Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I look at the Vick situation this way:

1. We aren't going to win next year either.
    2. We may in 2012....2011 will be a lockout.
    3. If it's only for one year, and the Rams aren't going to win in that year....what's the harm in allowing Vick to be the buffer to the new QB?
    Spending money on a QB to use for one year, when you admit that we are not going to win that year anyway. Thats kind of a problem isn't it?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I look at the Vick situation this way:

1. We aren't going to win next year either.
    2. We may in 2012....2011 will be a lockout.
    3. If it's only for one year, and the Rams aren't going to win in that year....what's the harm in allowing Vick to be the buffer to the new QB?
    Vick stunts the young QB's growth by playing in a manner unlike how the coaches would like the rookie to play.

Look at Jackson-he learned that dancing hesitation style, which does not fit his body style as well as charging ahead, from watching Faulk.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Spending money on a QB to use for one year, when you admit that we are not going to win that year anyway. Thats kind of a problem isn't it?
    Aren't we going to have to anyway if Bulger isn't here? And if he is here, he's going to get hurt because that man needs at least a year of sitting down to recover. Or do we go with the recent trend, draft the guy and name him the starter from day 1?

Vick stunts the young QB's growth by playing in a manner unlike how the coaches would like the rookie to play.

Look at Jackson-he learned that dancing hesitation style, which does not fit his body style as well as charging ahead, from watching Faulk.
    Not sure about that. However, could happen,
    Last edited by txramsfan; -02-17-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Or do we go with the recent trend, draft the guy and name him the starter from day 1?

Good question, I hadnt really thought about what we do with a young QB if bulger leaves. I suppose my reaction would depend on who we drafted. For example if we drafted Clausen, I would throw him in the fire. I feel he has the tools and can be a capable NFL Qb right away. However if we go defense and pick Lefevour in the 3rd round, I would rather he sit back and adjust a little. I would suppose if we let Bulger go we would have to bring in another QB for Lefevour to learn from, so I would rather not Vick be teaching him, maybe bring in Garcia if he isnt asking to much these days, or maybe Pennington.

Edit: This is all depending on if we let Bulger go, I would really like for the QB we pick up to sit behind Bulger for a year.

Jason La Confora reports that Vick is likely to stay and Eagle till PreSeason
    The Philadelphia Eagles haven't initiated any talks to trade quarterback Michael Vick, and they might not this spring, but that doesn't preclude them from doing so at some point.

The Eagles have until the first week of the league year -- which begins March 5 -- to deal Vick before having to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. A deal before then might be unlikely because the Eagles haven't called other teams about Vick, according to league sources.

Sources from two teams who would be in the market for a quarterback said they don't expect Vick to be dealt until the preseason. That's when his value could be enhanced by strong preseason performances, a full offseason of work with his team and injuries/uncertainty at quarterback on other teams.

Spending $1.5 million to retain Vick's services isn't a significant impediment for a team like the Eagles, and while doing so also guarantees $1 million of the quarterback's 2010 salary, that isn't a major financial hindrance, either.

League sources maintain that the Eagles aren't averse to dealing Vick for value -- with fellow quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb under contract for 2010 -- but they wouldn't be inclined to settle for a late-round draft pick. That might be all they could obtain for Vick now, given how sparingly he played in 2009.

Ultimately, that market could change and Vick's value could expand.

"I don't think there is enough value in a trade to make the move now," said an executive with a team that needs help at quarterback. "They don't have to trade him before the roster bonus is due, and I'd be very surprised if they traded him in March. I expect them to hold on to him until he has more peak value, and that could be in August or September."

The Eagles are very high on Kolb as a potential starter, and he could end up replacing McNabb in 2011. League sources maintain they would be shocked if McNabb was dealt this season, and the Eagles are hopeful they are on the cusp of a championship, with the veteran giving them the best chance of winning in 2010.
    I dont think we wait till PreSeason to make a move on a QB.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Honestly, if there was a good QB in free agency, that could change this organization around--guaranteed success, obviously I'd be all for that. But we don't have that luxury. In this case, here's a guy who has a lot of upside and talent as opposed to other guys that no one seems to be excited about (including Devaney), so I'd personally give Vick a chance simply because I think he seems dedicated to football this time around and is willing to do whatever it takes to become a starting QB again. Again, the upside he has is better, in my opinion, than anyone else in free agency/trade.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

richtree is offline Registered User

No free agent(potential free agent's) value peaks in Aug/Sept. There Value is highest before the draft.

Also, in this situation although 1.5 million isn't much - there is another 3.5 million for Vick begring the total to 5million.

So, in this case Vicks Value peak's on March 4th 2010.

case closed.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Jason La Confora reports that Vick is likely to stay and Eagle till PreSeason

I dont think we wait till PreSeason to make a move on a QB.
    Interesting article. We'll see if this tempers the Vick man-love for a while.

The article speculates that the Eagles may not get more than a late-round pick in a deal for Vick now. But would they really be able to get more in August?

How much is Team X going to pay for a guy who has spent all offseason in someone else's camp not learning X's playbook and not getting familiar with X's personnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Honestly, if there was a good QB in free agency, that could change this organization around--guaranteed success, obviously I'd be all for that. But we don't have that luxury. In this case, here's a guy who has a lot of upside and talent as opposed to other guys that no one seems to be excited about (including Devaney), so I'd personally give Vick a chance simply because I think he seems dedicated to football this time around and is willing to do whatever it takes to become a starting QB again. Again, the upside he has is better, in my opinion, than anyone else in free agency/trade.
    This may be the first time I've heard of a soon-to-be 30-year-old quarterback referred to as having a lot of upside, though I tend to agree with you that the free agent market isn't particularly enticing. That's one of the reasons I'd sit tight with the guy we know and who is already on the books - Bulger - and groom someone who actually does have some upside (a rookie) behind him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Interesting article. We'll see if this tempers the Vick man-love for a while.

The article speculates that the Eagles may not get more than a late-round pick in a deal for Vick now. But would they really be able to get more in August?

How much is Team X going to pay for a guy who has spent all offseason in someone else's camp not learning X's playbook and not getting familiar with X's personnel?
    I think the scenario the Eagles are banking on is that a team sustains an injury to their starter in the preseason (ie like Trent Green in 1999 or Vick in that one season in the early 2000s) and does not have a viable replacement on their roster. With the team scrambling for a replacement, Vick may suddenly become the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    I think the scenario the Eagles are banking on is that a team sustains an injury to their starter in the preseason (ie like Trent Green in 1999 or Vick in that one season in the early 2000s) and does not have a viable replacement on their roster. With the team scrambling for a replacement, Vick may suddenly become the best option.
    That's probably the case, but I'm still just not sure they're going to get much more for a guy who spent the entire summer in someone else's camp. Maybe instead of a sixth or a seventh round pick, they get a fifth? I dunno.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It may not be an impediment but why pay $1.5 million if you don't have to? That really doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Either you want him or you don't. And draft picks THIS year are always worth more than a draft pick next year (look at the trade value chart). Especially so if next year is a probable lockout season.

And as previously stated, Vick isn't due the bonus until the 9th so his peak value isn't the 4th.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This may be the first time I've heard of a soon-to-be 30-year-old quarterback referred to as having a lot of upside, though I tend to agree with you that the free agent market isn't particularly enticing. That's one of the reasons I'd sit tight with the guy we know and who is already on the books - Bulger - and groom someone who actually does have some upside (a rookie) behind him.
    And I agree, I'm fine with that as well but like I've said a million times, I wouldn't mind giving the dude a shot.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Check ESPN insider, they say the deal for Vick to the STL is 60% done, but it will take place later this summer.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Check ESPN insider, they say the deal for Vick to the STL is 60% done, but it will take place later this summer.
    This can also mean that the official "NO" will take place later this summer.

My question is this: If we were in talks to obtain Vick at this point, as indicated by the ESPN insider, wouldn't that be TAMPERING?
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -02-21-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    That's not what was said.

What ESPN's report does is cite two other reports: (1) the Jason La Confora article pasted above where sources from two teams said they don't expect Vick to be dealt until the preseason, and (2) a recent Jim Thomas chat where Thomas "gave a Vick-to-St. Louis trade a 60 percent chance."

No where are they reporting that the trade itself is 60% done or that it will be culminated in the summer.