Thread: Free Agents

zingers16 is offline Registered User

Free Agents

For everyone that has the Rams going out in free agency and picking up 5-6 players, when was the last time that the Rams ever were that active in free agency? I know they usually sign a couple people each year, but a lot of people seem to have us taking a couple decent names in free agency. I can't remember the last time that the Rams actually went out in free agency and spent a lot of money on a few key players.

Now, don't get me wrong, I could see the Rams picking up maybe one of Crowder/Birk/Willis/Butler because the new coaching staff wants changes, but do you really think they will spend money on a couple of them with there prices being driven up by other teams and the possible sale of the franchise?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Free Agents

I think alot of what you're asking depends on SPAGS. He has said in the past that he not only wants to build a winning team but he wants to build a consistent winning team. That leads me to believe the draft is key in his mind.
    Not so much the quick fix. That's not saying he won't look into the free agent market. For example:I think we can all agree we need an upgrade at the center position. I've read more than one article that basically said that it takes approximately 2 years for a rookie center to make an impact. So yes, I could see us going after a veteran center as far as free agency is concerned. That doesn't mean we still won't draft a center. But we do need a quick fix a that position.

Weddle is offline Registered User

I read that we only have about 8m cap room... this surely makes it difficult to be active in FA if we want to retain Atogwe & Bartell??

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Weddle View Post
    I read that we only have about 8m cap room... this surely makes it difficult to be active in FA if we want to retain Atogwe & Bartell??

that report didnt bring into account any players that will be cut..we should have atleast double that amount when it comes to it.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Our top 5 earners are Jackson, Bulger, Little, Pace and Holt. Those last three are either getting cut, renegotiating or traded. That will save considerably and will probably fund the resigning of OJ and Bartel.

This does probably preclude the Rams from the cap busters like Haynesworth, Suggs and Dansby. We just don't have that type of cap freedom.

I wonder if they'll be able to do something with Bennett and Trent Green. Those guys are being paid far in excess of their worth because of poor personnel decisions.

zingers16 is offline Registered User

[quote=RebelYell;273345]Our top 5 earners are Jackson, Bulger, Little, Pace and Holt. Those last three are either getting cut, renegotiating or traded. quote]

Where is this coming from. I don't think anything has been said about this. I agree that they should restructure somehow but you can't already figure that you are going to get this money.