Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Agents ?

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Free Agents ?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    DD, I understand all those points and maybe I'm just frustrated with how the selections have panned out.....just like our DT picks panned out. I'm not sold on Incognito yet, he seems to be injury prone. Barron has talent but it just seems like his heart isn't into it.

It just seems to me that if it isn't the front office missing on DT selections, they whiff on the secondary or they swing and miss on the O line. I'm not necessarily down on the players and the coaching staff as much as I just don't understand the Front Office out there in Earth City.
    Why not focus on the glass half full and what the Rams have done well.

We drafted S. Jackson, T. Holt, O. Pace, O.J., Little, and A.C, soon to be added on this list will be C. LOng and Avery.....

These guys have and will continue to play well for the Rams.

We have picked up Witherspoon, F. Brown, Bulger, Brown, Draft, and Bell.... These guys should continue to play a major role for the Rams....

I agree it can be frustrating looking at the player we RAM fans had high expectation for. However, the game is full of hits and miss. Lets hope after this year the Rams make more hits than misses....

GO RAMS

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Am I the only one that feels that mabye we should bring in someone like Spikes. With our lack of players at linebacker I think that we could use someone of his caliber. Espically if we can get him for cheap, why not sign him for some depth? Even if he doesn't play often, he can share his experience.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    Am I the only one that feels that mabye we should bring in someone like Spikes. With our lack of players at linebacker I think that we could use someone of his caliber. Espically if we can get him for cheap, why not sign him for some depth? Even if he doesn't play often, he can share his experience.
    If he were actually healthy, maybe.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here are some moves I would look into:

1. Try to trade for Bobby Carpenter (as mentioned in another thread).

2. Bring in Byron Leftwich for a tryout

3. Wait for the June 1 cuts.
    Hey avenger, havent been here awhile, wondering what are the chances we could land Carpenter? Whats the difference between him and Chillar? And why would we want to try out Byron?

The Special One is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    And why would we want to try out Byron?
    Trent appears to be showing signs of brain damage.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Dr, the problem with Spikes isn't that he doesn't have the experience and knowledge of the position or even that he couldn't play Sam for us, it's the fact that he's past his prime and doubtful he could play even two downs and make it through the season healthy. Having been in Rochester for college from '02 to '07, I know what a good linebacker he is, but no one is jumping on him, and we're not the only linebacker needy team by far. He'll catch onto a team by training camp, but he's not worth jumping for at this point.

As for Leftwich, the reason why it would make sense to try him out is because 9 months ago, he was a starting QB in this league, is still relatively young, and since he's still looking for a job, should come pretty cheap.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Are the June 1st cuts even going to produce anyone great? I havent really heard of any potential big names yet.

Did free agency produce anyone great? Sorry Beers, the biggest name who was a good candidate for June 1 was Shaun Alexander and his big contract, but he's already cut. Don't expect anyone who'll do more than be a backup.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

What about a guy like Jeremy Newberry, a center with tons of experience, could start a year or 2. And to those who just hate seeing Chavous out there, why not pick up a Mike Doss, he was a starter for Minnisota. OR, instead of having Antonio behind Jax's, lets replace him with Michael (Pittman).? Sounds reasonable...? I would like to see Byron, but the Rams seem sold on Trent. just look at the money he got.

If we didn't go after Weigman, I doubt we'll go after Newberry, but it is the one question mark on the O line. Chavous was a starter for Minnesota too... and that was BEFORE they were last against the pass. No on Doss for me. I doubt Michael Pittman would go for a vet minimum, which is what we'd need cap-wise, but hey, anything's possible. I'd still stick with Antonio just because the mileage is less on his body. Lastly, the Rams are committed to keeping three QB's on the roster this year, so as to prevent us from having to bring one up from the practice squad like last year. At this point, Leftwich would probably sign for the vet minimum which would certainly make him a value adder considering his experience and talent. The issue will just be building his confidence back up.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'd like to see some vet leadership how about Grady Jackson since we only have 1 true NT in Ryan. Michael Pittman would also be a nice back up

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Bulger, Green and Leftwich? We would need to carry a 4th qb on the roster. None of these guys can seem to stay healthy at this point.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Pat Kirwan had a nice Top 10 of FA's on NFL.com

Here's a look at the top 10 unrestricted free agents left on the market and how they could still help a team.

1. Daunte Culpepper, QB: On a long list of experienced veterans, quarterback trumps all other positions and Culpepper is the best still available. He is now a year removed from injuries that still had him limping around last year. The combination of his arm strength and game experience will make him a valuable backup and a guy who can step in and carry a team when injuries hit.
    2. Takeo Spikes, LB: Though probably on the down side of his career, Spikes is still a strong run defender who made 139 tackles last year in 14 games. He can also pressure the QB, is capable in coverage, though not as strong as he once was, and can be the leader of a defense, making all the defensive calls. If he can find a spot as an inside backer with limited coverage responsibilities he can still thrive in the NFL.
    3. Shaun Alexander, RB: While he's not an every down back any more, Alexander still presents a good second option for a club. Going into a season knowing he doesn't have to be the focus of an attack may give the veteran a fresh start.
    4. Koren Robinson, WR: Just released by the Packers and young enough to still have a good career. He has return skills as well as being a big target. A team like Dallas should take a look at him
    5. John Carney, PK: Carney is better than a few kickers who already have jobs. He has nearly 20 years in the league, bringing valuable experience to the table. He's not that far removed from his stellar 2006 season with the Saints when he was 23-25 on field goal attempts (92 percent) and put up 115 points.
    6. Jeremy Newberry, C: Eleven years in the trenches and numerous knee injuries have taken their toll on Newberry, but he is a tough, physical mauler as a run blocker. He plays with a mean streak, but is also very technically sound. He can make all the line calls and could fill an important leadership role inside for a young O-line like the one the Chiefs are putting together in Kansas City.
    7. Kyle Brady, TE: Brady keeps getting work because he is very good at what he does. Heading into his 14th season, the former first-round pick may still be the best in-line blocker in the game. He's a big, physical end who really takes care of himself, which is why he has enjoyed such a long, productive career.
    8. Michael Pittman, RB: Pittman's value comes in his versatility. He can run with power, he understands protection schemes and blitz pickups, and he is a reliable receiver out of the backfield.
    9. Ron Dayne, RB: Dayne has proven he can excel in a zone scheme and will add valuable depth to any roster, especially in today's NFL when teams have found a need for more than one back to carry the load. He still makes sense in Houston.
    10. Mike Doss, S: Doss is at his best when playing close to the line of scrimmage, or when in deep zone coverage with the play in front of him. But he has starting experience in the NFL and can play any number of positions in a team's sub (nickel/dime) packages
    Last edited by HUbison; -05-14-2008 at 11:33 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Bulger, Green and Leftwich? We would need to carry a 4th qb on the roster. None of these guys can seem to stay healthy at this point.
    That's an interesting point, but three QBs going down in one year? Seems unlikely, but I wouldn't put it past us...

ram1906 is offline Registered User

I cant believe Leftwich is in any conversation of pick ups for the Rams. He has the SLOWEST release of any QB in the league. The Ram O is based on timing and anticipation, a slow release QB will not bode well for our team. I would be taking a strong look at T Spikes. Yes he is on the down hill of his career, but i think it trumps the uphill of Culberson. Last year , our D especially our outside LBs, stuck to O-linemen like fly paper. I remember many big runs i saw were our outside LBs were sealed or served with syrup and butter. We have solidified our front line, which is going to make our LBs more efficient. But with the inexperience and limited athletic ability outside of WW, we need help there now!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast