Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Which is the greatest need?

We have debated both the merits and perceived shortcomings of the "Big 4" for weeks now regarding who the Rams should acquire with their 1st rd selection. So .. the jist of this thread is not which one guy is better than all the rest. Instead I am posing the question: Which do we really need the most this year? Help on the O-line or help on the D-Line?

With aging one-time star Orlando Pace purportedly on schedule with his rehab, and Steussie backing him up, (I am presuming the Rams will sign him) on paper we look ok - kinda sorta. Stuessie filled in admirably in 2006 for big O, but he is two years older and coming off an injury as well. Add in the fact that J. Bell can fill in at either tackle spot, along with Barron having put in time at LT, and we likely can get by for another year there. In the middle we have decent depth at guard, patricularly if Romberg beats out Setterstrom for center. There is also the chance we may still add a veteran center or guard via FA according to our beleaguered coach.

On the other side of the ball we have aging star Leonard Little returning on schedule with his rehab to man one end, with a journeyman DE manning the other side who played hurt most of last year and underwhelmed. Behind those guys there isn't much at all. I feel Carriker is still a question mark as his type of injury sometimes takes a full year for recovery, but even if he is healthy, there isn't much quality depth there. Glover is now a situational guy, and Wroten regardless of the recent fluff article on how he's seen the light, cannot IMHO be counted on heavily if at all. Cliff Ryan played well last year, and should improve this year.

Without debating which player of the available DL guys is the best (we've already been there), if J. Long is available when we pick -- which need is greater .. O-line or D-line?

My vote is for the D-line, but there are certainly valid arguments for going O-line. My reason for choosing D-line as the most immediate need is that we appear to have enough firepower to squeak by for another year with our existing talent on the O-line, coupled with the fact that from what I have read so far, next years draft will be deep in OTs. Add to that our perennial Pollyanna's prediction (that would be Tx for any newbies who are curious) that we'll be selecting in the top 5 next year, then we should be able to grab our future OT in 2009. Thoughts ??
    Last edited by MauiRam; -04-06-2008 at 03:09 PM.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: Which is the greates need?

I think you hit the nail on the head. We got nothin at DE. 3.5 sacks our of our starters who are old and injury prone to say the least. If our O line stays healthy, we can get by. If our D line stays healthy, we still got nothin. We need to draft D line, especially DE.

keith m. klink Guest

HEY , MAUI ! here is a shot at what we have on the roster . You can make up your mind on your pick by seeing what we actually have today .

D-LINEMAN DE'S

L . LITTLE - 33YRS
    J . HALL - 31YRS
    V. A .
    E . MOORE
    C.J. AH YOU

DT'S

L. GLOVER - 33YRS
    C. WROTEN
    C. RYAN
    A. CARRIKER

O-LINEMAN :

O.PACE - OT , 32YRS
    A.BARRON - OT
    B. GORIN - OT ( can also play GUARD )
    A.GOLGBERG - OT ( can also play GUARD )
    R. PETITTI - OT
    M. LAVOIR - OT

M. SETTERSTROM - G ( can also play CENTER )
    J. BELL - G ( can also play both TACKLE positions as well as GUARD)
    R. INCOGNITO - G ( can also play CENTER )
    D. FRY - G ( a CENTER , but will be moved to GUARD. can play both. )

B. ROMBERG - C
    D. RAIOLA - C
    N. LECKEY - C

So you guy's make the choice , this would be mine .

I think that these are the positions of importance to me AND HOW THEY RANKin my mind .

1 , DE
    2 , S
    3 , WR
    4 , QB
    5 , C
    6 , OT
    7, LB
    Last edited by keith m. klink; -04-05-2008 at 08:39 PM.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Klink, I am interested to know why QB is so high on your list. I too would like a young QB to develop, but all 3 positions you listed as being less of a need than a QB I think I would put as higher need than QB. Just wondering your thought process on this.

RANDYRAM Guest

I would not have QB that high eather

I might go

1 DE/OLB speed rusher
    2 RB speed or DE/OLB speed rusher
    3 SS or FS , CB
    4 WR or DT
    5 QB or DE speed rusher
    6 OL or FB or WR
    7 OL or DB
    7b WR

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    I would not have QB that high eather

I might go
    The question was: Which need is greater O-line or D-line .. regarding our 1st round pick ..

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Defensive Line. Specifically, Defensive End.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-06-2008 at 02:46 AM.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    The question was: Which need is greater O-line or D-line .. regarding our 1st round pick ..
    D Line is the greater need!!

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Which is the greatest need?

I'd stay with the defensive line in the first, offensive like in the second. There's no way we can ignore the o-line, we need to hit them both on the first day. In the second round, though if Kenny Phillips, Dejuan Morgan or Malcolm Kelly are there I'd say pick one of them.

bigredman is offline Registered User

There are powerful arguments for bolstering our defensive line. It is, after all, the defensive line that all other defensive positions rely upon for success. Good defensive linemen keep the offensive linemen off the linebackers, and provide pressure on the quarterback which lessens the time the secondary must cover. Good defensive linemen also keep the runner out of the secondary by either making the tackle within five yards of the line of scrimmage or slow the runner up enough for linebacker support.

That said, I say our offensive line is our greatest need to be addressed at this point. Offensive lines need time to gel, and it also takes longer to learn and become good at that position than on defense. A good offensive line not only provides success on offense, but defense as well. You can't sustain offensive drives that result in scoring without a good offensive line, and sustaining offensive drives that score are invaluable to defensive success (keeps their offense off the field, gives our players rest to stay fresh, and takes other offense out of their game plan to catch up, making them more vulnerable).

While "immediate" gratification would be quenched by going defensive line, we need to select now for future success for the offensive line. Our patchwork method in the past in addressing our offensive line needs has been a disaster. Think of the offensive line like that of the foundation of a house. Without it, all the timber built atop it tumbles.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    There are powerful arguments for bolstering our defensive line. It is, after all, the defensive line that all other defensive positions rely upon for success. Good defensive linemen keep the offensive linemen off the linebackers, and provide pressure on the quarterback which lessens the time the secondary must cover. Good defensive linemen also keep the runner out of the secondary by either making the tackle within five yards of the line of scrimmage or slow the runner up enough for linebacker support.

That said, I say our offensive line is our greatest need to be addressed at this point. Offensive lines need time to gel, and it also takes longer to learn and become good at that position than on defense. A good offensive line not only provides success on offense, but defense as well. You can't sustain offensive drives that result in scoring without a good offensive line, and sustaining offensive drives that score are invaluable to defensive success (keeps their offense off the field, gives our players rest to stay fresh, and takes other offense out of their game plan to catch up, making them more vulnerable).

While "immediate" gratification would be quenched by going defensive line, we need to select now for future success for the offensive line. Our patchwork method in the past in addressing our offensive line needs has been a disaster. Think of the offensive line like that of the foundation of a house. Without it, all the timber built atop it tumbles.
    Well written post illustrating good points as to why we should go O-line .. I am still on the other side of the fence seeking the "instant gratification" that would be derived from watching opposing QBs having to run for their lives for a change instead of having time to tie their shoes before throwing.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. Defensive End - With both our current starting ends over 30 and coming off disappointing seasons marred by injury, we will need at least one new starter in the near future. Even if both Little and Hall return healthy, the defensive line is one spot teams really like to be able to rotate in fresh legs. So even if a draftee does not have to immediately start, depth is slightly more important here than other places.

2. Wide Receiver - Our no. 1 receiver is over 30 and has a bad knee. Our no. 2 receiver is coming off a bad season and will be 30 in August. It's anyone's guess who our no. 3 is, but if it's Looker, he's over 30, too. Like defensive end, this is a position where potentially we could have to replace both of our starters within the next 3 years.

3. Safety - It probably won't be addressed early in this draft because of the shallow talent pool, but Corey Chavous probably has one year left, and one of our primary backups at safety (Bartell) is also a primary backup at corner. If Brown is out at corner, Bartell gets bumped up to being nickelback and primary backup to 3 positions on the defense. Here we could really use a backup who could be an eventual starter if not an immediate upgrade over Chavous.

4. Offensive Tackle - Pace might last another 3 or 4 years, but coming off two season-ending injuries, there's a legitimate question as to whether he'll ever return to Pro Bowl form. Barron has yet to prove he is anything more than an average peformer with way above average penalties. We definitely need a backup, but it would be nice if he could be an eventual starter.

5. Cornerback - This is only if Brown is actually going to be gone next season. With Brown and Hill backed up by Wade and Bartell, we're in decent shape. If Wade is our number 2 and Bartell is number 3, depth doesn't look so hot...especially if safety isn't addressed. Bartell can't be our only backup plan at every position in the defensive backfield.

6. Quarterback - We just need a developmental player to fill in if Bulger and Green go down while learning from them. Ideally, we'd pick up a player with lots of upside.

Not Priorities:
    Tight End - We might have the best starting TE tandem in the league with McMichael and Becht.
    Runningback - Between Grade A back Steven Jackson and the two youngsters, Leonard and Pittman, we're in pretty good shape.
    Offensive Guard - Between Bell, Incognito, and Setterstrom, the depth doesn't look so bad. Even if Setterstrom winds up starting at center he could still slide back in an emergency and let Romberg step back in at center. So our injury fill-in scenario would give us the same starting lineup we had at the beginning of 2007.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Thanks Maui....by the way...I see you haven't gotten around to putting up an avatar...so I made you one....
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Ofcourse DE is our priority. We have two DT's, so Dorsey isnt a need.

I think we have pretty much fixed our OL, so Jake Long isn't a need

We have NO DE on the other side of Little, so we need Chris Long or Vernon Gholston.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I think we have pretty much fixed our OL, so Jake Long isn't a need
    Wouldn't the word "patched" be more accurate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast