Thread: Geno Smith won't return for Day 2 of 2013 NFL Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Geno Smith won't return for Day 2 of 2013 NFL Draft

Geno Smith won't return for Day 2 of 2013 NFL Draft
    By Kareem Copeland
    Around the League Writer
    Published: April 26, 2013 at 08:17 a.m.
    Updated: April 26, 2013 at 08:28 a.m.

So, Geno Smith is taking his ball and going home.

The West Virginia quarterback had dreams of grandeur and thought he was destined to be a high selection in Thursday's first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. After 32 picks, Smith was still in the waiting room with cameras repeatedly showing his sullen demeanor.

Smith told ESPN's Suzy Kolber that he's going home instead of returning to Radio City Music Hall for Friday's second and third rounds. He declined interviews, but briefly said he wasn't surprised with the developments and would "play with a chip on his shoulder, even bigger than the one he had before."

There's no problem with Smith being disappointed. As a competitor, he should be. And he should use this to as motivation. But it's not a good move to decline interviews, pout and go home.

Being a leader is all about standing up and taking the good with the bad. Smith didn't hesitate to give interview after interview leading up to the draft and basking in the glow of all the hype in New York. He's the biggest story of the draft right now, and he's going to steal home without talking to anyone?

This isn't a good impression to leave on NFL teams and those who questioned his leadership and character in pressure situations. Smith will have to stand up in front of the media and take his lumps after a bad day when he throws three interceptions in a loss. This is no different.

I'm not trying to pile on Smith. He seems like a good guy with a ton of potential, but he shouldn't have been a first-rounder in the first place. The quarterbacks haven't slipped. They're going where they should.

He had an opportunity to stand up, bow his chest and show the world that Geno Smith isn't fazed by a little adversity. Alabama running back Eddie Lacy brought two suits with the knowledge that he might have had to return Friday.

Smith decided to slink away. He seemed above that.
    Not sure how I feel about this. The writer may have a point about this being a leadership and character opportunity, but I also can't blame Geno for not wanting every camera on him for his reaction as he waits to be selected for a second night in a row.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Geno Smith won't return for Day 2 of 2013 NFL Draft

Poor guy. Let this fuel your fire GENO!

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I understand the decision, but I think it reflects poorly on Smith. You don't want a QB who will hang his head and trudge home when it doesn't go the way he wants.

Also, he told Suzy Kolber he wasn't surprised he didn't go on day 1. Then why did you go to the draft if you weren't planning on staying past day 1? I would think his leaving would have some teams questioning how he would react after a bad loss.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

The more I think about it, I write this off as a kid being disappointed and nothing more. It's easy to overanalyze and criticize him for it, but you have to keep in mind this is the biggest moment of his life and not only did it not go as he expected but millions were watching that happen. Can't blame him for not wanting to go through that again the next day.

Schefter said Geno changed his mind and WILL return to the green room tonight.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The more I think about it, I write this off as a kid being disappointed and nothing more. It's easy to overanalyze and criticize him for it, but you have to keep in mind this is the biggest moment of his life and not only did it not go as he expected but millions were watching that happen. Can't blame him for not wanting to go through that again the next day.
    So what happens when he throws a crippling interception in a playoff game? Will he be too disappointed to play? Millions will be watching that too. I think it's fair to question his mental toughness if he can't handle not being a 1st round pick very well.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    So what happens when he throws a crippling interception in a playoff game? Will he be too disappointed to play?
    No, and to be honest, I think that's a pretty silly question.

I suspect NFL teams have made up their mind about Geno's mental toughness based on what he's already shown on the field, not the decisions he made in the Radio City Music Hall green room.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I had a bad feeling yesterday for Geno. They had so many stories running and interviews prior to the start of the draft. It kind of felt like a set up, because he was not a sure first round pick.

I wonder if the tweeting that he did hurt him a bit, feel bad for the guy BUT he should have stayed in NY IMO. He will come off the board early today.

If he does come back that is smart, hope he does.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-26-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I had a bad feeling yesterday for Geno. They had so many stories running and interviews prior to the start of the draft. It kind of felt like a set up, because he was not a sure first round pick.

I wonder if the tweeting that he did hurt him a bit, feel bad for the guy BUT he should have stayed in NY IMO. He will come off the board early today.

If he does come back that is smart, hope he does.
    He is still in NY and is going back to Radio City Music Hall.
    Rambos likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

The thing is, people are making way toooooo big a deal of this man. First of all, the NFL ONLY covers the Thursday nights costs (Hotel, all that crap)!!!!! He had flights scheduled to leave for all 10 of his family members for Saturday morning, and now he had to re-schedule all of those, as well as book his own hotel rooms...

Lets all relax and forget about this NON-ISSUE..

THE DREAM TEAM