Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good NFL.com article on Ngata

Ngata won't need to sweat name game
    By Vic Carucci
    National Editor, NFL.com

(April 19, 2006) -- No one pronounces the name right. Haloti Ngata treats that as a given.

For the record, it's Ha-LOHT-ee NAH-ta. Silent G. Got it? Good.

Here's something else you should know about him: He is the very best defensive tackle, and one of the two best defensive players, in this year's draft.

That means the name of the former Oregon standout has been mentioned, and no doubt mispronounced, quite a bit in the past couple of months by any number of draft analysts, fans, and even some NFL team officials. It means it will be mentioned, and no doubt mispronounced, quite a bit in the coming days as the draft draws closer.

And it means there is at least a decent chance that Commissioner Paul Tagliabue will get a crack at saying it somewhere in the course of introducing the top 10 picks to the world on April 29 at Radio City Music Hall. Some projections have him going as high as No. 5, to the Green Bay Packers, even though they signed free-agent tackle Ryan Pickett from the St. Louis Rams. By most accounts, the only other defensive player projected as a top-five pick is Mario Williams, an end from North Carolina State. Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley is the only other defensive tackle with elite status in the draft.

Ngata, a Los Angeles native who is of Polynesian descent, isn't likely to care about how anyone pronounces his name if it appears on the selection card of a team with a choice early in the first round.

His only interest is trying to live up to the lofty expectations created by a college career that inspired Mike Bellotti to declare that Ngata was the best player he has coached during 17 seasons at Oregon.

"I'm excited and overwhelmed that people think I may be the first (defensive tackle) gone," said Ngata, who declared his eligibility for the draft as a junior. "That's a lot of pressure, and I know I'll have to work really hard to meet those expectations."

He is modest, but confident. Why shouldn't he be? Last season, he was credited with 61 tackles, including nine for loss. He also had three sacks, blocked a pair of kicks, and forced a fumble.

"I think I'll do really well," Ngata said. "I'm really strong, quick."

At 6-foot-4 and 338 pounds, he has the ideal frame to anchor the middle of a defensive line. His greatest strength is his strength. "Freakish" is how at least one talent evaluator has described it. Ngata is strong enough to not only consistently occupy multiple blockers, but also escape from them and make tackles.

He has impressive athleticism and quickness off the ball, and his bulk and power allow him to collapse the pocket in passing situations. But he is not much of a pass rusher, and teams that have evaluated him know what they would be getting.

"Basically, I'm a run stopper," Ngata said. "I'm working a lot on rushing the passer, but I think I'm known as a run stopper. That's what I do."

Scouts also are impressed with Ngata's ability to overcome the loss of both parents, who raised him and four siblings after moving from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City, Utah. His father died three years ago in a truck-driving accident. His mother died in January after a battle with diabetes and kidney failure.

"It's been tough," Ngata said. "I just use it as motivation. My dad and my mom are finally going to see me play together."

Some scouts compare him with Shaun Rogers, the Detroit Lions' 6-4, 345-pound, Pro Bowl defensive tackle. Ngata prefers to compare himself to another Pro Bowler at his position, 6-1, 325-pound Casey Hampton of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"He does really well with double teams and separating the double team," Ngata said. "When he gets single blocked, he does really well getting away from that guy and getting to the quarterback or the running back."

If Ngata performs that well in the NFL, mispronunciation of his name no longer will be a given.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Re: Good NFL.com article on Ngata

good read nick,

when ive looked at the video clips on him,im surprised how quick he can move,im not saying he could do it all game but when he needs to he can burst quite impressively for his size!

i like the guy,im slightly in favour of bunkley at DT at this point but Ngata is pulling it back in my estimation!

the reason im favouring bunkley is that i feel there is a little depth at the NT position in this draft,not a deep abyss but there is some and if glover and kennedy both work out, play well etc... then its glover that we gonna need to replace before kennedy!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew4EverRams
    when ive looked at the video clips on him,im surprised how quick he can move,im not saying he could do it all game but when he needs to he can burst quite impressively for his size!
    I agree. I think his athleticism and quickness are generally underrated. I don't think he's a two-down lineman, as Wagoner has stated. I think he could play on passing downs and get a good push in the pocket, if not command a double team that could free up Little, Glover, or Hargrove.

I would probably take Bunkley first, but Ngata is a close second and right behind Bunk on my board.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Id take Ngata, hes huge and hes a run stopper and glover is a pass rusher but its hard to chose... how come there hasnt been a mock draft in a week? Nick, can you make a "Only 1 week to go" Mock Draft?

I've been working on it, but the news of Ricky Manning signing the Bears' offer sheet is forcing me to change it, as I had them going CB in the first. Plus, I'm trying to decide rather the Bills' recent statements/hints about Bunkley and Justice are a smokescreen or not.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I would take Ngata over Bunkley. Simply because we have been torched by the run over the past two seasons. Ngata would shore up the middle with his size, quickness, & his strength. Not to mention his ability to take on two blockers leaving the ends & linebackers to do thier job. Kennedy in imo is not the answer, will he improve? sure but i dont think he will ever be the dt were looking for. The war in the trenches must be won & to do so we need a run stuffing blocker devouring stud like Ngata. With the #11 pick the St. Louis Rams select Haloti Ngata from Oregon.

more on why i pick Ngata over Bunkley look at our schedule... we face E. james twice, alexander twice, LT, larry johnson and priest holmes, clinton portis, D. Foster so we need a good run stopper

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE
    I would take Ngata over Bunkley. Simply because we have been torched by the run over the past two seasons. Ngata would shore up the middle with his size, quickness, & his strength. Not to mention his ability to take on two blockers leaving the ends & linebackers to do thier job. Kennedy in imo is not the answer, will he improve? sure but i dont think he will ever be the dt were looking for. The war in the trenches must be won & to do so we need a run stuffing blocker devouring stud like Ngata. With the #11 pick the St. Louis Rams select Haloti Ngata from Oregon.
    It sounds as if Bunkley is a better fit for Haslett's scheme though. Not that Ngata wouldn't fit at all - he's a clogging NT that would take on blockers and allow our smaller LBs to run free, and can also be the ideal NT if we shift to 3-4 alignments - but it's been reported that Haslett wants the faster and more athletic defensive lineman. That's one of the reasons I'd put Bunkley over Ngata on the Rams' board. But as I said, Ngata's athleticism is underrated by some, and I think he'd be a fine addition to the line.

Also consider that the last time Haslett spent a first round pick on a quick athletic DT, he was pretty much a bust (Johnathan Sullivan in 2003). Will Bunkley follow suit? It's hard to say. My point is there are both positives and negatives to each of these guys. However, if Bunkley goes 8th overall to Buffalo, the Rams should have no problem chosing a guy like Ngata, though we certainly haven't heard as much buzz around him as we have Brodrick.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I have nothing against Bunkley, he will be a fine dt, but imo im tired of seeing running backs torch us (even no name backs). We must stop the run & that all starts down at the 1st line of attack (the trenches) if we dont stop the run its going to be a long year for the true & blue. As RamFan4ever pointed out we have a lot of backs this year to contend with, not to mention James & Alexander twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE
    I have nothing against Bunkley, he will be a fine dt, but im tired of seeing running backs torch us (even no name backs). We must stop the run & that all starts down at the 1st line of attack (the trenches) if we dont stop the run its going to be a long year for the true & blue. As RamFan4ever pointed out we have a lot of backs this year to contend with, not to mention James & Alexander twice a year.
    You read my mind...... one of the first plays of last years game VS Redskins, Portis i think ran for a TD on the first running play
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -04-22-2006 at 12:08 PM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Good find Nick. The article and the player seem to be top notch.

Ngati... sounds like naughty with an "a" at the end instead of a "y" to me....so that is how I am going to think of it. These foreign names are killing me. You would not believe the names I see on resumes these days. I have no idea how to pronounce them.

Ngati sounds good. We need a run stopper to close up those gaps. He sounds motivated and a little cocky. I love this quote
    His only interest is trying to live up to the lofty expectations created by a college career that inspired Mike Bellotti to declare that Ngata was the best player he has coached during 17 seasons at Oregon.
    Nick, I worry about you. I can't understand how you have so much time to analyze the players and make up all these mock drafts. It is not good to focus too much time in one area of your life. I think after the draft you better be taking a break. I love your stuff, but no one is paying you to do this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

oops...duplicate post...must delete.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

oh yea during that redskins game last year, two HBs ran for 100 yds.. and the rushing offence of the redskins was 257 yards we need ngata more to stop the run that has been destroying our rushing defence
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -04-22-2006 at 12:35 PM.

general counsel is online now Registered User

If this guy is available at 11, i dont want to trade down unless we get blown away.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If the big guy is there, we take him, no questions in my mind. Not only will he be very good against the run, but on passing downs he will be eating up at least two blockers. If you leave Little one on one, well, you might as well just chalk up a sack already

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast