Thread: Free Agent QBs.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Free Agent QBs.

Aside from considering about drafting young QBs straight from college, what do you guys think about the FAs in 2010.

Good choices include Chad Pennington, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, etc.

IMO, I think Pennington would be the best choice for to get. Aside from the injuries he dealt with with the Jets and Dolphins. He's a west coast offense QB and I think he has potential to give us success if our O-line can be fired up and give the guy great protection.

ImOnFire15 is offline Registered User

Re: Free Agent QBs.

I'll take Vick or Pennington. I heard Campbell cant fit in WCO

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post

Good choices include Chad Pennington, Kyle Orton, Jason Campbell, etc.
    I'm probably alone in this but none of them seem any better of an option than just keeping Bulger on.

We already have to pay for Bulger so we might as well keep him, draft a qb and let the new guy and Null develop.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I'm probably alone in this but none of them seem any better of an option than just keeping Bulger on.

We already have to pay for Bulger so we might as well keep him, draft a qb and let the new guy and Null develop.
    I was thinking the same thing.

licketyblue is offline Registered User

I agree that is the best course.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't think Pennington brings much more to this team than Bulger does. Since Campbell wasn't the preferred choice for Jim Zorn's WCO in Washington, I wonder how effective he'd be in the Rams' WCO. And I don't think Orton leaves Denver.

As others have said, we already have Bulger on the roster and we'll have to count at least a good portion of his contract whether we keep him or not. I'd be tempted just to keep him and groom someone under him. But if there is no cap in 2010, the Rams may see that as a good time to jettison Marc's contract with little if any cap implications and go with someone else.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think Pennington brings much more to this team than Bulger does. Since Campbell wasn't the preferred choice for Jim Zorn's WCO in Washington, I wonder how effective he'd be in the Rams' WCO. And I don't think Orton leaves Denver.

As others have said, we already have Bulger on the roster and we'll have to count at least a good portion of his contract whether we keep him or not. I'd be tempted just to keep him and groom someone under him. But if there is no cap in 2010, the Rams may see that as a good time to jettison Marc's contract with little if any cap implications and go with someone else.
    I like Pennington but he has a hard time staying on the field. I'd pass on Campbell he doesn't impress me at all. So to make a long story short I agree that keeping Bulger around seems like our best option while grooming his replacement.

I also believe that SPAGS is going to surprise us all with alot more unpopular offseason moves. Will it be the QB position....???? Time will tell.

chiguy is offline Registered User

If the Rams don't bring in real competition for Bulger, they're going to have a revolt from the fans in my honest opinion. For a team struggling to sell tickets and that is up for sale, I'd be surprised if they just stuck with him.

That said, my preference is for them to bring in one of two types of people -- someone who might benefit from a change of scenery or a young guy who hasn't had much of an opportunity. Guys that might fit from the first category would be someone like David Carr (I thought we should've pursued him when he left Houston), who clearly had talent but no support. He's worth a flier in my book and is better than anyone on the roster. The second kind of guy would be someone like Kevin Kolb (though I don't like Kolb as a QB myself), though you'd have to give away a pick for someone like this.

Two other things:

1. Just say no to the Chad Penningtons of the world...we're a young team that is rebuilding, I see no reason to make a move inconsistent with that philosophy since we're more than just a QB away from being good.

2. Just say not to the Jason Cambpells of the world...he's gotten an opportunity and has been surrounded by some good players. I'd say the problem is he isn't good enough to be a starter, especially at this stage of his career.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Chad Pennington is one injury away from having his arm torn off, and after watching Campbell get absolutely murdered by the Cowboys, I don't think he has the ability to survive our offensive woes. I echo the sentiments of chiguy regarding Campbell.