Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: Going after Brandon Carr instead off Finnegan?

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Going after Brandon Carr instead off Finnegan?

Looks like Dwayne Bowe will get the franchise tag at KC.

This leaves Carr out of the tag as they also signed Stanford Routt.

What do you guys think about going after Carr instead of Finnegan? Probably will cost a little less?

I am thinking about updating my wish list. And I think a WR Stevie Johnson and CB Brandon Carr, would cost less and be just as effective of any other FA combo we can think of. (i.e. Colston, Finnegan...Jackson, Carr...etc..)

If there were any questions about who the Kansas City Chiefs planned to slap with theFranchise Tag during this NFL offseason, they were seemingly answered with the signing of cornerback Stanford Routt. That would seem to clear the way for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe to be given that designation, as cornerback Brandon Carr was the other player seemingly in the running to receive it (via Kansas City Star).With cornerback essentially set, Bowe is the most obvious candidate to be Franchised. The 27 year-old is coming off a pair of seasons in which he eclipsed the 1,100-yard barrier and he has now gone over 1,000 yards in three out of four seasons. In the last two years he has really come into his own, making 153 receptions and scoring 20 touchdowns.
    There are some causes for concern, though. Bowe's 2011 was marked be inconsistency as he failed to break the 100-yard mark in any game after Week 5 and scored just one touchdown during that stretch. He also failed to eclipse the 75-yard mark in six of his final 11 games.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Going after Brandon Carr instead off Finnegan?

Can Carr play both sides of the field? That makes him more desirable. I'm not sure he's the type of CB Gregg Williams likes, very physical and smack you in the mouth type of CB. Is Carr that type of player? If so, then fine let's go after him. Don't forget, we may be looking at a back-up CB if Bartell, Murphy and Fletcher return from injuries. We don't have unlimited $ to spend in FA and we have a few of needs to address.

Go Rams!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Honestly I dont know a thing about Carr... is he a decent CB? I like CB's more like Courtland that are rough and tough and hard hitters but hey i'd take a great cover guy any day! The biggest problem with our team is overall talent. we need to upgrade that as a whole and if we do that by not getting the best guys out there but maybe upgraded alot of positions as a whole we should be a better team! I would be open for a Carr/Johson pick up if Carr is worth picking up. Need to do some research

I'm with you, don't know much about him. Just have been looking at the stats after I posted this. I kind of posted this hoping someone can give me info about him. If I lived in MO, I might have a slight idea as all teh CBS games would be chiefs, but I don't. A lot of people here might have seen him play though, so lets see what they say.
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -02-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Brandon Carr I believe was tied for the most TD's allowed last year with Stanford Routt. He's o.k but nothing over. He's got size which is a positive, but other than that I'd think he's just stealing playing time from Fletch and Murph.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-23-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Brandon Carr I believe was tied for the most TD's allowed last year with Stanford Routt. He's o.k but nothing mover. He's got size which is a positive, but other than that I'd think he's just stealing playing time from Fletch and Murph.
    How dare you give something non factual on here Sosa!! I know there is no way in hell anyone gave up more touchdowns than our very own justin king!!hmmmpffff

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    How dare you give something non factual on here Sosa!! I know there is no way in hell anyone gave up more touchdowns than our very own justin king!!hmmmpffff
    3 TD's in one game vs the same WR is pretty hard to top! haha. But yeah I think Carr is mediocre and I don't see a need for another guy like him at the CB position, especially with the nice 4.5-6 mill he'll be making. I just hope Fletch comes back 100%.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Brandon Carr I believe was tied for the most TD's allowed last year with Stanford Routt. He's o.k but nothing over. He's got size which is a positive, but other than that I'd think he's just stealing playing time from Fletch and Murph.
    Pro Football Focus attributes three touchdowns given up by Carr, compared to a league leading nine by Routt. To compare, Justin King tied for fifth worst with 6 touchdowns given up on their rankings.
    ZiaRam likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pro Football Focus attributes three touchdowns given up by Carr, compared to a league leading nine by Routt. To compare, Justin King tied for fifth worst with 6 touchdowns given up on their rankings.
    I agree with Nick: Justin King sucks!

....oh yea, and Carr would be a decent signing.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dang I was far off! Carr had a fantastic year in 2010 when him and Flowers were dominant, but dropped off last year. In 2010 he like Ron Bartell was ranked in top 10 CB's in success rate (61%). He also had 25 passes defended that year.

I think hes decent, but I see no need to go spend majority of the cap on a guy thats no better than our current #1 or #2. The only reason I'd get him is as depth, but thats some expensive depth.

So apparently this doesn't count pass interference calls that lead to touchdowns to huh? otherwise Mr. king would be King over this catergory!!

Yea so it seems like this guy would be a great pick up at #2 CB if we had a very good #1 CB

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Personally, I'm not nearly as comfortable with our current CBs as a lot of you seem to be. Bartell at his best is just a good corner IMO. A long way from elite, and he's the best we have. Or at least he was, prior to his neck injury. The fact that he can not catch to save his life, hurts him tremendously.

Who knows what he'll be this year and the years following.

So a player like Carr is a definite upgrade IMO.