viper is offline Registered User

Free Agent Safeties for Consideration

From Sporting News here is a list of both free safeties and strong safety free agents for consideration. Anything you can add about particular players would be appreciated.

You're DeSpags, do you target any of these players, plan on drafting your safety(s) or promote one of our current players?

It should be noted that some of these players may not be available do to the current status of unresolved CBA. Players that would normally be free agents after four years after they were drafted by their original team may be locked up for two additional years or until a new collective bargaining agreement is in place.

1. Eric Weddle, 26, Chargers. The team wants the Pro Bowler back badly, and for many reasons. He always has been a good tackler at 5-11, 200, and in the past two years he's developed into a big playmaker (two interception returns for touchdowns). At his age, we haven't seen his best yet.

2. Donte Whitner, 25, Bills. Buffalo is catching a break because without a new CBA, Whitner is restricted, and he was just offered a tender for the 2011 season. Although Whitner doesn't offer much against the pass, he's like an extra run-stopping linebacker (140 tackles in 2010).

3. Dawan Landry, 28, Ravens. Ed Reed gets the flash for the interceptions, but playing next to him Landry has been a steady strong safety, complementing what Reed. Durable at 6-0, 210, he'll remain a fine starter elsewhere.

4. Danieal Manning, 28, Bears. Manning thrived in his first year as a starter at free safety and doubled as an effective kickoff returner. He just rejected a three-year, $6 million deal to stay, and Chicago must hope the CBA again makes him a restricted free agent.

5. Michael Huff, 27, Raiders. It took a while for the seventh-overall pick of the 2006 draft to find his grove, but he enjoyed a bit of breakout with 94 tackles, four sacks and a second consecutive three-interception year. It will be tough for Oakland to bring him back because he'll draw plenty of interest.

Old guy for a young team
    Quintin Mikell, 30, Eagles. In eight seasons, he quietly has been an all-around producer, playing the run and pass equally well. More impressive is how he has become a leader on one of the league's most consistent defenses.

Rebound potential
    Gerald Sensabaugh, 28, Cowboys. Last season was a disappointment because of coverage lapses that led to some big pass plays. Still, his production -- 71 tackles, 10 passes defended, five interceptions, two sacks -- can't be ignored.

One-trick safety
    Bernard Pollard, 28, Texans. He's a name everyone knows after Tom Brady's knee injury in 2008, and in Houston the past two years he remained a relentless hitter. Although he has improved in coverage, he should be looked at more as a pure run-support player.

End of the line
    Bob Sanders, 30, Colts. Sanders had one spectacular season in 2007, but has played in only nine games since. At just 5-8 and 206 pounds, it's admirable the way he throws around his body to make plays. Even at a discounted price, you can't count on him to be healthy for even one game.

Free-agent safeties

Hamza Abdullah, 27, Arizona
    Husain Abdullah, 25, Minnesota*
    Gerald Alexander, 26, Carolina
    Jordan Babineaux, 28, Seattle
    Josh Barrett, 26, New England*
    Atari Bigby, 29, Green Bay
    C.C. Brown, 28, Detroit
    Courtney Brown, 27, N.Y. Giants
    Josh Bullocks, 28, Chicago
    Tyrone Carter, 34, San Diego
    Sean Considine, 28, Jacksonville
    Reed Doughty, 28, Washington
    Abram Elam, 29, Cleveland
    Hiram Eugene, 30, Oakland
    Eric Frampton, 27, Minnesota
    Aaron Francisco, 27, Indianapolis
    Matt Giordano, 28, New Orleans
    Dashon Goldson, 26, San Francisco*
    Deon Grant, 31, N.Y. Giants
    Ken Hamlin, 30, Indianapolis
    Roman Harper, 28, New Orleans
    Michael Huff, 27, Oakland
    Michael Johnson, 26, N.Y. Giants
    Dawan Landry, 28, Baltimore
    Michael Lewis, 30, St. Louis
    Bret Lockett, 24, New England*
    Corey Lynch, 25, Tampa Bay*
    Danieal Manning, 28, Chicago
    Brandon McGowan, 27, New England
    Jon McGraw, 31, Kansas City
    Quintin Mikell, 30, Philadelphia
    Lawyer Milloy, 37, Seattle
    Ryan Mundy, 26, Pittsburgh*
    Chinedum Ndukwe, 25, Cincinnati
    Donnie Nickey, 30, Tennessee
    Paul Oliver, 26, San Diego
    Jarrad Page, 26, New England
    Charlie Peprah, 28, Green Bay
    Sabby Piscitelli, 27, Cleveland
    Bernard Pollard, 26, Houston
    Brodney Pool, 26, N.Y. Jets
    Pierson Prioleau, 33, New Orleans
    Chris Reis, 27, New Orleans
    Bob Sanders, 30, Indianapolis
    Gerald Sensabaugh, 27, Dallas
    Darren Sharper, 35, New Orleans
    Eric Smith, 27, N.Y. Jets
    Matt Ware, 28, Arizona
    Pat Watkins, 28, San Diego
    Eric Weddle, 26, San Diego
    John Wendling, 27, Detroit
    Donte Whitner, 25, Buffalo
    Roy Williams, 30, Cincinnati
    Eugene Wilson, 30, Houston
    George Wilson, 29, Buffalo
    Gibril Wilson, 29, Cincinnati
    Usama Young, 25, New Orleans

* - restricted free agent
    Last edited by viper; -03-04-2011 at 11:22 AM.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Free Agent Safeties for Consideration

weddle would make atogwe a distant memory.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Weddle is the only real replacement, and I would still prefer atogwe

everything else is a downgrade

I think Robert Sands may be our second round pick though. Devaney said he was drouling over someone at safety in the draft and Sans was the only one we interviewed. BTW, Sands is my favorite prospect too.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Lawyer malloy all the way that guys still got ten years left.

LARAM is offline Registered User

I'm all about Sands as well. It would be like a Safety with the size of Randy Moss running around in our backfield. Someone who who could jump as high as any WR in the league, picking off QB's all day long. He's also a solid tackler

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

No need to worry about Sanders, he signed a one year deal with the Chargers.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

In spags system i could see all but Manning and Whitner playing at the same level or higher. Safeties are enforcers in this system and must be versatile. Landry and Huff are young versatile and most importantly for this system physical. They also can play both strong and free safety which is verry important to Spags so they would top my list.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, I hope that we ALL see that now Safety is a CRITICAL need, above everything else in my mind, as we just lost one of the best defenders on the team rather than even just a starter. As long as we re-sign Clayton, WR doesn't even compare to our need at safety now. We need to be in the market now for two safeties, and cannot deal with less than one. Pretty much, we need to snap one of those top five, with my preference towards Landry and Weddle.

Other safeties that I would target would be Atari Bigby, Brodney Pool, Jarrad Page and Aaron Franscico, with the last two as assuming that Indy and NE draft well and they can be very effective starters.

Another option, in my opinion, would be if one of the top corners drop in the first round(Peterson or more likely Amukamara, which is better, as I see him a huge lockdown corner), would be to possibly convert Bartell to free safety(as he was a corner/FS hybrid coming into the NFL). My only problem would be that Bartell is currently our best cover guy, and moving him to safety would mean he gets less man coverage assignments.
    I believe!

jmax12 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    Weddle is the only real replacement, and I would still prefer atogwe

everything else is a downgrade

I think Robert Sands may be our second round pick though. Devaney said he was drouling over someone at safety in the draft and Sans was the only one we interviewed. BTW, Sands is my favorite prospect too.
    i agree completely with this, and i am also a really big fan of sands and i hope we get the opportunity to draft him.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

This is one area of the team where I have total faith in DeSpags to find a replacement for Otogwe. Spags is especially adept at finding good players through the draft since he has been in St.Louis or plugging an existing player on the roster into the breach. I have faith in them with the Otogwe release and believe we wont miss a beat. HOPEFULLY,FINGERS CROSSED.
    WR is another matter entirely ????
    GO RAMS