throwback week



Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 199
  1. #121
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,561
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Not sure if you guys watchend ESPN this morning but our old friend has Vick going to either the Rams or the Bills if he does not remain with Philly.


  2. #122
    01d 0rd3r's Avatar
    01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,259
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Not sure if you guys watchend ESPN this morning but our old friend has Vick going to either the Rams or the Bills if he does not remain with Philly.

    Just a fabricated story when there is no news that people care about.

  3. #123
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,044
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Here's a quote from an interview Vick gave yesterday:

    “I think if I woulda applied myself,” Vick said, “there was a lot more I could have done off the field and also in the film room that could have elevated my game to a totally different level. I was complacent at the time, somewhat lazy, and I kinda settled for mediocrity.”
    So...

    Is he a changed man who will give his all to his next team, or will he fall back into the same pattern of complacency?

  4. #124
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,871
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I believe the logical explanation you seek for why Vick didn't play much has a lot to do with the fragile ego and sensitivity of one Donavan McNabb.
    Except that's not very logical, IMO. If McNabb's ego is so fragile and sensitive, then the Eagles wouldn't have brought Vick in in the first place. Heck, you could argue the Eagles wouldn't have spent a high second round pick on Kevin Kolb a couple of drafts ago if that were the case as well. But they drafted Kolb and they brought Vick in. And reports indicated that McNabb was supportive of the idea of bringing Vick in.

    I also find it infathomable that Andy Reid, in a divisional playoff game with their championship hopes on the line against a team that shut them out the previous week, would be more concerned about McNabb's ego than he is winning the game and moving closer to a title. Besides, it's not as if not giving Vick more opportunities has saved the Eagles from any controversy at the QB position. There's huge controversy right now as to whether or not McNabb is going to get dealt that doesn't really have anything to do with Vick but moreso with Kolb.

    So this idea that Vick didn't play in order to avoid controversy and to placate McNabb doesn't make much sense to me. McNabb's future with the team was already in doubt because of his and Kolb's contract situations, and controversy was inevitable as the Eagles would have to deal with that. Again, what we're hearing about Vick is that he's a winner. Your argument suggests that, rather than play a "proven winner" in a playoff game, Reid would rather coddle a quarterback who may not even be on the team next season. I just don't see that as very plausible.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  5. #125
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,147
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's a quote from an interview Vick gave yesterday:

    So...

    Is he a changed man who will give his all to his next team, or will he fall back into the same pattern of complacency?

    I was never a Vick fan when he was in Atlanta because I thought he didn't do the right things off the field. I always loved his talent.

    I think he is a changed man because of his humilty shown both on and off the field. He accepted full responsibity for the dogfighting incidents even though there were dozens of other people involved.

    Many would argue he was the face of the NFL. He was the NFL most marketable player and probably had the most jerseys sold. Yet upon leaving prision he has impressed Tony Dungy and took a back seat to Donovan McNabb.

    He did not complain in Philly. I don't know if many top notch atheltes could come back with humility,hope, and not slip up even once. Everyday he must think he should be starting and playing football. Heck he was probably better at cornerback then some of the Philly corners.

    Yet he practiced, did his workouts, followed protocol. He is making the Michael Vick project on BET -- thats where many of the quotes are from.

    When he scored that touchdown versus Atlanta I could see he was touched and lucky to have a second chance. I never saw him half as happy as that to score in Atlanta.

    A man is openly taking responsibilty and admitting his faults. This is a great reason why he can be a leader and his re-knewed thought process could help make him a better "passer" with new humility and a new focus on every detail.

    A post-prision Vick will be held even more accountable than any other QB in the NFL and as leader in the locker room. I hope any team gives him a starting QB job. Being a Rams fan, I think he can help us, and give a doormat team a boost of humility, energy, and inspiration.

    In a league where JaMarcus Russell is still starting games, I see no reason why Vick can't WIN. Not pass, not play QB, just WIN.

    I look forward to his career with or without the Rams to see if he can live up to his re-birth of character.
    Last edited by richtree; -02-11-2010 at 01:27 PM.

  6. #126
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    So on the list of qualities needed in a starting QB, "perceived humility" and "perceived happiness" rank above accuracy, decision-making, and progression reads.

    Wow. If that was the Vick contingency has come down, I'd say the debate is over.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  7. #127
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,147
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So on the list of qualities needed in a starting QB, "perceived humility" and "perceived happiness" rank above accuracy, decision-making, and progression reads.

    Wow. If that was the Vick contingency has come down, I'd say the debate is over.

    Sometimes, yes....If Bulger was humble enough to realize that he needed to hit the Weights and improve his speed and athelticism in the pocket he may be playing next year in the NFL. Instead his career is hitting abrupt halt due to a aging man with quick fading atheltic qualities. If the Rams don't start him again, Bulger will probably never start another game in the NFL.

    He could have improved these qualities during his "good years" but thought he was good enough.
    Last edited by richtree; -02-11-2010 at 02:06 PM.

  8. #128
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    60

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Sometimes, yes....If Bulger was humble enough to realize that he needed to hit the Weights and improve his speed and athelticism in the pocket he may be playing next year in the NFL. Instead his career is hitting abrupt halt due to a aging man with quick fading atheltic qualities. If the Rams don't start him again, Bulger will probably never start another game in the NFL.

    He could have improved these qualities during his "good years" but thought he was good enough.
    I'd say Bulger's physique noticeably improved back around 2005. I don't know that he got any faster, but his upper body looked more filled-out. Not that it matters. If he demonstrates the accuracy of his earlier years, he'll play as long as he likes no matter how immobile he might be.

  9. #129
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Sometimes, yes....If Bulger was humble enough to realize that he needed to hit the Weights and improve his speed and athelticism in the pocket he may be playing next year in the NFL. Instead his career is hitting abrupt halt due to a aging man with quick fading atheltic qualities. If the Rams don't start him again, Bulger will probably never start another game in the NFL.

    He could have improved these qualities during his "good years" but thought he was good enough.
    Wow. Yep, the debate is apparently over.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #130
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,147
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Wow. Yep, the debate is apparently over.
    Yeah, u guys won., lol ...yay !

  11. #131
    ManofGod's Avatar
    ManofGod is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,561
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Just a fabricated story when there is no news that people care about.
    Time will tell my friend.

  12. #132
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,069
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I think he is a changed man because of his humilty shown both on and off the field. He accepted full responsibity for the dogfighting incidents even though there were dozens of other people involved.
    IMO, he's a "changed" man because he's facing two more years of "supervised release". If he slips up just once, he's back in the slammer, which is another reason I would be very wary of signing him. Let's also not forget that when first confronted with the dog fighting accusations, he denied any involvement and blamed everything on those "other people".

    Maybe I'm wrong about him, but he's still way too risky for me, for a variety of reasons.

  13. #133
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Sometimes, yes....If Bulger was humble enough to realize that he needed to hit the Weights and improve his speed and athelticism in the pocket he may be playing next year in the NFL. Instead his career is hitting abrupt halt due to a aging man with quick fading atheltic qualities. If the Rams don't start him again, Bulger will probably never start another game in the NFL.

    He could have improved these qualities during his "good years" but thought he was good enough.
    You know, most (successful) teams work on getting better linemen rather than instructing the QB to work on running for his life in the offseason.

  14. #134
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Except that's not very logical, IMO. If McNabb's ego is so fragile and sensitive, then the Eagles wouldn't have brought Vick in in the first place. Heck, you could argue the Eagles wouldn't have spent a high second round pick on Kevin Kolb a couple of drafts ago if that were the case as well. But they drafted Kolb and they brought Vick in. And reports indicated that McNabb was supportive of the idea of bringing Vick in.

    I also find it infathomable that Andy Reid, in a divisional playoff game with their championship hopes on the line against a team that shut them out the previous week, would be more concerned about McNabb's ego than he is winning the game and moving closer to a title. Besides, it's not as if not giving Vick more opportunities has saved the Eagles from any controversy at the QB position. There's huge controversy right now as to whether or not McNabb is going to get dealt that doesn't really have anything to do with Vick but moreso with Kolb.

    So this idea that Vick didn't play in order to avoid controversy and to placate McNabb doesn't make much sense to me. McNabb's future with the team was already in doubt because of his and Kolb's contract situations, and controversy was inevitable as the Eagles would have to deal with that. Again, what we're hearing about Vick is that he's a winner. Your argument suggests that, rather than play a "proven winner" in a playoff game, Reid would rather coddle a quarterback who may not even be on the team next season. I just don't see that as very plausible.

    First off, we don't know what the eagles would've done, so let's not pretend here.

    As for drafting Kolb, it made sense because McNabb, who is not getting any younger, was coming off two consecutive seasons where he missed multiple games due to injury. One year it even took Jeff Garcia to get them to the playoffs. So obviously, to stand pat under those circumstances would've been foolish on their part.

    Secondly, why wouldn't McNabb be supportive of the move to bring in Vick? If he's not, he only exposes himself to what many already believe about his ego.

    Thirdly, I'm sure you've heard the term, "we're going with what got us here". It's a term that the majority of coaches use when asked what approach they'll take as it relates to personel, entering a playoff game. And what got them there was McNabb.

    For Reid to change his philosophy in the middle of a playoff game is truly what would've been unfathomable. He's no different than most sucessful coaches, so why is this so unbelievable?

    If there was going to be a significant change, I suspect it would've happened in the weeks prior to the post-season. But again, just because it didn't, doesn't automatically mean that Michael Vick had any less ability or somehow he's simply not good enough to play. All coaches go with what they feel comfortable with, it's as simple as that. Like it or not, McNabb has by far led the Eagles to and won more playoff games than any QB in their history. So maybe, just maybe, that has something to do with the fact that they didn't turn to Vick or Kolb.

    And fourthly, my arguement only suggests that maybe there's more to Vick not playing much, than your suggestions of a lack of ability.

  15. #135
    peramoure is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Get Scared Vick Haters...

    Saying "the debate is over" because he isn't the most accurate, doesn't go through reads perfectly, and doesn't make perfect decisions is silly. That isn't the player he is. He is *exciting*. Weird? The Rams, exciting, what?

    I can't sit through another season of Bulger/Boller/Null. Give me a QB who ducks Berry and scrambles for 20 yards. For god's sake, why is everyone protesting this guy - if you're against him morally I understand, but HOW can you be against someone when we're freaking 1-15? WE CANT GET WORSE.

Similar Threads

  1. Could Michael Vick be an option for St. Louis Rams?
    By THOLTFAN81 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: -01-19-2010, 11:52 PM
  2. Vick would bring buzz to Rams
    By MauiRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: -01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
  3. Defense needs to slow down the Vick
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -01-14-2005, 03:13 PM
  4. The offense, not defense, will have to stop Vick
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -01-14-2005, 10:02 AM
  5. Falcons let Vick be Vick
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-19-2004, 06:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •