Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Great Blue North discusses financial implications for the top pick

From Great Blue North's draft website...

April 3 (12:01 AM): Musings about top pick… Miami owner Wayne Huizenga reiterated at this week’s NFL league meetings that it is almost a certainty that the Dolphins not be trading the #1 pick at this year’s draft. Not that the Dolphins haven’t tried to move the pick, however, there just aren’t any other teams willing to spend the money to move up. This is one of those off years where no team really wants to move up. Huizenga didn’t really give any clues as to which player the Dolphins are going to take with the first pick oveall later this month. Huizenga, though, did sound a cautionary note that he was particularly concerned that the Dolphins not make a mistake with the pick. This year‘s top pick, for example, could be looking for upwards of $35M guaranteed in a 5-6 year contract after last year's top draft pick, QB JaMarcus Russell, got $31.5M in guaranteed money from Oakland. As such, a mistake with the top pick this year could severely hamper Miami against the salary cap over the next few years. And that has more than one analyst wondering if Virginia DE Chris Long, the consensus favorite to be the first player selected this year, will indeed be the top pick come April 26th. On the one hand, it appears that the Dolphins are moving toward a 3-4 scheme on defense and Long is primarily a 4-3 DE. A number of teams including Miami have worked out Long as a possible 3-4 rush LB and he reportedly hasn’t looked all that bad in those drills. However, $30M-plus is a lot to pay for a guy who is going to be playing out of position on spec. In fact, Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston, who is much quicker and explosive than Long, may be a much better fit as a pass-rushing 4-3 LB. Meanwhile, new Dolphins’ head coach Tony Sparano, an old offensive line coach by trade, was quoted this week as saying fixing the OL is the Dolphins’ main priority so Michigan OT Jake Long could look good to him. Meanwhile, LSU DT Glenn Dorsey also could be a factor, although is not a true NT type and like Chris Long might not be a great fit in the Dolphins’ scheme.
    Contextually, I assume their comment about Gholston likely refers to his fit within the 3-4, not the 4-3 as it was written. Probably a typo. But interesting thoughts nonetheless, and with that much money involved, you definitely have to look at things from a financial perspective too.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Great Blue North discusses financial implications for the top pick

Nick, then ... IF for some reason we would pick Gholston, you think Coach Haslett and Co. would be playing with the idea of using him as a LB (Ohio State variety)?

A "new" Rams Kevin Greene? Would such a potential scheme have a strong financial effect?
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-03-2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: LB / financial correlation

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    IF for some reason we would pick Gholston, you think Coach Haslett and Co. would be playing with the idea of using him as a LB (Ohio State variety)?
    I think in the 3-4 sub packages, yes, most definately. I suppose anything's worth a look when you're paying a guy that much money. You'd want to explore your options, though I think he's best suited as a 4-3 DE, as opposed to LB.

chiguy is offline Registered User

What I find interesting is that Miami is in a similar pickle to St. Louis. They also have tons of needs, but they also have plenty of reason to be underwhelmed by most of the players and therefore face a tough choice.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Very true Chiguy, only we have an offensive line and a franchise QB, unlike the Dolphins, so they're in even worse shape than us. Oh, they also have a ever so slightly better defense than us, but who's counting.

I think if we pick up Gholston, it'll mainly be to play 4-3DE, but with the kind of money you pay that pick he has to be out there every single play that he can be. Play him where ever you think he can play and get all the use out of him you can.

I found it rather interesting that the article said that Chris Long would be out of place in Miami's scheme, despite playing 3-4 DE for most of his college career, and proving at the UVA pro day that he can play 3-4 LB. First he gets knocked for not producing enough his first three years(still better than Gholston's first three), and now he's knocked for playing 4-3 DE his senior year. Of course, Dorsey got dinged too, though he could play a one gapping 3-4 DE I would bet.

Also interesting wa sthat there wasn't a mention of either Jake Long or Matt Ryan in the article. Smokescreening them, or not interested or just not mentioned?

Jake Long to Miami!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I look at need and the safest pick for Miami. They need O linemen and Jake is this the safest pick. I also think if they are going to a 3/4 Long is a reach. I would rather have Gholston, but not at 1. They have a real problem.

Presure is on them we will take Long or Long, we can't reach.

despite playing 3-4 DE for most of his college career, and proving at the UVA pro day that he can play 3-4 LB.
    True but if he did not have the year he did last year at DE in a 4/3, do you see him as the number on pick? I don't.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-03-2008 at 09:56 AM.

thoey is offline Registered User

Teke, you must have missed this line:

Meanwhile, new Dolphins’ head coach Tony Sparano, an old offensive line coach by trade, was quoted this week as saying fixing the OL is the Dolphins’ main priority so Michigan OT Jake Long could look good to him.
    This space for rent...

RealRam is online now Registered User

Assuming these two players go #1 - #2 or #2 - #1...

Who de$erve$ more then: C. Long or, V. Gholston? :x