Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    No Av Vick is not a top 10 passer

He is more of a gimmick QB.

He the Rams get no he is not part of the future plans but he is a playmaker that can help us. we are 1-15 there's only 1 thing we can lose that is a game.

We are not a good team we should get a playmaker.

But no Vick will not be the future.
    Vick isn't a consistent playmaker anymore. And adding a gimmick QB at this time is akin to sticking a spoiler on a garbage truck.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

What is the point of adding a gimmick QB to force a couple of cheap wins? The Dolphins installed a gimmick O, and used it to get to the playoffs for one year. But they have dropped back down to being out of the playoffs this past season. I dont want to use gimmicks to get one year of success. I want to build a strong base of this team that a couple of years down the line we will be a regular playoff team and winner of the NFC West. If we install an O with a gimmick QB we are going to have to alter it when we bring in a regular pocket passer to replace Vick, and that lack of stability isnt going to help the young players we have on offense

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I still think is an above average passer because his passes go for more yards per pass than the average passer.
    He is currently ranked 25th among active QBs for yards/pass. His passes do not, in fact, go for more yards per pass than the average passer.

Also, his percentages could be higher on a more pass friendly team besides the Falcons.
    And the Rams is that "more pass friendly team"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dominating D is offline Registered User

All I know is for certain is when McNabb went down who did the Eagles turn too? You would think it would have been a veteran QB who has seen it before. In his 1st game as a starter the young man Kolb was given the ball. He did struggle with the Saints although he had big yards in a cleanup effort he killed them in turnovers and play management. So again you would think the Eagles would then turn to Mr. Vick..... Wrong and they got it right when they stuck it out with the young man and the future looks bright in Philly.

So Vick is not even the 2nd best QB in Philly yet some want to argue he is one of the better QB's in the league? Unfortunately, due to bad moves from the Rams past in giving up on Warner way tooo soon and holding on to Bulger without a future backup has once again put the Rams in a bad place that they actually have to consider Vick as an option. This is the problem in itself that the Rams fail to identify good talent and hold on to the talent they have.

As a fan I hope they get this one right.

Go Rams
    Last edited by Dominating D; -02-10-2010 at 02:42 PM.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I said our #1 and #2 QB were better passers then Vick, Null has moved up a position on the depth chart.

Null has shown poise in the pocket and above average accuracy for someone coming out of a Div 2 school. He has shown patience and leadership in the huddle. Accuracy, patience, and poise are qualities that Vick has never possesed.

Thats the problem, you cant say Vick improved week after week, when he didnt play but maybe three plays week after week. And he has never been smart enough to read a defense, on the rare occasions that he throws the ball he has the luxury of throwing the people like Desean Jackson who seems to always be open, and then dump it off the LeSean McCoy.

Beileve it or not Ryan leaf was a very good QB coming out of College and was in the running for the first overall pick. Null has already shown that he has not inherited Leaf's Temperament, since he did not yell at the media after every loss. Null may not of proved he can win but neither has Vick, the only thing Vick has proved is that when his gimmick plays dont work Mcnabb can come back on the field and lead his team to victory. I never said Null could be a starter, But neither can Vick, and if I had to choose a backup, I would choose Null.
    Above average accuracy for a DIV 2 school is not good enough to be an NFL QB. Comparing Null and Vick doesnt even seem like an issue to me. Vick has played in the NFL and has led his team to the playoffs. He has an uncanny ability to find a way to win. Not to mention he has always had a cannon for an arm.

It is very hard to get into the flow of a game as a QB when you only play a few snaps. Just listen to McNabb when they first started taking him out. The rhythm isnt there, the timing isnt there. To actually be able to make an impact despite limited reps with the first team offense and less time in the game, that's impressive. Especially in his first year back in the NFL.

Now, Vick did have the luxury of throwing to some pretty good targets at wide receiver. Something he's never had before. But he didnt have the luxury of additional reps and quality playing time.

I remember Ryan Leaf coming out of college. Hell I remember thinking that you couldnt miss on either QB. Either go with the general in Manning or the gun slinger in Leaf. Leaf also proved that while he was a good college QB, he was never cut out to be an NFL QB, and neither is Null.

The difference between the two is that Vick has proven that he can win games. Although it was a few years ago that he was a starter, that is still something that Null has never done in the NFL. And Vick obviously proved something to Andy Reid. Reid is a smart guy. He's not going to keep Vick and let Garcia go if Garcia plays better. He's not going to play Vick if he doesnt believe that Vick will help improve his team. And if Andy Reid believes that, then I dont see a reason why I shouldnt believe that he would help this team.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Vick isn't a consistent playmaker anymore. And adding a gimmick QB at this time is akin to sticking a spoiler on a garbage truck.
    wat makes u think he cant be a consistent playmaker? There isnt much that makes u believe he is one either. So you cant make that assumption. But he did look good in that atlanta game

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He is currently ranked 25th among active QBs for yards/pass. His passes do not, in fact, go for more yards per pass than the average passer.

And the Rams is that "more pass friendly team"?

you are looking at per attempt. per completions he is 3rd of all active QB's.

and just another point, this year when he came into games the defenses knew he was gonna run the ball 99% of the time or handoff, and they still couldn't stop him , so I don't think hes lost his legs.

His long completion to Maclin looked better than any pass that any ram QB completed this year...

PS -- did anyone see Herm Edwards talk about the Rams getting Suh, Vick and Peppers, that amped we up...

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    wat makes u think he cant be a consistent playmaker? There isnt much that makes u believe he is one either. So you cant make that assumption. But he did look good in that atlanta game
    What about the other 15? What about those plays that are not designed to play to Vick's relatively limited strengths?

By that criteria we should be starting Josh Brown at QB. Completions are far more important than how far the bloody ball goes. Especially in our offensive system.

and just another point, this year when he came into games the defenses knew he was gonna run the ball 99% of the time or handoff, and they still couldn't stop him , so I don't think hes lost his legs.
    25 attempts, 95 yards total, 3.8 yards average.

Yeah, that screams unstoppable to me.
    His long completion to Maclin looked better than any pass that any ram QB completed this year...
    One good play does not make a good season. Shoot, we probably could have matched that if Avery could actually hold onto the ball. See also, "blind squirrel finds nut."

PS -- did anyone see Herm Edwards talk about the Rams getting Suh, Vick and Peppers, that amped we up...
    I find it harder and harder to conceive that two NFL organizations thought Edwards was a good coach. We aren't getting all 3. Shoot, we draft Suh, Peppers becomes superfluous.
    Last edited by PeoriaRam; -02-10-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: I kin spell gud

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    What is the point of adding a gimmick QB to force a couple of cheap wins? The Dolphins installed a gimmick O, and used it to get to the playoffs for one year. But they have dropped back down to being out of the playoffs this past season. I dont want to use gimmicks to get one year of success. I want to build a strong base of this team that a couple of years down the line we will be a regular playoff team and winner of the NFC West. If we install an O with a gimmick QB we are going to have to alter it when we bring in a regular pocket passer to replace Vick, and that lack of stability isnt going to help the young players we have on offense
    Why do you think signing Vick will prevent us from building a strong base for this team? One stinking roster spot will not set our team back. You said it yourself, you hope a couple years down the line we will be a regular playoff team, why not take a shot on Vick and see what he can do for a couple seasons. I would do anything at this point to make it to the playoffs next year like the Dolphins did last year. Well, not really anything, but give up a small chunk of money (for NFL QBs at least) and maybe a couple of late round picks seems like a good price for at least a better shot at making it through our weak weak weak division.

WHY... WON'T.... THIS... DEAD....HORSE.... DIE.... ALREADY....????

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Why do you think signing Vick will prevent us from building a strong base for this team? One stinking roster spot will not set our team back. You said it yourself, you hope a couple years down the line we will be a regular playoff team, why not take a shot on Vick and see what he can do for a couple seasons. I would do anything at this point to make it to the playoffs next year like the Dolphins did last year. Well, not really anything, but give up a small chunk of money (for NFL QBs at least) and maybe a couple of late round picks seems like a good price for at least a better shot at making it through our weak weak weak division.

WHY... WON'T.... THIS... DEAD....HORSE.... DIE.... ALREADY....????
    Beats me. A man who was given multiple chances to redeem himself ultimately let his old team's owner and fans down and literally gave them the bird. Despite being one of the least accurate quarterbacks in the league, being kept away from an NFL conditioning regime by incarceration, and reaching the age that most players lose their athleticism--which is frankly the only reason anyone would want an immoral, inaccurate cancer on their team in the first place--some people still seem to think that spending $5 million/year on a quarterback who is obviously not part of our long-term future is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Why do you think signing Vick will prevent us from building a strong base for this team? One stinking roster spot will not set our team back.
    For $5 million, an organization should get more than 3 or 4 snaps per game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39 View Post

The difference between the two is that Vick has proven that he can win games. Although it was a few years ago that he was a starter, that is still something that Null has never done in the NFL. And Vick obviously proved something to Andy Reid. Reid is a smart guy. He's not going to keep Vick and let Garcia go if Garcia plays better. He's not going to play Vick if he doesnt believe that Vick will help improve his team. And if Andy Reid believes that, then I dont see a reason why I shouldnt believe that he would help this team.
    The difference is Reid brought in Vick for Goal line Situations and not to be a starter. If Reid thought Vick could be a starter he would have pulled McNabb in that awful Raiders game and sent Vick in, he didnt. If Reid though that highly of him he would have been #2 on the depth chart, he wasn't, Kolb was.

The Eagles brought in Vick for one reason, to put him in in goal line and have him run in a few touchdowns, once the season was over they could get a significantly higher price for him in a trade. It was a ploy to get some draft picks by Reid, and guess what. It is working.

He is in fact tied for 3rd among active QBs for yards per completions at 12.4. And that is 0.1 yards/completion ahead of Charlie Batch. Maybe we should bring him in, too.

But why would we simply throw out completion percentage (which is the difference between yards/comp. and yards/attempt)? I guess when a QB like Vick (completion percentage ranked 37th among active QBs) is being considered, a proponent would probably want to leave that out.

As Peoria has pointed out, his yards/run feel off sharply from where it was the last time he played football....3 years ago.....in his mid 20's......before he went to prison. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Of course, we could just resign Boller.....his yards per carry was nearly 2 yards more than Vick.

More of a long Maclin run than a long Vick completion......and very fortunate the corner fell on Maclin's double move

richtree is offline Registered User

Wink Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    He is in fact tied for 3rd among active QBs for yards per completions at 12.4. And that is 0.1 yards/completion ahead of Charlie Batch. Maybe we should bring him in, too.

But why would we simply throw out completion percentage (which is the difference between yards/comp. and yards/attempt)? I guess when a QB like Vick (completion percentage ranked 37th among active QBs) is being considered, a proponent would probably want to leave that out.

As Peoria has pointed out, his yards/run feel off sharply from where it was the last time he played football....3 years ago.....in his mid 20's......before he went to prison. That shouldn't surprise anyone.

Of course, we could just resign Boller.....his yards per carry was nearly 2 yards more than Vick.

More of a long Maclin run than a long Vick completion......and very fortunate the corner fell on Maclin's double move

you argue against Vick like he has never done anything well.

He is a 3 time pro-bowler, #1 Overall Pick in the NFL draft, and one of the best atheletes the NFL has ever seen, yet you compare him to Boller and Null.

He did everything asked of him by Reid, the Eagles and the NFL both on and off the field.

He has the ablitiy to start and re-vive a dead franchise. He can do it for 1 year while we draft a QB for the future this or next year. He will be an additon to a building team that will feature athletes on the turf and speed and power.

Vick may not have proven he is an elite passer, but he has proven to be a very good player at the QB position.
    He also proved he can win.
    We needed to get back to .500. I and many feel he can do that the quickest while a QB for the future is on the way.

I am kinda tired of the whole Vick arguement.
    It seems that there are only 3 teams that Vick could end up playing for.
    Bills, Eagles, Rams.

Vick would seem to want to start and play on turf so I think the Rams are the favorite.

so if it comes down to Rams v. Bills I think he is more likely to come here based on the Philly connection and the indoors turf.
    65% chance of Vick in the Forecast as of today