throwback week

keith m. klink Guest

GRADE the RAMS newly signed FA .

THIS is the chance too really see what the RAMS nation is feeling , and we are going to get some really good opinions on why the RAMS did well or crapped pants on us . This also includes the streets that we kept .

JOSH BROWN . A+ ... The RAMS lost an all-pro and future HOFer ( i hope , he deserves it ) in WILKINS , and in turn picked up the same strong legged monster killer . the rams could have spent the next 10 years screwing with a plug in , like they did with the punter for 10 years.

JACOB BELL . A ... This was the ADAM TIMMERMAN signing back in the day . this young kid just solidified and improved depth on a needing line .

ANTHONY BECHT . B- ... I KNOW ....another TE . well this time they have it right . the addition of a 280lb buster to go with or behind MCMICHAEL , ya i know he is older , so what an 8-9 year veteran that produces is way better than a super talent / dipstick( BYRD ) . McMICHAEL - BECHT - KLOP ...1 2 3 and set the BYRD free .

BRANDON GORIN and ADAM GOLDBERG . B+ ... Even though some were brought in as street FA to get a warm body on the field , they must have made enough progress to earn a new contract . The RAMS can't play cutsie with FOSL . so this seems to be a great signing since both can play the G-T positions . i like the thinking of keeping familiar depth on the team .

thanks for the support , have a great debate on these players signed so far . KK

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: GRADE the RAMS newly signed FA .

I would agree that the Brown signing deserves an A rating. Too many missed field (oppertunities) goals last season.

I would give the Bell signing a B grade. I'm just not that familiar with his body of work. I was however familiar with AT and I don't think this guy is of the same caliber. Excellent signing all and all.

Becht? Weak. Sure hope that some of these other guys can coach or evaluate talent. Becht is a slightly above average player. I give him a C+ grade.

Gorin? Goldberg? You can fill holes with concrete and you can fill holes with garbage. Maybe if this franchise didn't have a-holes in the front office and the smell of desperation oozing out of their pours then they wouldn't have had to overpay for FA's and wouldn't be shoping in the bargain bin at the dollar store. Grade D- .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Milan Guest

Josh Brown - A-
    Jacob Bell - B+ Haven't seen enough of him.
    Anthony Becht - C
    Brandon Gorin and Adam Goldberg - C
    Trent Green - C+

Mooselini Guest

Josh Brown - A+ Great pick up. Replaces our kicking needs. Perfect pick up.
    Jacob Bell - A Definately a good pick up. He's a starter and gives depth for every position.
    Anthony Becht - C I know next to nothing of him. But from what I read, he's a good blocker.
    Brandon Gorin and Adam Goldberg - C Depth players.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Josh Brown, K
    Grade: B
    Good signing and will probably be with us for many years to come. The only reason it doesn't get higher marks is that if we had signed someone less expensive, the dropoff probably wouldn't be that significant.

Jacob Bell
    Grade: A
    We signed an above average offensive guard in his prime for a hefty but not exorbitant price despite the shallow pool of talent in free agency this year. Consider that Kris Dielman, Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, and Leonard Davis all got paid more last off-season, and prices tend to go up each year.

Anthony Becht
    Grade: B-
    Despite spending two first day picks on tight ends and signing one of the better pass-catching tight ends in the league, the position was honestly still lacking. Klopfenstein has been a liability in pass protection, and I for one have wondered why we even kept Byrd around. This signing adds a skilled veteran blocker to the line who will hopefully let McMichael get more involved in the passing game. So it's a good move, but nothing spectacular.

Brandon Gorin and Adam Goldberg
    Grade: C-
    With the addition of Bell and potentially another offensive lineman in the draft, these guys might not be on the team by the start of the season. No offense to either of these guys, but I hope we don't ever have to see either of them in the starting lineup again.

STLLAMBS Guest

Josh Brown - B-
    Our O-line and entire D has more holes than Swiss cheese! Yet, our big FA signing is a KICKER!!! Efficient use of cap money!!!

Jacob Bell - A
    Young stud, should help solidify the interior O-line!

Becht - C-
    Big body, Over the hill TE. There's a reason he hasn't lasted with one team for too long!

Gorin / Goldberg? - F
    Warm Bodies, that barely belong in the NFL.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Josh Brown, K
    Grade: B
    Good signing and will probably be with us for many years to come. The only reason it doesn't get higher marks is that if we had signed someone less expensive, the dropoff probably wouldn't be that significant.
    Regarding your comments on the Josh Brown signing: I have to disagree with your implication that the Rams may have overpaid for his services. While he didn't come cheaply (and why should he have?) I, for one, am more than willing to pay a premium to have stability and production from our kicking game. How many threads have we had on ClanRam bemoaning the horrible attempts of our punter dejure to actually punt like a professional? And how many games did it cost us? Brown brings what Wilkins brought to the Rams for years: Solid, productive kicking. I say we'll look back on this signing and rejoice we got this guy signed in his prime and for the amount we did. BTW IIRC there may have been a few that thought we overpaid for Jeff Wilkins when we resigned him to a long term contract. Worked out pretty well if you ask me.

WHAT SAY YE?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    BTW IIRC there may have been a few that thought we overpaid for Jeff Wilkins when we resigned him to a long term contract. Worked out pretty well if you ask me.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I can't figure out what IIRC means. Please help. Thanks

rammiser is offline Registered User

Brown-B+
    Bell A-
    Becht-C-
    Green-C
    Gorin-C-
    Goldberg-D+

If Bulger goes down from a wicked hit I'm not reall confident the same fate wont be instore for Green. Becht just makes me say blah blah blah. Bell and Brown were both solid signings.
    Last edited by rammiser; -03-10-2008 at 11:38 PM.
    Just Fix It

chipperjones Guest

Brown-A+
    Bell-A+
    Green-?-This could be great or horrible
    Gorin-Goldberg-C...decent backups
    Becht-B-Yall are forgetting he is a buckup run blocker...he's very good at that. This hurts our team in no way and helps Steven Jackson

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I can't figure out what IIRC means. Please help. Thanks
    If I Recall Correctly

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Josh "downtown" Brown...A- He`s a very good kicker who has made atleast half of his kicks in conditions that dont favour the kicker...should get even better numbers now he`ll be playing his home games in a dome!
    i didnt give him an A+ because i dont think hes in the top 2 kickers in the NFL but hes certainly top 5 IMHO.

Jacob Bell A- altho im a big fan of Faneca`s the fact that he`s only got say 2 years at the top left in him..then say another 1-2 years on the decline before he retires,Bell was always the pick for me...i pay attention to the trenches more than any other aspect of the game and am aware of his talents..he is a finesse OG or as finesse as a near 300lb player can be and isnt really a smashmouth OG but he is a lot stronger than given credit for ,he has good technique,he moves and pulls DT`s out of harms way of the QB and opens up lanes for the RB`s rather than planting the DT on his ass like say Hutch might do!
    as the running game goes...he would have probably been a better guard to have had when Faulk was our starter,as he doesn`t hold the lanes open enough for a straight ahead runner like SJ,but am sure they will work on that part of his game and work out something between SJ and JB....also he has the same initials as my favorite drink!

Becht B ...He has had a solid if not spectacular career ,tho maybe the fact that he was a 1st round draft pick for the Jets when entering the NFL has meant that his lack of flair in comparison to say a Kellen Winslow Jnr,Gates etc...has meant that what he`s good at has been downplayed! for what we need out of a second/third choice TE hes a great pick!

Goldberg...C- im not a great fan of his...saying hes depth is one thing but i sure hope he doesnt see any action!
    Gorin...C yes hes played on the Pats O-line but so did Grant Williams! i think he`s marginally better than Goldberg,in that he seems to have a sure position that he can play in RT...id rather him fill in for Barron than A.G for Cogs!

Green- B- if kept healthy,he`s an upgrade over Gus,fingers,toes and everything else crossed that will happen.

none of the new players signed are FOSL`s which may indicate something or it may not....

chiguy is offline Registered User

Honestly, some of these grades are a touch insane folks. If you want to grade Gorin as a C+ player that's one thing, but as a signing he's a *whole* lot better? Why? He's a depth player with lots of experience and he came cheap. If we hadn't had to watch him play more than he needed to and he came from another team, we'd think it was a great signing. That's doesn't strike me as an objective "grade."

Another thing is that everyone seems to forget that we really needed to beef up the running game (here I refer to Becht). Yeah he can't catch anything, but this was a Saunders signing, I'll bet you money. He got tons of production from a great running back with a big line and a mediocre receiving corps. If that doesn't sound like how Becht fits in, then I guess I'm just crazy. In that sense, it was a good signing.

My grades, then:

Brown: B+. We get a very good kicker and ensure stability in the only part of special teams that *has* worked for us of late. On the other hand, we overpaid because we didn't have much of a choice. That little bit of overpayment probably cost us an opportunity elsewhere to throw some more dollars at a Bruce or a better offensive line backup.

Bell: A+. This is a great signing for two reasons: 1) the cost wasn't extreme and 2) it automatically improves our line and its depth. Assuming we sign a center, we now have a 3 guard rotation of Bell, Setterstrom, and Incognito. You don't even get to Gorin until #4. That's a much better situation than last year when Terrell was option #3.

Becht: B. This signing is an immediate upgrade in the two tight end formation and jumbo formation (red zone offense anyone?) over Aaron Walker and Klopfenstein. It also means we probably will do a better job of using Klopfenstein too because he won't be on the field unless he's part of a passing play; that fits his skills better. It also gives us more flexibility with McMichael. It sucks that we needed to do this, but if we're being honest with ourselves this was a bigger need than we might have admitted. Plus, we didn't pay hardly anything for the guy.

Gorin. A-. When you're talking about your fourth guard, the price and experience is pretty good. He ain't no Milford Brown or Grant Williams. He won't look great starting half a season, but that's not why we signed him either.

Goldberg. B-. I'm not crazy about him being our third tackle. The price is right, but the talent level is not. He gets some points for flexibility. All that said, the grade on this move immediately goes up if and when we draft an OT in one of the first three rounds. As a 4th tackle, I've got no qualms with this guy.

Green. C+. An upgrade over Gus? Probably. Cheap? Not really. Better options? Not really. Good move? Eh.... The Rams really didn't have many options here and therefore had to overpay to get Green. That said, I kind of wish they could've worked something else out. This strikes me as a lame attempt to motivate Bulger.

Devaney. A+. He's part of our free agency, no?

I know my grades seem high, but I think we've done a solid job in FA. We didn't overpay for anyone really except a kicker, which is a fairly crucial part of the game. The group lacks splash, but how often do splashy free agent moves really change the direction of a team? Instead, it seems obvious to me that we've automatically improved on the offensive line (especially if we draft an OT) and it becomes deep and is better suited for our new offense. Our red zone offense looks better, our running game looks better, and so on.

ON defense, we stayed the same and maybe lost a little ground, though we may yet have a chance to bring in a veteran backup at CB (no more Lenny Walls...please!) and LB depth. There weren't any moves that would've made sense, I think, that we didn't make other than resigning Chillar.

I would therefore grade the whole thing as a B/B+. Solid but not spectacular, but probably exactly what this franchise needed.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Brown- A Simply taking him away from Seattle is nice but this guy is a solid addition. Having a great K is highly under rated until it's field goal time and the ball is sitting on the 36 yard line.

Bell- A+ Timmerman 7 years ago. Very solid pickup.

Green- D- I love the guy but your backup shouldn't be a walking head injury waiting to happen. This means our #3 QB is very important. Who is that?

Gorin-Goldberg- C As deep backups, they are ok. If we are counting on them to start, we are in serious trouble regardless of who you have sitting at this depth.

Becht- B- Solid run blocker. With our O-line last season, this is a good addition. Rams haven't had a solid blocking TE for years. TEs aren't all about catching the ball, I think some people have forgotten that.

STLunatic Guest

Our best signing so far has been Offensive Cordinator Al Saunders