Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gohlston info

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Gohlston info

Looking likely Miami is angling toward Chris Long. Perhaps the Rams move down a few spot and get some extra picks and Grab Gohlston.

Here are his answers to interview questions, I don't know where this interview took place.

Growing up, who was your favorite NFL player and why?
    Marshall Faulk - I loved playing Madden with him.
    In college, what player hit you the hardest? Who was the recipient of your best hit?
    I do the hitting! It all depends on who you ask.
    What TV-show marathon will keep you on the couch all day?
    Sportscenter tends to keep me on the couch. Sometimes I watch it three times a day.
    What are the five most-played songs in your iPod? What's the one song you hope nobody ever finds out is in your iPod?
    Luther Vandross, Lil' Wayne, The Isley Brothers, R Kelly, and The Temptations.
    What celebrity would play you in the movie version of your life and why?
    Arnold Schwarzenegger - He and I have a similar build.
    What is one thing your teammates don't know about you?
    They know everything about me.
    What reality TV show would you like to be on and why?
    I would like to be on American Gladiators. It looks like a lot of fun being on a show like that.
    What's your proudest moment in football? Proudest moment off the field?
    The day I was able to start at Ohio State.
    When you play Madden, what team do you use? Do you put yourself on the team?
    I play with the St. Louis Rams; No I don't.
    Who has been the biggest influence on your football career and how?
    My high school coach, Charleston Fobbs. He helped develop the mentality in me to want to be the best.

Here is a scouting report: He looks to be a pretty good edge rusher with pursuit speed for all over the field effort. Read it yourselves. But he's a nice consolation prize.

Analysis
    Positives: Has a well-built frame with a wide back, broad shoulders, V-shaped torso, large hands, long limbs, defined muscles throughout and thick thighs and calves...Excellent speed rusher who needs to be accounted for on every play and has good field presence, locating the ball quickly to fly to it and contain the run...Has the ability to consistently disrupt the backfield, as he has the speed to escape and the strength to overpower offensive tackles off the edge...Plays with the type of effort and emotion that makes a coach comfortable knowing that he will make plays all over the field...Has great flexibility and balance working down the line and changing direction...Has a low center of gravity and strong anchor, making it very rare to see him on the ground...When he is taken off of his feet, he is quick to recover and get back into the action...Has loose hips, good knee bend and balance in his running stride when chasing long distances...Has rare ability to run the field for a player his size and can be sudden in his initial movement...Shows the in-line range and low pad level to shoot the gaps, playing with leverage when competing at the point of attack...Shows the effort to impact the play even if he doesn't make the tackle...Plays with a high motor and shows a natural feel for the game, as he continues to improve his ability to anticipate and jump the play...Self-starter with a great passion for the game and is a hard worker in the training room...While very confident in his ability, he is also a humble character with no off-field issues...Rare to see him talk trash and just goes about his business...Has a sudden first step to defeat an offensive tackle coming off the edge and the uncanny ability to anticipate the snap cadence and time his jumps...His low center of gravity lets him consistently shoot the gaps...Has that good blend of quickness and strength to hold ground at the point of attack...Has the quickness to penetrate when working inside and is very disruptive coming off the snap, as he is quick and active with his hand punch to rock the bigger blockers back on their heels...Could punch and shed blockers sooner but he can get upfield and collide with the ballcarrier with good pop on contact...Has the lower-body flexibility to drop his weight and leverage at the point, displaying the body control needed to split double teams...Generally uses his hands effectively to shed and separate, as he battles until the whistle...Can close in a hurry in the short area and takes good angles in pursuit to make plays outside the box...Has the speed to flatten and chase from the backside or the outside...Strong wrap-up tackler who can adjust in space and finish plays on his own...Consistently plays on his feet and is very quick coming off the edge, as he can turn the corner, showing the flexibility and counter moves (must be more consistent with the counter) to come under and also has the strength to bull rush or push the pocket...Is starting to develop a good feel for his pass-rush package (still needs to rely on those moves more) and knows how to keep his hands off and get free...Also capable of maintaining inside position when he sinks his pads...Has the second gear to close on the pocket and, while he gets most of his sacks off backside pursuit, he is also able to take an in-line gap to impact the backfield.

Negatives: Has loose hips to drop back in pass coverage, but when he gets too tall in his backpedal, he fails to get a clean turn coming out of his breaks...Instinctive player, but is still a relatively new to the game and needs more reps to help him gain experience, as he relies on his athletic ability...Has improved his technique, but can't be considered a technician using his hands or displaying an array of pass rush moves...Must develop a better feel for blocking schemes, as he doesn't always protect his body from cut blocks and is not yet consistent at splitting double teams...Can be fooled by misdirection and while he gives total effort, he sometimes can't find the ball until it is past him.

Compares To: JOHN ABRAHAM-Atlanta...Both players rely on a perfect blend of strength and suddenness off the snap to wreak havoc in the backfield. Gholston has a relentless motor in pursuit. If he had more on-field experience, he could be an outstanding linebacker at the next level. However, with teams looking for hybrid Cover-2 pass rushers, he is perfectly capable of impacting the backfield coming off the edge or dropping back into the zone to cover vs. the pass. He is still a raw talent that gets by on his athletic ability, but in a few years, with patient coaching and more experience, he has the potential to change the game, much like Abraham, Dwight Freeney (Indianapolis) and Jason Taylor (Miami) have done playing in that role.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Vernon Gholston

Semper Fi!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Gohlston info

NIIIIIIIICE. Lets make this kid's dream come true. I want him on the Rams. Trade down and get a few extra picks...we can do this no problem.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I get the Filling that either Chris Long Or Vernon Gholston will be a great pick. However seeing this new evidence of how he seems to be a Ram fan in some way makes me think He will be the Pick If the dolphins take Chris Long. Look for the Jets to Trade Down to take Darren Mcfadden

Wolf is offline Registered User

I've been preaching Gholston forever.

He'd look amazing down in a 4-3...or running fast as hell standing up in the 3-4.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Who doesn't use the Rams. Everyone has used the since the GSOT days. Its either Rams or Colts because they have the best offense. Nowadays the chargers are also creeping into most popular madden teams.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Who doesn't use the Rams. Everyone has used the since the GSOT days. Its either Rams or Colts because they have the best offense. Nowadays the chargers are also creeping into most popular madden teams.
    Comon', he named Faulk. I am sure he didn't mean that guy with New England.

He fits. Him and Carriker, Ryan, Little backed by Will and the boys and OJ........looks pretty good.
    Semper Fi!

I disagree its looking more likely they'll go Jake Long. I think it is looking less likely they'll go Chris. They are the front runners for getting Calvin Pace and they have gotten good pieces for their 3-4 front. They released both there starting tackles and haven't gotten anyone to replace him.

Wolf is offline Registered User

I'm a big Ram user when doing franchise mode, and I use them when playing friends. Believe it or not...Buffalo is an awesome team to use, too. Haha.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Count me as another person who has fallen for someone at the combine. I did not think that Gholston was worth a look at #2, but after his combine, if he has a similar pro day, he becomes a top 5 pick, especially if Dorsey has red flags on his legs. While I would love to be able to trade down for him, I just don't know of any teams other than maybe the Chiefs who will maybe trade up to get Jake Long who will take our spot and allow us to still get Gholston. If we don't get Chris Long, I doubt we get Gholston unless we take him at #2.

Also, Phat, why do you think the Jets will take Darren McFadden? More importantly, why would they trade down to get him? Chances are likely that if they want him, and again, I'm not sure why they would, that if he's not gone by their pick, NE will find a buyer for their pick for him. As for why they would want him, don't you think that the Jets are nicely stacked at RB already with Jones and Washington? I've never understood why teams think the Jets will take him other than to just get him off the board.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I disagree its looking more likely they'll go Jake Long. I think it is looking less likely they'll go Chris. They are the front runners for getting Calvin Pace and they have gotten good pieces for their 3-4 front. They released both there starting tackles and haven't gotten anyone to replace him.
    Dolphins are going to Either release or trade Jason Taylor (DE) By draft day. so the Front runner would infact Be Chris Long to Replace Taylor.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmmm didnt think about that. I really like Chris Long. Its either we get Chris or Vernon in the first round. Thats how I put it. Jake Long isnt the answer any more.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Count me as another person who has fallen for someone at the combine. I did not think that Gholston was worth a look at #2, but after his combine, if he has a similar pro day, he becomes a top 5 pick, especially if Dorsey has red flags on his legs. While I would love to be able to trade down for him, I just don't know of any teams other than maybe the Chiefs who will maybe trade up to get Jake Long who will take our spot and allow us to still get Gholston. If we don't get Chris Long, I doubt we get Gholston unless we take him at #2.

Also, Phat, why do you think the Jets will take Darren McFadden? More importantly, why would they trade down to get him? Chances are likely that if they want him, and again, I'm not sure why they would, that if he's not gone by their pick, NE will find a buyer for their pick for him. As for why they would want him, don't you think that the Jets are nicely stacked at RB already with Jones and Washington? I've never understood why teams think the Jets will take him other than to just get him off the board.
    Thomas Jones Is not getting any younger and Washington may never be an everydown back. I am Just saying that I wouldnt be Surprised if the Jets Show Interest In Mcfadden.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I've been fortunate enough to watch all of his home games in person this past year, and I must admit, I think he's the real deal, and wouldn't mind him at all on our team, but then again, I'm a bit biased.

It may be a reach a little bit at number two, but if the Dolphins don't take J. Long, then perhaps the Chiefs would make a trade.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    Dolphins are going to Either release or trade Jason Taylor (DE) By draft day. so the Front runner would infact Be Chris Long to Replace Taylor.
    Until I see some offensive tackles go to Miami to replace the ones they have already gotten rid of or some evidence that they are comfortable with their QB's, I'm going to believe they're either going QB or OT in the first.

It of course all depends upon what Parcells sees Long as, however. If he believes that he won't be able to be a DE in his 3-4, then releasing Jason Taylor means nothing. Of course, he may be getting Pace to replace Taylor because he doesn't think Taylor fits in his system either. If Parcells thinks that Long can play 3-4 DE in the NFL, then Chris may be the pick, but at this point, I lean offense.

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    Taylor won't matter if they sign Pace. Pace and Porter will be on the outside of the 3-4. That would be a verry formidable outside LB core. Long wouldn't really fit in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast