rams - Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
    Greenway will be way too strong a prospect after the combines to fall any further.
    :bling:
    I have no problem going Greenway if Huff is off the board.

15. Atlanta Falcons - Winston Justice, OT USC
    Not a need, but the athletic tackle will have a hard time falling out of the top 15.
    Not a great first round pick for the Falcons.

16. Miami Dolphins - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
    The possibilities of a pass-rushing tandem of Jason Taylor and Kiwanuka, even though he needs work, will be too fantastic to pass up.
    Again, poor choice. The Dolphins already drafted Matt Roth to play opposite of Jason Taylor as the future of the DE position.

21. New England Patriots - Tamba Hali, DE Penn State
    His stock shot up even more after Senior Bowl week. The Patriots could stand to get a little younger up front.
    Really doubt Hali falls this far.

27. Carolina Panthers - Dominique Byrd, TE USC
    After impressing the scouts, Byrd is sure to go somewhere late in round one. Carolina could use another weapon to take the heat off Steve Smith.
    Would be surprised at this point to not only see Byrd in the first round, but see him go before Pope.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars - John McCargo, DT NC State
    Jacksonville needs more strength up front and could go McCargo, LSU Claude Wroten, or Miami's Orien Harris.
    ....in the first round? LOL

30. Indianapolis Colts - Derek Hagan, WR Arizona State
    The Colts will re-sign Reggie Wayne, and although Hagan was mediocre in Senior Bowl practices, he provides a good young prospect for Peyton Manning to work with.
    Colts have bigger needs than a first round WR!

32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Ernie Sims, LB Florida State
    A corner like Ashton Youboty or Kelly Jennings would be nice, but you can never have too many speedy linebackers in the 3-4. Sims will run too well to fall out of the first round.
    You can, though, have too many speedy linebackers that have the bodies of SS's. Sims is not a good fit in Pittsburgh, IMO.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-16-2006 at 11:58 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I'll tell what Nick, every mock I've seen so far (Yours, Kipers, even Ramsfan16) makes me hope like heck that we can trade with Denver for both of their number ones (#22 & #29). I mean have you checked out the talent that is most likely going to be there at those spots? I'm convinced we would score two immediate starters if we picked wisely. Granted, Denver is probably thinking the same thing; but I am hoping they fall in love with some prospect (Cutler?) and make an emotional trade that I believe would benefit us greatly.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Last edited by RAMarkable; -02-17-2006 at 08:13 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    I'll tell what Nick, every mock I've seen so far (Yours, Kipers, even Ramsfan16) makes me hope like heck that we can trade with Denver for both of their number ones (#22 & #29). I mean have you checked out the talent that is most likely going to be there at those spots? I'm convinced we would score two immediate starters if we picked wisely. Granted, Denver is probably thinking the same thing; but I am hoping they fall in love with some prospect (Cutler?) and make an emotional trade that I believe would benefit us greatly.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Also like the idea!
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable

WHAT SAY YE?
    I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that. The key is, does Denver want to trade up? They're facing some tough decisions regarding the cap, and may want to restock a bit with their draft. If that's the case, they'd probably keep those two selections.

That said, if we trade down, there are a number of very good players we could acquire. A guy like DeMeco Ryans might still be available at that #22 spot, and that'd be a great value spot to grab him. Or you could hold off and wait until the 29th pick and grab someone like Thomas Howard, Ernie Sims, or Bobby Carpenter.

You could also grab a cornerback, and if Tye Hill is there, I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat. Also consider that you could grab one of the top three tight ends. Maybe not Vernon Davis, but you'd likely still be able to get Pope or Lewis.

What a possibility there of being able to grab DeMeco and then possibly Pope or Lewis. From everything that I excpect to happen though, we're going to see a serious drop in DeMeco's stock. I expect him to fall to the early part of the second. It's more like a hope actually. I dont see Denver trading, and I really expect for Linehan to grab the TE that will fit his offense perfectly (Vernon Davis) If everything works out like I think it will, DeMeco Ryans might be there at #11 in the second round.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I saw leonard pope in a store in atlanta. He is a manchild of biblical magnitude. Big Big Dude. Large target for sure.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

The only problem that I see with Pope is that he is still very raw. He's a monster blocker though and a huge target. Thats the only place where I would put him behind Davis. Davis is polished and will make an impact from Day One. Pope is most likely going to need some time.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I could make a better mock draft by just picking names out of a hat and putting them in the order of how I picked 'em.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    The only problem that I see with Pope is that he is still very raw. He's a monster blocker though and a huge target. Thats the only place where I would put him behind Davis. Davis is polished and will make an impact from Day One. Pope is most likely going to need some time.
    I'm not so sure about that. Pope saw more playing time in college than Davis did. Pope played in 36 games and started 22 of them. Davis played in 35 and started in 17 or so. Davis also spent time at other positions lined up at FB and WR, so not all of his time was dedicated to the tight end position. I think if either of them is a bit raw, it's Davis. Pope probably has mastered the position more than Davis, but Davis is better in the physical skills department (except height).

Well the thing I saw with Pope is that he is raw in his route running. The receiving part of the TE position is where I see him as raw. He is a monster blocker. He's a pure beast when it comes to paving paths for the RB.

I rate Davis higher and more polished because he is smoother when it comes to route running and catching the football. Either one would be a great addition to the team though. I also love the fact that Davis lined up at FB and WR. I have spent time at FB and WR and it really helped me develop better skills in run blocking and route running.

I dunno. I've never heard the critique that Pope is raw in his route running, nor have I seen it personally. I think he runs very good routes, and does an excellent job utilizing his size and position to find holes in zone coverages and exploit mismatches against defenders. I don't question that Davis is a better receiver, but I wouldn't say that Pope is raw or unpolished. He certainly has the leg up in blocking and size, but isn't as athletic.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    . You could also grab a cornerback, and if Tye Hill is there, I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat
    Dont we have enough undersized corners?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    Dont we have enough undersized corners?
    Do we have enough #1 corners on our roster? Do we have any? Besides, are we only going to go after corners of 6'2" or higher now? Despite a trend toward taller receivers, tall corners typically don't have the same success in the league. Anywhere between 5'11" and 6'1" is ideal size in my opinion. Hill misses that mark by an inch, but with his leaping ability it might not matter. It'd be nice if Hill could grow two inches, but it's certainly not going to make him a bad player in the pros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast