Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents ?

richtree is offline Registered User

Free Agents ?

with so many free agents still out there are the rams looking at any ? ? ?

takeo spikes ?

Jerimaha Trotter ?

any news ?

I know we still have some cash open

what's the 411 ? ?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Free Agents ?

Those guys don't really interest me (unless they come with time machines).

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm sure we're looking for some depth. But thats as far as it goes.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We should be looking for another starting safety to go with O.J. and a decent starting C.

That's what I don't get. The coaching staff bellyached about the O line all year last year and what was the biggest signing in the offseason? A kicker.

If this O line gets hurt again this year it's no ones fault but Linehan's when it comes to the record.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    That's what I don't get. The coaching staff bellyached about the O line all year last year and what was the biggest signing in the offseason? A kicker.
    Jacob Bell, six-year, $36 million. Immediate starter at left guard. Ring a bell?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yes Nick, that rang a "Bell", however that's just one guy. One position. We were injured everywhere and only signed one O lineman. One.

Does that ring a bell?

Yes Nick, that rang a "Bell", however that's just one guy. One position. We were injured everywhere and only signed one O lineman. One.

Does that ring a bell?
    Which is probably why we drafted two guys, both of whom were very good value where we selected them.

We currently have four centers on the roster (five if you count Setterstrom should he move over), five offensive guards (again, four if Setterstrom moves to center), and seven offensive tackles. That's sixteen offensive linemen, which could increase to eighteen if Steussie and McCollum are brought back at some point.

Who are the other free agent offensive linemen you would have signed?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here are some moves I would look into:

1. Try to trade for Bobby Carpenter (as mentioned in another thread).

2. Bring in Byron Leftwich for a tryout

3. Wait for the June 1 cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Which is probably why we drafted two guys, both of whom were very good value where we selected them.

We currently have four centers on the roster (five if you count Setterstrom should he move over), five offensive guards (again, four if Setterstrom moves to center), and seven offensive tackles. That's sixteen offensive linemen, which could increase to eighteen if Steussie and McCollum are brought back at some point.

Who are the other free agent offensive linemen you would have signed?
    I would have signed Faneca also. Don't tell me the Rams care about spending money. Look what they gave Bennett.

I would have signed Faneca also. Don't tell me the Rams care about spending money. Look what they gave Bennett.
    Well then what can I tell you? Spending $76 million this offseason on two offensive lineman was not going to happen, sorry. I would have liked to see them sign a center like Wiegmann, but they brought last year's starter back and sound as if they'll give him competition. It really was not a great pool of offensive line talent, and I suspect that will become the norm as long as team's have the cap room to hold on to their linemen either with new contracts or tags.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Caring and capability are two very different things, tx. This ain't MLB, the cap is what it is.

They signed Bell. They drafted two good value linemen. And of course, the addition of several players that went down to injury last year. Funny thing about the human body.......at the age most of these gentlemen are, it tends to heal.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

To go along with what Nick and Hub said, Tx, Bennett filled and continues to fill a need. He's a former number one receiver who last year served as an injury guard and as a bad slot receiver because he's not, never has been, and never will be a good slot receiver. This year he's a starter and should be used with greater effectiveness, as you still have to double Holt. His contract is for a starter and that's what he is now. The Rams do care about spending money and hopefully now Bennett's contract will pay off.

As for Faneca, he got a contract that he'll never live up to in Jersey, and we could not afford to pay, unless you'd rather see some more salary cap cuts. Leonard Little comes to mind. Faneca was the most accomplished guard on the market, and Bell was the second. Not to mention, they both play the same position, so if we got them both, Bell would have to move to RG. Of course, this would then move two of last year starters into backup roles, where we have a couple perfectly fine guards, it's a center that we could use. As Nick said, Weigmann would have been very handy in helping everyone learn the new system.

Wanting Faneca in my mind is kind of like the beginning of this thread asking if we should pursue Takeo Spikes or Jeremiah Trotter. They're flashy names that win press conferences, not necessarily games. Personally, I'm rather happy that we didn't get Faneca, as I expect Bell to be much more worth his contract in the future than Faneca will be.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

We should be looking for another starting safety to go with O.J. and a decent starting C.

If this O line gets hurt again this year it's no ones fault but Linehan's when it comes to the record.

TX,

You seem to be unhappy with the Rams offensive line and I really do no understand why you and several others feel this way?

1st of all the Rams have 2 first round picks at TACKLES and though some are unhappy with Barron he has shown the potential to play RT/LT well. You have Pace who has been injury prone as of late but without question when healthy is one of the best....

Then... the Rams Richie who was projected as a 1st round lineman who was taken in the 3rd round. Then .... the Rams picked up Bell in free agency..... Do not forget the Rams p/u lineman in last years draft to go along with some veterans on the team.... Finally, the Rams selected some more talent in this years draft. Probably no starting talent but will add depth and can develop into future starters.

Not sure what more you could want unless you wanted the Rams to pass on Long and reach for another Tackle with the second pick in the draft.

The Rams have enough talent on the Offensive Line what they need more than anything is time working together to develop a cohesive unit.

Some of the best NFL offensive lines did not and I repeat did not have the most individually talented lineman but you put them together as a unit and thats why football is consider a team sport....

GO Rams

DD, I understand all those points and maybe I'm just frustrated with how the selections have panned out.....just like our DT picks panned out. I'm not sold on Incognito yet, he seems to be injury prone. Barron has talent but it just seems like his heart isn't into it.

It just seems to me that if it isn't the front office missing on DT selections, they whiff on the secondary or they swing and miss on the O line. I'm not necessarily down on the players and the coaching staff as much as I just don't understand the Front Office out there in Earth City.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are some moves I would look into:

1. Try to trade for Bobby Carpenter (as mentioned in another thread).

2. Bring in Byron Leftwich for a tryout

3. Wait for the June 1 cuts.
    That's the bell that's ringing loud & clear for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast