Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Great Michael Huff Interview

Um yea there is. And it is. Not a playmaker? His senior season on there senior day he had 16 tackles, 4 FFs and 1 ITN.

RamsFan16

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

Sanders is an emerging player, but to say he is a better prospect than Huff is absurd. I know you love them hawkeye players but sometimes open your mind up to reality.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Um yea there is.
    Not according to the measurables that you brought up or the position in which Sanders was drafted.

Huff, with a bigger frame, basically matched the athletic ability of the smaller Sanders in every category.

Furthermore, Huff is widely regarded as a top pick and the top defensive back in this class, which is one of the most talent-filled in years. Sanders wasn't even a first round pick, and was the seventh DB taken in 2004.

I really don't see how you have any legs to stand on in this debate. Bob Sanders was clearly NOT a better prospect coming out of college than Michael Huff is now, nor does he without a doubt have better physical gifts.

His senior season on there senior day he had 16 tackles, 4 FFs and 1 ITN.
    Defending a professional player with college stats makes absolutely zero sense to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Lets just see if Huff makes the Pro Bowl his second year in the NFL. I bet that he doesn't. Because he isn't as gifted as Sanders. And maybe Huff is taller but no way does he have a bigger frame than Sanders. Huffs legs are tiny compared to Sanders and Huffs arms look like Pencil Lead compared to Sanders.

And I don't know why you guys say Huff is a big hitter. Every time he makes a tackle it looks like he is raping the player. He jumps on them like Steve Smith did the FG Post and falls down. My opinion.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -03-30-2006 at 09:33 AM.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Lets just see if Huff makes the Pro Bowl his second year in the NFL. I bet that he doesn't. Because he isn't as gifted as Sanders. And maybe Huff is taller but no way does he have a bigger frame than Sanders. Huffs legs are tiny compared to Sanders and Huffs arms look like Pencil Lead compared to Sanders.

And I don't know why you guys say Huff is a big hitter. Every time he makes a tackle it looks like he is raping the player. He jumps on them like Steve Smith did the FG Post and falls down. My opinion.
    RF, I wouldn't put much stock into that Pro Bowl selection. Erik Coleman, Kerry Rhodes, Lawyer Milloy, Chris Hope all had a better season than Sanders and they didn't make the Pro Bowl. So resting on Sanders' Hawaii trip doesn't say much. As well, the original idea was, who was the better draft prospect Sanders or Huff, and that isn't even close. Sanders was the 4th or 5th safety on most draft boards. Huff is the top DB in most draft boards. I just don't see how Sanders could be seen as a better prospect than Huff.

As for Huff not being a big hitter, I believe Nick has already cited several sources that say otherwise.

As for the difference in frame, Sanders is 5'8", 205. Huff is 6'0", 205. I'm no doctor, but it would seem apparent that Sanders is probably thicker than Huff since they are the same weight and Sanders is 4 inches shorter. However, that doesn't mean he has a larger frame. I'm sure Sanders has packed on a lot of muscle to his 5'8" frame, which is what a hitter should do. However, at 6'0", I can almost guarantee that Huff can pack on more weight to his 6'0" frame than the 5'8" Sanders can. So yes, Huff's 6'0" frame is larger than Sanders' 5'8" frame.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Lets just see if Huff makes the Pro Bowl his second year in the NFL.
    Why? What does the Pro Bowl prove to anyone? It certainly won't prove that he's not as physically gifted as those who made it.

Does the Pro Bowl prove that Michael Vick is one of the best QBs in the NFC because he made it over other players?

Certainly not.

And I don't know why you guys say Huff is a big hitter. Every time he makes a tackle it looks like he is raping the player. He jumps on them like Steve Smith did the FG Post and falls down.
    If you have a problem with Huff being qualified as a big hitter, call The Sporting News and Street and Smith. They put out annual draft publications and do loads of research for that. And they agree that he can deliver the wood. Again, he's not a hitter to the degree of a Roy Williams, but it seems pretty clear to me that he can lay a hit when he wants to. He's just more concerned with making a play on the ball or actually tackling a guy.

My opinion.
    Yeah, and I just wish you had something to back it up with, because then we'd actually have a debate/discussion instead of what we have right now, which is essentially you just making the same claim over and over again and ignoring the analysis that counters it completely.

You post Sanders' agility test scores to show he's "without a doubt" more physically gifted. I do a test-by-test comparison to show there is minimal difference between the two if any at all. Your response is to ask for the bench numbers, and I post the rep total, where Huff dwarfs Sanders. Your response, just continue to say Sanders is more physically gifted. You say Huff is an average hitter. I post two national scouting publications that say he's a good hitter. Your response, just continue to say he's not a big hitter.

Sorry man, but if you're just going to continue to go round and round ignoring anything that counters your view, then this really isn't worth doing.

"he's not a hitter to the degree of a Roy Williams" thats what a big hitter is. Huff is a great tackler not big hitter. There is a diffrence.

Big Hitter:
    Donovin Darius
    Sean Taylor
    Roy Williams
    Mike Brown

Great tacklers:
    Troy Polomalu
    Ed Reed
    Darren Sharper
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is online now Registered User

seems like a nice guy, would DEFINITELY fit the Rams' scheme, lets see if he's all that good on the field in the NFL......hopefully we'll be the guys to test him

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

"he's not a hitter to the degree of a Roy Williams" thats what a big hitter is. Huff is a great tackler not big hitter. There is a diffrence.
    Once again, the response to my post is simply more repetition of your claim. Essentially you're saying Huff's not a big hitter because... he's not.

Hmmm, okay.

The problem is that being able to deliver a hit and being able to tackle are not mutually exclusive skills. A player is not either one or the other, but rather can be both. There's no secret number of big hits a player has to deliver in order to be a big hitter. He either is, or he isn't. He either can, or he can't.

You list Donovin Darius as a big hitter, but he can also tackle quite well. However according to your list, he apparently can only do one. That makes no sense at all.

The great thing is I'm not even trying to claim that Huff is the best hitter in this class, but rather that he can simply lay the wood if he wants to. From what I've seen though, he likes getting his arms around guys more than just dropping a shoulder into them.

I'd really like to know who put Huff's jersey on and played in his place whenever I watched him deliver some hard hits, and what tapes TSN and S&S were watching when they wrote up a similar analysis, which they included in their annual draft publication. Oh well, I guess we'll never know.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-30-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Once again, the response to my post is simply more repetition of your claim. Essentially you're saying Huff's not a big hitter because... he's not.

Hmmm, okay.

The problem is that being able to deliver a hit and being able to tackle are not mutually exclusive skills. A player is not either one or the other, but rather can be both. There's no secret number of big hits a player has to deliver in order to be a big hitter. He either is, or he isn't. He either can, or he can't.

You list Donovin Darius as a big hitter, but he can also tackle quite well. However according to your list, he apparently can only do one. That makes no sense at all.

The great thing is I'm not even trying to claim that Huff is the best hitter in this class, but rather that he can simply lay the wood if he wants to. From what I've seen though, he likes getting his arms around guys more than just dropping a shoulder into them.

I'd really like to know who put Huff's jersey on and played in his place whenever I watched him deliver some hard hits, and what tapes TSN and S&S were watching when they wrote up a similar analysis, which they included in their annual draft publication. Oh well, I guess we'll never know.
    I'm sorry you read it that way. I meant that those guys on that list were what you consider big hitters, I never said they can't also tackle. And also that the guys I put under Great Tacklers are what they are.
    RamsFan16

That's exactly my point - you don't have to be one or the other, and Huff is one of those players who can not only tackle well but can also deliver a hit. I've seen him hit guys, TSN has seen him hit guys, S&S has seen him hit guys. Are we all watching the wrong Longhorn? I could have sworn he wore #7.

I guess its kind of stupid on my part because I've never seen him lay a hit but I suppose that those who say they have I should believe. But I definately don't want to take any playing time away from Jerome Carter. I love the guys playing style.
    RamsFan16

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

To Say Huff has pencil thin arms is ridiculous or irrelevant.

He benched Pressed more reps at the combine (21) than 300+ Alex Barron did last year. He has strength, the appearance of his arms is of no consequence.

I've seen Randy Moss take the ball away from DBs repeatedly.. I've seen him outrun them consistentlyl .. and I've seen him lay out linebackers blocking. His legs are arms are quite thin.

With 21 reps, Huff's gotta be one of the strongest DBs in the draft.

The guys a hard worker. He is well spoken and has a solid character. I don't think we'll have to worry about him failing any substance testing or getting arrested.

Benching has nothing to do with Arms. Its your chest.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    With 21 reps, Huff's gotta be one of the strongest DBs in the draft.
    According to The Sporting News' list of prospects and their measurables, no cornerback lifted more than 21 reps, while only one safety did - Fresno State's Tyrone Culver had 23.

Benching has nothing to do with Arms. Its your chest.
    Actually, it's my understanding that while the bench press targets your chest muscles, it also works your triceps as well.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-31-2006 at 01:21 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast