Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Greg Cosell on Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Greg Cosell on Auburn OT Greg Robinson

NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes Auburn T Greg Robinson has a long way to go to become a finished product.

"I think he has a ton of potential as a road grading, run blocking offensive tackle," Cosell began. "I think he is a work in progress in pass protection... there would be questions, not concerns, on how he would pass protect on an island against edge speed." Our own Josh Norris has shared these same questions, since Robinson frequently was asked to block inside or double team in pass protection sets.
    Cosell also said that he wouldn't be surprised at all if some people down the road feel Robinson has Pace-like potential.

Full audio of the interview is here...

http://stationcaster.com/stations/wg...1395860406.mp3

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Greg Cosell on Auburn OT Greg Robinson

Well if this is accurate we're down to Mathews or Watkins at #2.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd be more than happy if we took Robinson, but I'd still prefer to go with the surer bet in Matthews if an offensive lineman is the pick at #2.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Pretty much what Fisher had to say about him.

“He’s young. I believe he’s got tremendous upside,” Fisher said. “Probably has not taken as many snaps in a pro-style offense as Lewan, the Michigan tackle. But he’s very athletic and he has flexibility — he could move in, play guard or the other tackle as well. Probably gonna take him a little more time.”

This does not bother me, we have time. He can come in and play Guard year one and then move out to RT. Bartsdale is a free agent next year as we all know.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-28-2014 at 12:41 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

“He’s young. I believe he’s got tremendous upside,” Fisher said. “Probably has not taken as many snaps in a pro-style offense as Lewan, the Michigan tackle. But he’s very athletic and he has flexibility — he could move in, play guard or the other tackle as well. Probably gonna take him a little more time.”

This does not bother me, we have time. He can come in and play Guard year one and then move out to RT. Barksdale is a free agent next year as we all know.
    The fact that we were able to retain Saffold, would give us "a little more time." I don't care who we pick in the first round, as long as one of those picks is either Matthews or Robinson. As to Robinson, I agree with Rambos - his road grading abilities would be a most welcome addition at LG.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    The fact that we were able to retain Saffold, would give us "a little more time." I don't care who we pick in the first round, as long as one of those picks is either Matthews or Robinson. As to Robinson, I agree with Rambos - his road grading abilities would be a most welcome addition at LG.
    Could you imagine him in full road grader mode and then Saffold pulling behind him to seek and destroy, while Stacy rolls behind these two? I can!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

In his entire life, Robinson has played the OT position in passing downs <450x. That's in a very weird run first offense. Never played OT in high school. In his entire life he's played guard for 2 years back in high school.

In 2013 alone, Jake Matthews pass blocked on over 450 passing downs.

Robinson is the definition of "project". Even projecting him to play guard is a major question mark.

Playing offensive line is all about leverage. Either you know how to use it and can manipulate players using it or you don't. If you plan on playing with just raw physical talent and over powering the defender, you'll fail just as soon as the defense figures it out.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -03-28-2014 at 02:02 PM.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

This does not bother me, we have time. He can come in and play Guard year one and then move out to RT. Bartsdale is a free agent next year as we all know.
    How much time do we have? Yes in reality the Rams have an infinite asmout of years to do whatever they want. However, how much time do we have?

Id like the to see the Rams establish a *****/Steelers/Patriots dynasty while Im alive.

Unfortuantley, or fortunatley in this draft we sit at 2. At that position, if a team were to select an Olineman, that Olineman better be fully developed.
    In our day of the NFL, that lineman better be able to put on his dancing shoes as he has to be able to waltz with the Warhammer 40K Space MArines of the NFL-- the Pass Rushers.

I would think with the coming and going of Jason Smith many of you would be leary of a guy-from-nowhere-suddenly the next primarch-godlineman.

This draft has too much depth and value. Fisher wants us to think he wants a run oriented offense, but in todays NFL, Fisher would be a fool if he thought he doesnt need a passing game.

Robinson is more like a Michael Oher IMO-- not a bad thing at all, but certainly not a #2 pick.

I feel we can get a superior tackle at 13 and X at 2 if we stay put. I do also feel that if we can, we need to trade that 2 spot, move down slightly, get a great player for the trade, and pick up another great player at 13.
    Randart likes this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Well if this is accurate we're down to Mathews or Watkins at #2.
    How quickly some people forget about BPA Clowney!!!!!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't know about anybody else, but what I gather from coach Fisher's recent comments, is that he is not nearly as convinced as some of you appear to be, that the Oline needs 1st round upgrading.

When asked if it was safe to assume that Oline was a major priority going into the draft, he said to Jeff Darlington, "that is your assumption, not ours."

Then went on to say, "we'll probably address it at some point, don't know when."

I suppose it could be a smokescreen, but it certainly didn't sound like it to me.

general counsel is offline Registered User

A smokescreen is only effective when it doesnt sound like one. That is a fundemental concept in negotiation or the art of deception. I agree with Fortune that coach sounds very convincing. All the more reason that none of us have any idea what his words really means with respect to his intentions in the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    How much time do we have? Yes in reality the Rams have an infinite asmout of years to do whatever they want. However, how much time do we have?

Id like the to see the Rams establish a *****/Steelers/Patriots dynasty while Im alive.

Unfortuantley, or fortunatley in this draft we sit at 2. At that position, if a team were to select an Olineman, that Olineman better be fully developed.
    In our day of the NFL, that lineman better be able to put on his dancing shoes as he has to be able to waltz with the Warhammer 40K Space MArines of the NFL-- the Pass Rushers.

I would think with the coming and going of Jason Smith many of you would be leary of a guy-from-nowhere-suddenly the next primarch-godlineman.

This draft has too much depth and value. Fisher wants us to think he wants a run oriented offense, but in todays NFL, Fisher would be a fool if he thought he doesnt need a passing game.

Robinson is more like a Michael Oher IMO-- not a bad thing at all, but certainly not a #2 pick.

I feel we can get a superior tackle at 13 and X at 2 if we stay put. I do also feel that if we can, we need to trade that 2 spot, move down slightly, get a great player for the trade, and pick up another great player at 13.
    Can we equip our offensive linemen with power swords? That usually works fairly well .

No more projects at critical positions..please.
    Mikey likes this.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but what I gather from coach Fisher's recent comments, is that he is not nearly as convinced as some of you appear to be, that the Oline needs 1st round upgrading.

When asked if it was safe to assume that Oline was a major priority going into the draft, he said to Jeff Darlington, "that is your assumption, not ours."

Then went on to say, "we'll probably address it at some point, don't know when."

I suppose it could be a smokescreen, but it certainly didn't sound like it to me.
    I think most of us probably read what we wanted to read in those comments. The truth of the matter is, Fisher and Snead aren't giving away what they're planning to do in a pre-draft media session.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think most of us probably read what we wanted to read in those comments. The truth of the matter is, Fisher and Snead aren't giving away what they're planning to do in a pre-draft media session.
    You're probably correct about Fisher not giving away draft plans, but when you add to his words, the fact that he's never actually drafted an Olineman in the 1st round (for what ever reason), I believe this goes beyond your typical "don't say anything that might tip your hand", rhetoric we might hear from other coaches.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-30-2014 at 07:05 PM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Every time we have one of these threads about Robinson I inadvertently think about Jason Smith. Its not really fair to Robinson, especially since I haven't seen him play. But, I still do think it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast