Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Good NFL.com article on Ngata

Well, the more we approach 'D-day' and the more I read about the needs of the 10 teams above us, the more I think that at #11, we will end up with better chances of selecting either...

Ngata, DT: least probable of finding available.
    Bunkley, DT: unlikely but possible.
    Hawk, LB: more probable than Bunkley.
    Greenway, LB: feasible opportunity.

Ngata is too much a covetted player to be around at 11.

Aaaaagh! I meant 'coveted' but was unable to edit the post.

In any event, I believe Ngata, given his story and persona, is now more prized as a 1st rounder than Bunkley and Hawk and at least FIVE other TOP PROSPECTS.

Which makes LB Greenway a better opportunity for the Rams to choose at 11.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Well, the more we approach 'D-day' and the more I read about the needs of the 10 teams above us, the more I think that at #11, we will end up with better chances of selecting either...

Ngata, DT: least probable of finding available.
    Bunkley, DT: unlikely but possible.
    Hawk, LB: more probable than Bunkley.
    Greenway, LB: feasible opportunity.
    You actually think that Hawk could be there at 11? I wish that were true, but I think it's extremely unlikely.

I guess there are no concerns at all regarding Ngata's knee?

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Ngata is better than Bunkley.. As far as fast and athletic lineman. The guy can dunk a basketball at 340lbs - he's plenty athletic.

I know what Haslett has said, but the Nose Tackle is a different animal. If they put fast, athletic guys inside and then put 225 lb linebackers behind them (like we plan to do), Teams are going to try to outphysical us constantly. I think we've all seen plenty of examples of Robert Thomas and Pisa (and Jamie Duncan before them) STRUGGLING at the point of attack when teams decided to run right at them.

I see it differently, a big Run-stuffer in the middle (Like Gilbert Brown, Casey Hampton, or Sam Adams) ALLOWS the other guys to use their speed and athleticism to run directly to the ballcarrier. Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams on the Ravens allowed the Raven's athletic Linebackers (including Ray Lewis) and their other athletic DL to play with abandon and get into predictable pass situations more often by jamming up the Run.

In 2005, the SanDiego Chargers led the NFL in run defense, and Jamal Williams was a 350-pound roadblock at nose tackle. He was the gatekeeper of a defensive front seven that allowed only one 100-yard rusher all season

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Ngata is better than Bunkley.. As far as fast and athletic lineman. The guy can dunk a basketball at 340lbs - he's plenty athletic.
    And Ngata wins in terms of character as well. That's extremely important and something that should be taken into consideration in my opinion.

I just got around to reading Ourlads summary of Ngata and I was shocked. There were far more negative comments than positve. They do have him rated just barely ahead of Bunkley, but man, they really picked him apart. They're usually pretty good at assessing talent, so now I'm having some doubts about him.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Harry, Please dont doubt this monster of a man he will be physical in the middle demanding a duoble team be put on him, and we know what happens next, the ends will be freed up & the linebackers will be able to hit the line with force instead of being on their heels all the time. We must have a DT that will demand the opponet know where he is at all times & i do belive Ngata is that man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12