AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Gil Brant's Draft "Wild Cards"

Wild cards

Todd Herremans, Saginaw Valley
    Two years ago, we uncovered an offensive tackle by the name of Seth Wand. He wound up being drafted by the Texans, starting all 16 games for them in 2004. Herremans is this year's Wand. He has great size (6-6, 321) and is strong. Moreover, he had 26 different teams and plenty of offensive line coaches show up at his Pro Day in the middle of Michigan. That's generally a sign that he has quite a following.

Matt Jones, Arkansas
    Is he a quarterback? Is he a wide receiver? Is he a tight end? No one knows for sure, but he's the subject of a lot of talk around the league. I have never seen such intriguing numbers as we see on Jones. He ran four times under 4.40 in the 40 at the combine, also doing a 39-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-6 long jump. Those are just flat-out incredible numbers. And the guy was such a good athlete, he was good enough to start on Arkansas' basketball team in 2003. A lot of coaches have all kinds of ideas on where to play Jones, but only one team will have the chance to draft him.

Adrian McPherson, Florida State
    McPherson is a quarterback whose career at FSU was cut short and he wound up playing in the Arena Football League. He has good height (6-3), good speed (4.72 in the 40, right up there with the other fast QBs) and has kept his arm live by playing for the Indiana Firebirds in 2004. His touchdown-to-interception ratio (61 TDs, five INTs) with Indiana was unheard of, and growing up in Florida, he was the high school football and basketball player of the year in the same year. He's agile and athletic -- two very important qualities you'd want your quarterback to have.

Re: Gil Brant's Draft "Wild Cards"

I'm sure some will quip that Jones is a Martz kind of pick, but I wouldn't laugh it off. He could be a valuable player in the right system. I would certainly consider looking his way in the 4th round.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Won't last til 4 would have to be the first 3

Given his 40 time, I don't think Jones will last until 4. The worse he goes is early 3, I actually think someone will take a chance on him late 2nd round.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Won't last til 4 would have to be the first 3

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Given his 40 time, I don't think Jones will last until 4. The worse he goes is early 3, I actually think someone will take a chance on him late 2nd round.
    That's an awful big question mark for anything earlier than the 4th though. I've yet to hear anyone say he will project as a QB. Now he may be a great TE or WR, but nobody knows, he's only played QB. He may be the next "slash", but who is going to roll the dice with a 2nd round pick?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Won't last til 4 would have to be the first 3

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team take him in the third. Jones has shown he can run and actually did line up as receiver once for the Razorbacks, and caught a pass on a halfback throw. Not exactly loads of receiving experience, but from what I've read, he caught the ball very well in drills this spring. I definitely wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the mid to late third.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I think that, even more so that Randel-El, the two players who may influence some team to roll the dice with Jones are Chargers TE Antonio Gates (a converted basketball player) and Raiders WR Ronald Curry (a converted QB) who both had success last year.

Todd Herremans, Saginaw Valley
    Anyone ever heard of this guy? Looks like he has great size, and if he is another Seth Wand, he could be worth a look. Wand could certainly start at RT for us, maybe a mid-level pick on this guy would do the same. All I can find is that he is a D2 All-American OT, but nothing much more than that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Kind of going for the Robert Gallery look, isn't he?

rampete is offline Registered User

seth wand gave up an official 12 sacks in 16 games last year...almost as bad, in terms of per game, as grant williams... :disappoin