Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eldfan is offline Registered User

Frustrated by free agency so far? Patience

by VanRam on Mar 5, 2010

Anyone thinking the St. Louis Rams would move as fast this year in free agency as they did last year is bound to be a little disappointed. I can only counsel patience.

Last year, the stars aligned a little better for the Rams in free agency. They had some prime targets that directly addressed important needs for the team. C Jason Brown was on the radar immediately, with the team setting up a meeting within 48 hours of the start of free agency. They worked out a deal with CB Ron Bartell, who was an unrestricted free agent, within a week. There was talk about signing SS James Butler in the early days of free agency too, but the team didn't reach a deal with him until two weeks into free agency.

This time around it's not so easy. None of the big names in FA to sign thus far, less than 24 hours in, would have been good fits for the Rams. Nate Burleson, not exactly the WR we're in need of. Did you see how much the Bears gave Julius Peppers? That wasn't realistic for the Rams.

Here's a pretty telling point from Mike Sando today: of the 43 unrestricted free agents with a Pro Bowl appearance, only one is younger than 29-years-old.

The hardest pill to swallow is the report that the Seahawks are bringing in Broncos WR Brandon Marshall for a visit. Marshall, a RFA, would cost a first round pick, if signed away from the Broncos. Seattle has two of those.

All is not lost. If you're starting to despair that A.J. Feeley might be the only roster move the Rams make, be patient. It's telling that the Rams had scheduled a visit with RB Darren Sproles during the brief window when it looked like he would be a free agent.

As for trades, I expect the Rams to at least explore some options via that route, but those take time to hammer out deals.

:ramlogo:

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Frustrated by free agency so far? Patience

I feel the Rams are doing exactly what they should be doing.

Hopefully they can pick up a quality TE without giving up a high draft pick.

Go Rams

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Profootballweekly has a list of the top 100 free agents in their opinion. If you go through that list and look at the number of players who are UNRESTRICTED, it's disgustingly pathetic how few there are.

One I'd offer a deal to is Leigh Bodden, CB. He's not a premier CB but he's what the Rams need.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Profootballweekly has a list of the top 100 free agents in their opinion. If you go through that list and look at the number of players who are UNRESTRICTED, it's disgustingly pathetic how few there are.

One I'd offer a deal to is Leigh Bodden, CB. He's not a premier CB but he's what the Rams need.
    Next year big free agency poll over 200.

Bodden would be a much needed addition.

Go Rams

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

I feel to be a team better then 8-8 in the NFL you need 2 or 3 guys on each side of the ball that are difference makers, stars, better then good, elite people how cause matchup problems etc.. Right now the Rams have one. SJ. Kevin Demoff had a chat recently saying all the right things about how the Rams will get better. Here is one quote about free agency " Our pro scouts Mike Williams, Ray Agnew and Brandon Schwab have been preparing for tonight all year, this is like Christmas Eve to them." Well it's Christmas and all I got was frickin AJ Feeley and I'm pissed. They prepared all year for AJ Feeley? Someone should be fired or someone is lying about getting better. We missed on a couple #1 WR's, a LB, DL. But I don't see us picking up any starting difference makers in free agency. Even if we got Sproles, he wasn't going to be a starter. Lets just say I've started to lose hope in the organization.

ludairv is offline Registered User

THIS IS TORTURE!!!! lol im sure they coookin somethin up tho...im think its most likey Safety or tight end...

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    I feel to be a team better then 8-8 in the NFL you need 2 or 3 guys on each side of the ball that are difference makers, stars, better then good, elite people how cause matchup problems etc.. Right now the Rams have one. SJ. Kevin Demoff had a chat recently saying all the right things about how the Rams will get better. Here is one quote about free agency " Our pro scouts Mike Williams, Ray Agnew and Brandon Schwab have been preparing for tonight all year, this is like Christmas Eve to them." Well it's Christmas and all I got was frickin AJ Feeley and I'm pissed. They prepared all year for AJ Feeley? Someone should be fired or someone is lying about getting better. We missed on a couple #1 WR's, a LB, DL. But I don't see us picking up any starting difference makers in free agency. Even if we got Sproles, he wasn't going to be a starter. Lets just say I've started to lose hope in the organization.
    IMO signing big difference makers in FA is more for the teams that are 1 or 2 players away from being contenders, the rams are closer to being 10 players away from being contenders. Antrell Rolle became the highest paid safety in history, is he really the best safety in the history of the NFL? It is way too expensive for the rams to try and fill all of their holes with big name free agents.

Even if we got peppers, dansby, and the two #1 WRs, how much of an impact would it have made? If its boldin and burleson then the former is 29 and would of cost the rams more than just money, and the latter is not a #1 IMO, but i digress... The rams need to build a strong foundation of players through the draft before they can go out and get any of those expensive free agents.

Go Rams

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Super Bowl winners are built through the draft, not free agency. Free agency is for teams who are 1 or 2 players away from completing the puzzle. We're certainly not that close yet. Our excitement will come on April 22-24. Hang in there fellow "Clanners"

Go Rams!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Super Bowl winners are built through the draft, not free agency. Free agency is for teams who are 1 or 2 players away from completing the puzzle. We're certainly not that close yet. Our excitement will come on April 22-24. Hang in there fellow "Clanners"

Go Rams!
    Amen I agree 100%, I say save the money and build the team the right way.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I didn't expect to do anything in free agency. Our fun will come during the draft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Blah, Blah, Blah. "The rams need to build a strong foundation of players through the draft before they can go out and get any of those expensive free agents." Says who? What if we get a star player in FA they kick us out of the draft. "Our excitement will come on April 22-24." Because we are the only team picking that day and it's so exciting to getting average players. Just thinking of the last few years."Free agency is for teams who are 1 or 2 players away from completing the puzzle. We're certainly not that close yet." Oh really, I must have missed that in the instructions. Don't make excuses for not getting a good player . Grow a set and dare to be better then below average.

sashadpb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I didn't expect to do anything in free agency. Our fun will come during the draft.
    We have too many holes to fill them on draft only.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Blah, Blah, Blah. "The rams need to build a strong foundation of players through the draft before they can go out and get any of those expensive free agents." Says who? What if we get a star player in FA they kick us out of the draft. "Our excitement will come on April 22-24." Because we are the only team picking that day and it's so exciting to getting average players. Just thinking of the last few years."Free agency is for teams who are 1 or 2 players away from completing the puzzle. We're certainly not that close yet." Oh really, I must have missed that in the instructions. Don't make excuses for not getting a good player . Grow a set and dare to be better then below average.
    you could just ask for a hug..

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

The way I look at it, the draft brings you the talent and stars, then when you have a good base and you're a team on the brink, big name FA's are likely to come to your team in the hopes of pushing it over the edge. In reality, you find the main pieces of your team in the draft and you grab a couple good role players with solid free agent signings.

The draft is the best way to go and picking up some young cheap talented free agents.

If buying up big name free agents is the path to winning in the NFL then why are the big spenders like the Deadskins almost always in the cellar of their division and teams like the Eagles always at the top who are not known to make big free agent moves other than TO and we all know how that worked out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast