Thread: Got a Ngata?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Got a Ngata?

Okay, so here's the deal. A lot of mock drafts had Buffalo taking Haloti Ngata at number 8. Now the Bills have signed two young DTs in Larry Triplett and Ryan Pickett. Detroit sent Rogers to the Pro Bowl, and while Wilkinson is aging, he is still performing at a very high level. Arizona filled their need at DT with Kendrick Clancy to pair with Darnell Dockett. It now seems quite likely that Ngata will be available when the Rams pick.

So here is what I'm thinking:

1) We don't have great depth at the position now, and he would likely be the best defensive player available at that point.

2) Defensive tackles seem to very rarely make a big impact their first year. So drafting him based on immediate need might not be prudent. Jimmy Williams, for example, would be a more likely immediate starter.

3) This might improve our opportunities to trade. If we want to trade up, the NY Jets, SF, and New Orleans are all teams that have needs at DT but probably would not feel comfortable taking Ngata so early. Similarly, if we want to trade down, the 11 slot may have new-found value.

So what do you think? Is there anybody in the top 10 now that is likely to take Ngata? If not, what do we do when it's our turn to pick?

DaRamsBaby is offline Registered User

Re: Got a Ngata?

first i thought the packers took ryan pickett... and second i would rather get someone in the secondary and rely on FA or jimmy kennedy

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Pickett signed with Green Bay, not Buffalo, so they could still be looking at Ngata.

In my current mock, I have the Bills landing Vernon Davis, and the Rams passing on Ngata to take Chad Greenway.

I think the Rams could get a good DT in Round 2. Possible selection: Gabriel Watson (333 lbs) from Michigan.

Ah, you're right. It was the Packers. Whoops. So I guess the Bills still may need a tackle.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't care if Ngata is there. I don't want him at the #11 pick.
    RamsFan16

rampete is offline Registered User

it seems high first round picks at the DT position rarely do well, as of late...it may be psychological pressure or it may be incompetent scouting...or little of both...

i'd rather we go DT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...mccargo of nc state or dvoracek of alabama may be available...

Dvoracek is actually a Sooner, but it does seem like you take your chances drafting a DT early. Even the players who do turn into stars seem to take 3-4 years before you see it.

rampete is offline Registered User

thanks for the heads-up goldenfleece...

for every one decent DT there seems to be 3 or 4 gone bad...

what worries me is that haslett, when he was HC of the saints, sold the farm to move up to #6 to pick sullivan DT of georgia, bypassing kevin williams and jimmy kennedy...he's not even a starter on that team anymore...i hope haslett has learned from that mistake...