Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gap Between Rookie and FA Contracts Mean We Must Redefine The Word "Reach"

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Gap Between Rookie and FA Contracts Mean We Must Redefine The Word "Reach"

Not only that av ppl r saying he not as good as players drafted in the top 10 before him like Calvin Johnson and fitz who aren't even in this draft so y compare?

Rambos is online now Registered User

AV when you say the Rams board then you are factoring Rams specific needs. Why would the Rams have Luck or RG3 as one and two when they are not needs.I agree with that, But that being said if the Rams needs happened to all be players that are not top ten graded talent (IMO) then they would all be a reach. The Rams would need to trade back to match the talent level of the player to where the pick will take place.

This hard thing to determine in my mind is what is the range? That is always going to be somewhat subjective depending on how the player being selected is viewed.

I will never forget when the Rams drafted in the second round 47 overall Donald Evans Winston-Salem State in 1987, Mel Kiper was at his all time best and said he did not even have him being drafted and had no information on him. Not sure what the Rams saw, but they surely Reached for him. By the way he played one year for the Rams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You presume that there is always a trade-back option available that is worth doing. That simply is not the case. Sometimes, you just have to make the pick.

I'm really beginning to wonder if certain people just respond to threads without reading the original post. By some of the responses, you would think that I said that no player is ever a reach which, of course, is NOT my argument.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If a team selects the 10th best player on its board over the 7th best, then that is a reach.

However, if the top player on the board happens to be a player (or a position) that the "experts" deem to be valued at a lower spot, then (assuming a trade down is not available) that player should nonetheless be taken, and should not be deemed a reach - PARTICULARLY GIVEN THE BARGAIN OF TODAY'S ROOKIE CONTRACTS.
    Ok .. took me a while, I get it, finally .. Agreed!

You presume that there is always a trade-back option available that is worth doing. That simply is not the case. Sometimes, you just have to make the pick.

I'm really beginning to wonder if certain people just respond to threads without reading the original post. By some of the responses, you would think that I said that no player is ever a reach which, of course, is NOT my argument.
    You can say it, Rambos did you even read my post... LOL

Looking at those numbers, is anyone still going to argue that Justin Blackmon is not "worth" the sixth pick in the draft?
    I don't don't think Blackmon was ever questioned as being worth a six round pick, do you? Some thought at two he was...

I'll go one step further, at that "market price," one could argue that a player like Michael Floyd is NOT a reach at No. 6 for a team like the Rams that really needs a WR. I'm not saying he's the BEST CHOICE at No. 6, but he's not, in my book, a clear "reach."
    In my book he is a reach at six, he comes a lot keeper now that the new agreement is in play and he's cheaper then FA receiver. But his talent is not a number 6 pick.. he would be a reach. The Rams would put need over the talent of other player still on the board IMO

So, at the end of the day, teams should take the BPA on their draft board, regardless of whether, in some abstract analysis, the player in question is deemed a "reach" by some.
    If the best player on THEIR board is not even close to the talent of the BPA or players available then I would say it's a reach.

Gap Between Rookie and FA Contracts Mean We Must Redefine The Word "Reach"
    You are looking at the compensation where I'm looking at the talent drop off...

I do think you are right when it comes to compensation in regard to reach, clearly the risk has gone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    In my book he is a reach at six, he comes a lot keeper now that the new agreement is in play and he's cheaper then FA receiver. But his talent is not a number 6 pick.. he would be a reach. The Rams would put need over the talent of other player still on the board IMO
    If you can show me where I said that there is a scenario where the Rams should take Floyd at pick No. 6 I'll give you one million dollars.

If you can show me where I said that there is a scenario where the Rams should take Floyd at pick No. 6 I'll give you one million dollars.
    I'll go one step further, at that "market price," one could argue that a player like Michael Floyd is NOT a reach at No. 6 for a team like the Rams that really needs a WR. I'm not saying he's the BEST CHOICE at No. 6, but he's not, in my book, a clear "reach."

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It really is remarkable how you continue to miss the point entirely. Clearly, you just want to argue.
    I've missed the point? I've essentially agreed with you and you think I'm arguing with you.

The last sentence in your original post and my original post are completely in agreement.

Per your own original statement, if Floyd is rated the #1 talent on the Rams board, the Rams should draft him at #6 if available. Regardless of where others have him ranked. Is that not a scenario where the Rams should take Floyd? We don't know where Floyd is ranked on their board so we can't exclude the possibility.

The #6 pick could be anyone. Floyd, Blackmon, a tackle, Claiborne, Richardson. It all depends upon their board and how they rank the talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Guess that "I'm not saying he's the BEST CHOICE" part really flew right past you, there.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Thanks for deleting my post AV. Real big of you. I guess you can't handle any criticism. I fail to see how my post broke any rules or was offensive in any way. Especially considering how personal criticisms that are blatantly rude stay in other threads on this forum.

You are also phrasing your arguments in a way so that you avoid taking responsibility for your own words and your own arguments. If you don't think Floyd or Reiff should be taken at 6 then you shouldn't be defending how their hypothetical position wouldn't be a reach if they were taken there.

You obviously remember what I said in my post since it bothered you enough to delete it. If you want to actually have a discussion like an adult you can defend your rationale and reasoning based on my questions and arguments. If you want to act like a child and delete anything that makes your posts or threads look bad you shouldn't start them in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Per your own original statement, if Floyd is rated the #1 talent on the Rams board, the Rams should draft him at #6 if available. Regardless of where others have him ranked.
    That's right. If Jeff Fisher, Les Snead and the Rams' scouting department have Floyd rated as the best player available at No. 6, they should take him, regardless of where others have him ranked.

Is that not a scenario where the Rams should take Floyd? We don't know where Floyd is ranked on their board so we can't exclude the possibility.
    Absolutely. Its just not a scenario in which I think the Rams could end up taking Floyd, as I have between 6-8 players rated above him (still working on my final draft board).

Guess that "I'm not saying he's the BEST CHOICE" part really flew right past you, there.
    Doesn't matter whether you think he's the best choice, it's whether the Rams think so. If the RAMS think so, that's a scenario where Floyd is taken #6. When are you paying him $1 million?

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Thanks for deleting my post AV. Real big of you. I guess you can't handle any criticism.
    Actually, I deleted it because I hit the wrong button when I was responding with a quote. You can untwist your panties now.

You are also phrasing your arguments in a way so that you avoid taking responsibility for your own words and your own arguments. If you don't think Floyd or Reiff should be taken at 6 then you shouldn't be defending how their hypothetical position wouldn't be a reach if they were taken there.
    No, the problem is that you can't read. I don't think Floyd or Reiff should be taken at 6 because neither is in the top 4 of my draft board (and I'm presuming that Luck and RGIII go 1 and 2, so I only need four players to get to a certain outcome for pick No. 6.).

You obviously remember what I said in my post since it bothered you enough to delete it. If you want to actually have a discussion like an adult you can defend your rationale and reasoning based on my questions and arguments. If you want to act like a child and delete anything that makes your posts or threads look bad you shouldn't start them in the first place.
    1. Stop crying.
    2. Actually try to read my posts.
    3. Respond as you please.

No it did not lol...

I'll go one step further, at that "market price," one could argue that a player like Michael Floyd is NOT a reach at No. 6 for a team like the Rams that really needs a WR.
    You are clearly saying at the new compensation rate Floyd is not a reach at six. I'm saying he is...

Pay up! Lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast