Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Gholston going pro, CB Jenkins staying in school

Buckeyes' Robiskie, Jenkins coming back; Gholston entering NFL draft
    ESPN.com news services
    Friday, January 11, 2008

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- If Ohio State is to make a run for a third-straight appearance in the BCS championship game next season, some familiar stars will be there to help the cause.

Brian Robiskie, the Buckeyes' top receiver, and star cornerback Malcom Jenkins will both return for their senior seasons. Jenkins' decision to return was reported by ESPN's Joe Schad.

However, the Buckeyes will lose defensive end Vernon Gholston, who told Schad he will enter the NFL draft. Additionally, Jenkins said linebacker James Laurinaitis and linebacker Marcus Freeman are torn about returning to Ohio State or entering the NFL draft, Schad reported.

"It's time to take care of my family. It's time to let my teammates shine," Gholston said. "They say I'm a second-rounder. But what I bring is versatility. At 265 pounds I can add or lose weight. I can be a rush end and a linebacker. One thing I've never had a problem doing is beating blockers.

"As a son and as a man, it is my duty to serve and support my family to the best of my abilities. My childhood dream was, and still is, to one day be fortunate enough to do just that. I feel that time has come.''

Gholston surpassed Mike Vrabel's single-season school record with 14 sacks and was eighth on the team with 37 tackles.

Robiskie said there's still a lot he wants to accomplish in college, including winning a national championship. The Buckeyes were defeated 38-24 by LSU in this season's BCS title game and lost the 2006 national championship game to Florida, 41-14.

Robiskie had 55 catches for 935 yards, and his 11 touchdowns were tied for fourth-highest in Ohio State history.

The 20-year-old son of former Cleveland Browns interim head coach Terry Robiskie had been mentioned as one of the juniors who could leave early for the NFL. Members of Robiskie's class must declare their draft intentions by Tuesday.

Jenkins, who had 47 tackles and four interceptions, said winning the Jim Thorpe Award is one of his goals next season. The award is given annually to the nation's top defensive back.

"What's important to me is accomplishing more. I want to win the Thorpe. I want to be a first-team All-American," Jenkins said. "I want to win a national championship. I want to experience a senior season. You can't put a price tag on that. To be paid to play football is just a benefit. I'm not ready to transition to the next stage of my life yet."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Gholston going pro, CB Jenkins staying in school

Didn't expect Jenkins to stay, but that's incredible for us(Bucks). Gholston thinks he's a second rounder? I think that will change.

Also, somewhere it was said that their(Jenkins') class made a promise to stay together for their senior season...which would mean Laurinaitis would be staying too. One can only hope.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Re: Gholston going pro, CB Jenkins staying in school

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Didn't expect Jenkins to stay, but that's incredible for us(Bucks). Gholston thinks he's a second rounder? I think that will change.
    It's shocking that Jenkins is staying. I think it's a mistake by him.

I doubt Gholston thinks he's a second rounder. I think he's just stating what the advisory panel told him. I'm sure he knows he got lowballed. If not, he'd have probably returned to OSU too.