Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free Agents ?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Free Agents ?

Leftwich has his flaws, no doubt (that's why he's not currently on a roster), but he is 28 years old and has 46 career starts. In 2004 and 2005 he had 30 TDs and 15 interceptions in in 25 games played.

I'm not saying I want him to be our starter, but he'd be a HUGE upgrade at #3 over Brock Berlin, and could eventually be a #2.

Another FA who would be worth a look is Mike Doss.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    To go along with what Nick and Hub said, Tx, Bennett filled and continues to fill a need. He's a former number one receiver who last year served as an injury guard and as a bad slot receiver because he's not, never has been, and never will be a good slot receiver. This year he's a starter and should be used with greater effectiveness, as you still have to double Holt. His contract is for a starter and that's what he is now. The Rams do care about spending money and hopefully now Bennett's contract will pay off.

As for Faneca, he got a contract that he'll never live up to in Jersey, and we could not afford to pay, unless you'd rather see some more salary cap cuts. Leonard Little comes to mind. Faneca was the most accomplished guard on the market, and Bell was the second. Not to mention, they both play the same position, so if we got them both, Bell would have to move to RG. Of course, this would then move two of last year starters into backup roles, where we have a couple perfectly fine guards, it's a center that we could use. As Nick said, Weigmann would have been very handy in helping everyone learn the new system.

Wanting Faneca in my mind is kind of like the beginning of this thread asking if we should pursue Takeo Spikes or Jeremiah Trotter. They're flashy names that win press conferences, not necessarily games. Personally, I'm rather happy that we didn't get Faneca, as I expect Bell to be much more worth his contract in the future than Faneca will be.

Bennett? Fills a need? What frickin need does Bennett fill? He's worthless as a WR. Had one decent year in Tennessee then what? Then you rant on about how Faneca won't live up to his money? What about Bennett? He won't either. I'd rather overpay for an O lineman than to overpay for a WR.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

What frickin need does Bennett fill? He's worthless as a WR. Had one decent year in Tennessee then what?
    Little harsh, isn't it? He actually was quite productive in Norm Chow's run heavy offense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

He had one decent year. That's it. With that depleted WR corp he should have been the star WR and he couldn't do it. He was a waste of money for the Rams so far.

He's got a lot to work on this year to earn the money he's banking. He doesn't fill a need. We could get someone else to put Gatorade on the table every Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by tx
    He had one decent year. That's it. With that depleted WR corp he should have been the star WR and he couldn't do it.
    I'm sorry, tx, but that's just not the case. Even in a heavy run offense, that utilizes TEs more than WRs, he managed to lead his team in receiving each of his last 3 years in Nashville.

He's not Bruce.

I wouldn't have given him that contract.

He didn't play up to expectations.

And as bad as we don't want to hear the "excuse", injuries are simply reality. He is reportedly now healthy, so hopefully he steps up. But to say what he should have done and couldn't do is just not accurate.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

So it's ok to overpay for a WR but it's not ok to overpay for an O lineman. I get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    So it's ok to overpay for a WR but it's not ok to overpay for an O lineman. I get it now.
    What part of "I wouldn't have given him that contract" wasn't clear?

uhhhh.....I dunno know.....

richtree is offline Registered User

just say no to leftwhich....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123